Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 29>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 3:19pm
Thanks Mike for the update.  I have not hunted that area but have friends that do and I know the area.  Yes to the hat.
Stay safe out there.  Thank you and all the fire fighters for what you do.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 12:59pm
We drive through Big Horn on our way out to Yellowstone 10 or so years ago and that is a lovely place. Be safe up there.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 1:50am
Mike a friend of mine posted a travel restriction notice I thought I would repost it here to check travel  routes  coming from Denver. This road closure could make travel fun on 285. If you have travel updates to this can you advise us. Stay safe working those fires!

Full closure on US 285 over South Fork of South Platte bridge replacement to begin August 2

PARK COUNTY — The Colorado Department of Transportation will begin full closures on US 285 over South Fork of South Platte at MP 172.2 to MP 172.5 on Monday. Access to all local roadways will be maintained during the closure. The off-site detour will utilize CO 9 and US 24. The project, located in Park County, has multiple locations, US 285 at MP 172.2 to 173.5, CO 9 at MP 63, and US 24 at MP 47.5. Zak Dirt Inc. has been selected as the contractor for this project. Work is expected to be completed in the fall, weather permitting.

Work will require a three month full closure on US 285 with an offsite detour utilizing CO 9 and US 24. Work will include rebuilding the approaches to the bridge and replacing the guardrail. Work will also include wetland mitigation and a stream diversion utilized to complete the bridge work. The project will consist of one bridge replacement, bridge rail and guardrail replacement and roadway reconstruction for the bridge approach. This project will benefit motorists by making the bridge safer and improving the driving experience. 

Travel Impacts 
Travelers will encounter a full road closure of US 285 at MP 172.2 to MP 172.5 beginning July 26 and continuing through October. Access to all local roadways will be maintained during the closure. Travelers will utilize the offsite detour on CO 9 and US 24. 
Single lane closures and shoulder closures will be in effect at CO 9 at MP 47.57 to MP 47.65, as well as on CO 9 at MP 63.66 to MP 63.73. Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for heavy equipment. At times, through lanes and turn lanes may be temporarily closed to traffic causing brief travel delays. Any temporary closures are to ensure the safety of the workers and the traveling public. Motorists should slow down, drive with caution and give themselves extra travel time.

Stay Informed 
For additional information about this project, contact the project team. 
• Project hotline: (719) 249-4995
• Project email: us285bridgereplacement@gmail.com

Travelers are urged to “know before you go.” Gather information about weather forecasts, anticipated travel impacts and current road conditions prior to hitting the road. CDOT resources include:
• Road conditions and travel information: www.COtrip.org ;
• Project or travel alerts: bit.ly/COalerts
• Scheduled lane closures: codot.gov/travel/scheduled-lane-closures.html 
• Social media: Twitter @coloradodot and Facebook facebook.com/coloradodot

Notice to Commercial Truckers and Through Travelers on US 50
West bound commercial truck drivers and other travelers should be aware of major closures due to the US 50 Little Blue Creek Canyon project, located west of Gunnison. Travel time between Sargents and the Little Blue Creek Canyon closure point is approximately 1.5 hours. Travelers are urged to plan ahead. Visit the project website for more information about the US 50 Little Blue Creek Canyon Project: www.us50info.com.

About CDOT
CDOT’s Whole System-Whole Safety program has one simple mission — to get everyone home safely. Our approximately 3,000 employees work tirelessly to reduce the rate and severity of crashes and improve the safety of all modes of transportation. The department manages more than 23,000 lane miles of highway, more than 3,000 bridges and 35 mountain passes. CDOT also manages grant partnerships with a range of agencies, including metropolitan planning organizations, local governments and airports. It also operates Bustang, the state-owned interregional express bus service. Gov. Jared Polis has charged CDOT to further build on the state’s intermodal mobility options.
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 8:44am
Yikes!
Hadn't heard about that one yet. That will increase traffic in Summit County.

Another alternate route if folks are coming from Kansas, Nebraska and points north and east.
Take I-70 west out if Denver (going to be a long uphill pull and the long downhill from the tunnels, make sure your brakes are in good working order and take it easy) then take the Copper Mtn exit (Exit 195) - Hwy 91, go up through Leadville and connect with Hwy 24. This brings you into Buena Vista from the north side.
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 9:01am
Kevin, I just checked on the 285 closure and I think the detour around it looks to be only an additional 8 to 10 minutes (about 8 miles) .So it shouldn't be a big deal. Also the closure at little blue creek canyon is not in effect on Saturdays and sundays. Other than that it is opened twice a day for travel but I don't know what times. At least that is the case at this time. There is a chance though that there will be some one way traffic there. I live in Montrose so we hear info on little blue creek canyon often. Hope this helps our friends coming in.  Mike (a different mike)   
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 9:53am
Kevin, thanks for letting us all know about the construction on Hwy 285.  So for folks coming from the east, avoid Hwy 285.  Take Hwy 24 from Limon, CO through Colorado Springs toward Buena Vista.  Or take Hwy 50 up from Pueblo, CO.  The advantage of Hwy 50 is that there are no passes to go over on the way from Pueblo to Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Hwy 24 has 3 passes to go over, but all 3 are under 10,000 feet elevation.  Another option is to take I-70 up to Copper Mountain Ski area, then take 91 over to Leadville, and come south on Hwy 24.  

From the west, take I-70 to Minturn, then go south on Hwy 24 to Buena Vista.  Then take Hwy 285 south to Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Or take Hwy 50 from Grand Junction over Monarch Pass into Poncha Springs.  Then take Hwy 285 north to Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  

We will watch for other highway closures as the time draws near, and we'll post recommendations for route changes.  Thanks Traci and Mike for your travel info.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 7:44pm
Any route recommendations for those of us coming from the West California, Nevada, Oregon and so on?
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 8:40pm
I'm coming from SW Oregon.   My plan is to take I70 east to Grand Junction and get on 50 from there, through Montrose and Gunnison to Salida.

Edit:  There was a bad slide a few days ago near Glenwood Springs on I70.   It may or may not be cleared up by FCT time, which means that taking I70 east to highway 24 is likely not possible.

Edited by tamnalan - 03 Aug. 2021 at 11:08pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I'm coming from SW Oregon.   My plan is to take I70 east to Grand Junction and get on 50 from there, through Montrose and Gunnison to Salida.

Just be aware that Hwy 50 between Montrose and Gunnison is closed Monday through Friday for construction.
I-70 is still closed in Glenwood Canyon and there has been significant damage to parts of the highway there, no estimated time of reopening.

Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 11:13pm
Aww cr@p!   Didn't know about the construction on 50.

I'm a USAF retiree... maybe I can arrange a JPADS airdrop into Thirsty Dirt Ranch.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Aww cr@p!   Didn't know about the construction on 50.

I'm a USAF retiree... maybe I can arrange a JPADS airdrop into Thirsty Dirt Ranch.

That might be the ticket for this year.
Another option is come in through Wyoming, might have to backtrack a little and there may be some additional traffic if Glenwood is still closed, or closed again.... but it seems to be the only route with minimal issues at this time.
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 11:16pm
I just found out that the work on  Hwy 50 out of Montrose has been suspended till I70 is opened. The work on 285 has been delayed also. Rumor has it that because of the damage on I 70 it may be closed for several weeks. at this time no estimate as to when it will be opened. The traffic on 50 will probably be heavier because of that.  Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

I just found out that the work on  Hwy 50 out of Montrose has been suspended till I70 is opened. The work on 285 has been delayed also. Rumor has it that because of the damage on I 70 it may be closed for several weeks. at this time no estimate as to when it will be opened. The traffic on 50 will probably be heavier because of that.  Mike

Good to know Mike! I hadn't heard about that yet, only know it's still raining here at my place. 0.60 inches today for a total of 1.58 this month and we had over 4 inches the last 2 weeks of July. Great for reducing the current fire danger, but not great for the burn scars. 
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 8:10am
I doubt that I-70 will be open before FCT.  Not only do they have lots and lots of rock to get rid of, but they have to make repairs to the safety walls and the pavement.  That will take months to finish.  So they have established a bypass that runs from Rifle to Meeker to Craig to Steamboat Springs to Kremmling to Silverthorn.  Then you turn west from Silverthorn to Copper Mountain and follow 91 over Fremont Pass at 11,318 feet to Leadville.  Then follow Hwy 24 to Buena Vista, then 285 almost to Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  That detour will take most of a day to drive.  The better option is to take Hwy 50 from Grand Junction east to Poncha Springs, then 285 north toward TDR.  That is if the construction west of Montrose is stopped until I-70 is reopened.  

If you're coming from AZ, NM, or SoCal, you might want to take I-40 to I-25 to Hwy 285.  I don't think there's any construction along that route.  285 will take you from Santa Fe almost to TDR.  One of the joys of living in the mountains is that if one route is blocked, you may have to make a long detour to get where you're going.  In early September we'll post some updates to the road closures so you can plan your trip with the least extra miles from detours.  

On another note, I'm back from the Crater Ridge Fire in northern Wyoming. It's not out, but we built a fire break all around it.  And when I pulled up the 2APAGE this morning I got a message that another primary was dropping out.  So I'll go back to the alternate list again to try to fill the spot.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 8:35am
Mike,  If they do restart the work on 50  before the FCT, There is another way if anyone is coming through Grand junction. I won't give directions for now just to save confusion but it is about 30 min longer and part of it is a pretty winding road but it is all paved and it gets you passed the construction. I was on it last year and it was in pretty good shape. If they do start the construction up before FCT, I will give directions here.  Mike
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 12:42pm
Nice to know we got travel options!!  :)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 5:58am
Mike, thanks for monitoring the Hwy 50 construction for us.  I appreciate that you have a bypass that will work if they start up the construction again.  

Alan, since mother nature is moving mountains to stop us, we'll keep working on options to keep you all safe while on your way here.  

Traci, thanks for your updates on I-70.  And all the stuff you're collecting to help us with FCT.  The pile is getting bigger. 

We must be coming to "crunch time" for some folks on whether or not their Jeep is ready for FCT.  I just had 2 more Primary folks pull out because their Jeeps were not in shape for FCT.  I do appreciate that each of them made an honest assessment of their situation and decided to pull out in time for an Alternate to fill their slot.  So I've got two more calls to make this morning.  That brings me to 9 Primary positions that I've had to go to alternates to fill.  I also appreciate that the Alternates are hanging onto hope that they will get called to replace a Primary, and that they are ready to come join us.  

I've been accused of creating a breakdown with my Jeep to make other folks feel less bad about their breakdown while out on the trails.  Honestly, it's just an old machine, and it breaks when it wants to.  And speaking of old, I figured out that the Blue Mule is 69 years old this year.  And we've owned it for 49 of those years.  I bought it in July 1972, and it's been in the family ever since.  

Edited by m38mike - 06 Aug. 2021 at 6:05am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 7:37am
We all break Mike. Jeeps and people. This has been a tough year for many. I feel bad for those that lost their homes to fire. I think most will find their way to the FCT with a bit of detour. Good luck to all. I enjoyed Jeeping with you and Nancy. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 29>