Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 29>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 12:50pm
Good news! Thank you, Mike...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2021 at 6:28am
I have never had such a high turnover rate as I have seen for this year.  So far I have had 16 primary slots open up, and I have gone through 30 Alternates to fill those 16 positions.  This is about twice as many replacements as I usually have to work on.  I now have 18 newbies in my group of 50.  That's 36% of the group have never been here before.  This has already become an interesting year.  

Later this morning, Marcus and I will go look at our CORE project area to figure out what tools we'll need.  We'll see if we have a limit to the number of Jeeps and/or people we can have at the site.  We'll also look at what we will need for materials to do the work.  

My good friend Rick came by yesterday and mowed the field behind the shop for space to park trailers and space for campers to park their rigs.  I'm still cleaning, sorting, and organizing all my stuff in the shop.  The more things I move, the more sawdust and dirt I'm finding to sweep up.  I'm almost done with outside work to get ready for FCT.  Most of what I have left to do is inside the shop.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2021 at 7:45am
M38Mike -
 Impressive effort preparing for this event. Hoping some day I might have my old beater ready to attend.
  -- Dasvis
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 7:48am
Taking a look at the 15 day forecast for weather, it looks like FCT will be sunny and dry all week.  Should be beautiful for taking pictures, as long as the smoke from the west coast fires stays away.  Temperatures will be cool though.  Highs are expected to be in the high 60's.  Low's will be in the high 30's.  Mornings will be calm but afternoons will be breazy with winds between 15 and 25 mph.  Those are the predicted temps and breezes here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  

For every 1,000 feet rise in elevation we can expect the temperature to go down between 3-5 degrees.  And the winds on the high meadows and mountainsides can be double what we will get in the valley.  So what does that all mean to you?  If the afternoon high at TDR is 68 degrees at 8,000 feet elevation, and we are Jeeping at 11,000 feet, the temperature could be as chilly as 53 degrees.  And if the wind is blowing at 15 mph at TDR, it could be blowing at 30 mph in a high mountain saddle.  The combination of low 50's temps and 30 mph winds will make it feel like it's only about 35 to 40 degrees sitting in your Jeep on the mountain at 11,000 feet.  

Again, what does that mean to you?  It means bring layers to wear to stay warm.  Flannel shirts, sweatshirts, windbreaker jackets, knit hats, gloves, maybe an old blanket for covering passengers.  Walking shoes or hiking boots instead of sandals.  Have some of these things in a backpack or duffle bag in the Jeep so they are available if you want them.  That weather model above was a worst case example.  The probability is that if it's 68 at TDR it'll be about 60 at 11,000 feet, and if the breeze is 15 at TDR it could be calm on the mountain top.  The mountains affect the weather in lots of ways, depending on the direction that the weather is coming from.  Be prepared for the worst and you'll enjoy all the rest.  

But the fact that it will be sunny all week means that our Jeeping will likely be with tops off the Jeeps, and probably with windshields down while we're on the trails.  Of course you can always leave your top on and windshield up if you want protection from the high elevation sun.  

We were up at 12,000 feet yesterday near Pomeroy Lakes looking at our CORE project sites, and we noticed that there are pockets of aspen starting to turn yellow.  Most aspen are still green, but the green is getting lighter in color.  I believe we are going to catch the color change right at it's peak for most of the areas that we will be jeeping in.  And speaking of the CORE project, we'll be doing that on Wednesday.  Be sure to bring good leather gloves and sturdy boots to wear.  We'll be moving rocks and logs.  If you have short chains or straps we could use them, along with a winch, to move some of the larger rocks or tree-length logs.  If you have a cant hook or peavey for rolling logs in your firewood tools, they would be handy to have for this project.  Please bring them. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 10:16am
For the new folks attending.... some other things to bring.

Sunscreen, even if it does cloud up or is smokey, you need sunscreen, the sun at those altitudes is brutal.

Wide brim hat to help protect you from the sun, make sure it has a strap or ties, the wind can take it in a heartbeat.

Sunglasses, you need to protect your eyes from the sun as well.

Lots and lots of water, stay hydrated, it will save your life and help with any altitude sickness symptoms.

I always have a cold weather gear bag in Tater, the weather can change quickly in the mountains. I carry a pair of insulated overalls, extra warm hats, gloves and extra sweatshirt and socks in that bag. ALWAYS be prepared!
Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
OffroadDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OffroadDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 2:46pm
Hi folks, unfortunately Elaine and I won't be able to attend this year. Work interferes.

So I will be canceling my reservation at the Super 8 motel in Buena Vista.
My reservation ran from Saturday afternoon, the 18th through Saturday morning, the 26th.

Most motels are sold out, so if you need a room, here's your chance. The motel's phone # is (866) 944 - 0808

I hope this helps someone. Have fun!
1959 Willys CJ-3B
1995 Jeep Wrangler
oldwillysforum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldwillysforum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 7:52pm
I got the call too, totally surprised since I was about 38 on the alternate list...
First time to the FCT, looking forward getting Barnacle Will in the high country and to seeing you all there.
Cheers,
Pete

Edited by oldwillysforum - 10 Sep. 2021 at 7:53pm
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

There will be no potluck dinner this year.  We are still too close to covid.  That would be the most likely time for covid to affect some of us.  Again, no potluck dinner this year.  

Thanks Mike for the update and all that you and Nancy and the "A" team do to make it happen. No doubt a wise idea to forgo the potluck dinner.
One question, if you still plan to do the raffle,for the new folks and some of us old ones that might need a reminder, could you tell us how it works?

1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

One question, if you still plan to do the raffle,for the new folks and some of us old ones that might need a reminder, could you tell us how it works?

Yes I can.  We start by soliciting donations from a number of Off-Road supporting companies like Warn, or Rugged Radios, etcetera.  Sometimes participants will donate parts or kits or artwork for the raffle.  We will lay all the raffle items out on tables in the shop all week for folks to see.  Along with the items we'll have two rolls of tickets for folks to buy.  Some of the raffle items will be shown as high value items.  Things like new winches, or special artwork like Kate's quilts are good examples.  Items valued below $200 go into the regular raffle.  One roll of tickets are for the high value items, one roll for the regular raffle items.  High value item tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20.  Regular tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5.  Buy as many as you want.  You keep half of each ticket.  The other half with matching serial numbers, goes into a bucket.  Thursday evening we will start pulling tickets out of the bucket and calling numbers. If your number is called, either for high value or regular, then you come up and choose the prize you want from the group of donated items.  It's winner's choice.  And we'll pull tickets and call numbers until all the items are gone.  

The proceeds from the raffle go towards the expenses I have for putting on this event, like renting portable toilets, or trash service, or permits to have the event, or building facilities to improve the conditions for camping like the shower shed.  I hope that explains it reasonably well.  If you have more questions, ask away.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2021 at 12:22pm
Are any of the restaurants in BV or Salida going to be open in the evenings or are they all closing early like the rest of the country?

Edited by jpet - 12 Sep. 2021 at 12:23pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 3:10am
Jpet, most of the restaurants in BV or Salida close between 8 and 9 oclock.  Most of the bars that stay open past midnight also serve food.  Just gotta make the commitment to get off the mountain in time to clean up and go eat.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 8:25am

Jpet, most of the restaurants in BV or Salida close between 8 and 9 oclock.  Most of the bars that stay open past midnight also serve food.  Just gotta make the commitment to get off the mountain in time to clean up and go eat.  
Well, that's good to hear. Around here and lots of places that I travel to, the restaurants are closing early because they can't get help.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 9:30am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Well, that's good to hear. Around here and lots of places that I travel to, the restaurants are closing early because they can't get help.

Jeff, I can personally recommend Las Camelinas on First Street in Salida for really good Mexican food. I might be a challenge to get to Happy Hour from 3PM to 6PM, from TDR, but the beer and other drinks are just as cold at 6:01 and after. The owner is there to supervise your enjoyment of her cuisine. I have been there the last two years and plan to go back this year at least a couple of times.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 11:10am
Hi Mike,
Can you give a US285 update? Is the bridge work still ongoing on 285 ?  There isn't an update on the colorado highway website since I70 caused so many traffic detours. Is taking Highway 9 after Fairplay to US 24 toward Hartzel turning back to 285 at Antero Junction the best route or is 285 open all the way with no detours ? 

Thanks in advance. 
Kevin 
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 9:08pm
Mike, Just wondering, since it is getting close to FCT how are the supplies for the shop looking. Are you short of anything particular that we can help you with?  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 3:42am
Hi Kevin, Here's your 285 update.  It's open all the way through from Denver to Johnson Village.  There is construction along the way, but the detour down Hwy 9 to Hartzel is not being used yet.  I drove it a week ago coming back from my nephew's wedding in Cheyenne, WY.  So 285 is a good route to travel if you're coming from Denver.  If I were coming west to Colorado on I-70, I would get off at Limon and take Hwy 24 from Limon to Colorado Springs to Buena Vista.  Then take 285 from BV south to Nathrop and then to the Thirsty Dirt Ranch.

I-70 is open from the west through Glenwood Canyon where the big rock and mud slide happened.  They have one lane east bound and one lane westbound open full time.  That's good news for those folks coming from the west.  Now you can come up on I-70 to Hwy 24 and follow 24 to Buena Vista.  

Mike, I think I'm OK  on oil and grease.  Antifreeze is probably the one fluid that I'm low on.  I'm also low on paper shop towels.  If anyone has spare parts at home that they are not going to use, or the part is for a different model of jeep, or they just have too many, we could use those parts to help keep another jeep up and running down the trails.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 11:03am
I just cancelled a double room at the Best Western in Buena Vista if someone was looking ...

Just got my cancellation notice 5 minutes ago, so they should have a room for check in sept 19 check out saturday the 26th...
Kevin Boog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Boog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 4:17pm
Thank you for the local road update Mike. Makes planning the travel route a lot less stressful. A question i forgot to ask us what is the local fuel prices like? Meth free is still over $4 here in Thornton and north Denver, regular nolead is about $0.50 less. Just trying to plan fuel budget. 

Thanks in advance for all you do and looking forward to the weekend 😀 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 29>