Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 3:38am
Kevin, local fuel prices have been between 3.50 and 4.00 per gallon, both regular and premium.  Diesel is running just a dime below that.  I don't recall seeing any fuel over 4.00 a gallon locally.  But I'm afraid we could see fuel above 4.00 sometime soon.  

I finished mowing campsites this afternoon.  Then I went through each area looking for cactus.  I pulled all the cactus that I found in the mowed areas for camping and dumped them in the tall grass areas.  I did not pull cactus in the trailer parking area.  That would take me a week to clear.  So if you're wearing sandals or flip-flops in the trailer parking area, be VERY careful where you walk.  

Most of what I have left to do is rearranging stuff in the shop to open up space, and cleaning that space.  That and a couple of maintenance items to take care of on the Blue Mule.  But if anyone has an itch to turn a wrench once they get here, I have a fuel trailer that needs to be assembled.  It's in two boxes right now.  

I just looked at the number of views this thread has, and I cannot believe we are at 88,000 views and we haven't even started the event yet.  I suspect this may be the first thread on the CJ2Apage.com to go over 100,000 views.  I hope the counter can go that high.  

Edited by m38mike - 15 Sep. 2021 at 3:45am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 10:54am
Hey Mike,

What needs to be done to on Blue Mule?

I'm sleeping in my trailer as well. Is the trailer area for those who are just parking them there?
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 3:47pm
OK everyone. I just got finished greasing and checking lube levels on Joey (cj2a). So,a few years back, someone asked "How many grease zerks are on a stock flatfender?" I think it varies on models. I did not count when I had the gun in my hands this time but I will go back and count after the guestimates are in. By the way, "a lot" doesn't count. And for the heck of it how many lube levels do you have to check? Answering these two questions will give you an opportunity to make sure everything has been checked.  Good luck, Mike  
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 4:03pm
54willysjeep, There are lots of places for you to park your trailer and live in it.  The trailer parking area is mostly for the flat bed car haulers that folks are using to haul their Jeeps on, but not using during the week.  You'll be able to park your truck and trailer in the camping areas.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

54willysjeep, There are lots of places for you to park your trailer and live in it.  The trailer parking area is mostly for the flat bed car haulers that folks are using to haul their Jeeps on, but not using during the week.  You'll be able to park your truck and trailer in the camping areas.  

Thank you for the update Mike. 

Looking forward to heading out tomorrow morning. 
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2021 at 6:17pm
On our way!
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2021 at 6:23am
The first four Jeeps arrived yesterday, and their owners set up camp here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Today I expect many more to arrive.  My big projects to prepare for FCT are done.  Now it's just some smaller jobs and some basic housekeeping tasks.  I'm feeling ready for the rest of the crowd to arrive.  

Weather wise we have a slight chance of rain Saturday night.  Dry the rest of the week.  Monday will be chilly as a dry cold front moves through.  The rest of the week should have highs in the low 70's and lows in the 40's.  Dry and sunny.  Perfect Jeeping weather!  We can see the leaf colors changing in the high country from here at TDR.  I've got the Blue Mule up on the lift taking care of some last minute maintenance.  Life is good at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2021 at 9:50am
Drive them dang Jeeps! Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Edited by muley - 18 Sep. 2021 at 9:51am
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2021 at 4:06pm
Mike,  Sorry but something came up for Saturday so Margie and I will not be in until sunday afternoon, but we will be there! Have fun at the school.  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 9:22am
Well the repairs have begun. Last night we were up to 11:30 rebuilding the transfer case on Bam Bam. This morning we'll finish making the connections and get Bam Bam back on the road or the trail as appropriate. But it's a beautiful day here at thirsty dirt ranch and we've got about two dozen Jeeps already here and more on the way still to arrive.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 9:25am

Just to be clear, it was the Rockeater gear that failed.

Thanks to Ron, Mike, Kris, Micah, Brad, and the others who helped me put together another one

Shot of a shakedown run up Princeton yesterday.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:51pm
Today was a cool shakedown trail. Brown’s Creek and the Grandfather Tree. This trail is sentimental to me because it’s basically the first “trail” I’ve ever done in a Jeep back in 2010

2010:

Today:

Buncha tree-huggers:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 7:01am
Some shots from the drivers training:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 10:04am

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 5:39am
Well our first day of tours went well, and the weather and views we had were grand.  Ron took his group up to 12,500 feet to enjoy the views looking down on the valley south of Leadville, Colorado.  Bruce took his group up to a small cabin and mine about 11,500 feet high on the edge of the Buffalo Peaks wilderness area.  And I took my group up to 9,800 feet at the top of Bald Mountain after a very challenging ride up a trail that has gotten noticeably worse than last year.  

The day started out clear and calm.  Here's a photo of the Jeep lineup in front of the shop at sunrise.

From this serene scene to this windblown view at a the top of Bald Mountain, taken shortly before we headed down to the protection from the wind by trees at a lower elevation.

Even the trees here showed how strong the wind was by the way they are leaning.  But with all good trail rides, we had our share of malfunctions.  On my ride Ernie was not able to keep his Jeep in low range.  We weren't sure why but we hoped it wasn't a broken gear in the transfer case. Here he is with his Jeep on the lift after successfully fixing his problem.  

His big smile is because there was nothing wrong his transfer case gears.  The problem was that the cover plate he put on the floor around the shifters for the transfer case did not let the shifter move as far as it needed to to get the gears into position.  So he cut away part of the cover plate, and BINGO!  The gears were able to move into position and the problem was solved.  

But on Bruce's run the problem was a little more serious.  Alan's engine suffered from a stuck valve on the first cylinder. Here he is discussing the problem with Bruce. 

With a lot of straining and twisting we finally pulled the offending valve out to discover that varnish buildup was the cause of the valve getting stuck.  He will replace it with a new valve and spring to get his engine back out of the shop and back onto the trails.  

Ron had his share of problems too.  Since his tour was the longest he had 4 Jeeps that ran out of fuel before the ride was done.  I kinda suspect that maybe they didn't really fill their gas tanks completely full before they started out.  But I wasn't there so I'm not sure.  

Today Ron will take a group up and over 3 difficult passes in a large loop tour that will spend a lot of time in the alpine zone high above where the forests grow.  I will take my group up to North Fork Reservoir, Billings Lake, and to the "Pride of the West" mine.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 7:06am
Some shots from Buffalo peaks:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 7:10am
Midland Tunnel:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 7:19am

Whence the bell tolls, thus, the meeting of drivers starteth:

New sheriff in town. Bruce is made sheriff of the Jeep police.

Edited by jpet - 21 Sep. 2021 at 7:20am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 29>