Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2022 at 6:18am
Good Sunday morning.  This was a light week for FCT registrations.  I received 3, bringing our total up to 70 so far.  This week's forms were from; Donnell, Jones, and Standerfer.  Two of the three are new folks. 

I've been spending some time looking at maps to see what routes we have not tried yet for a FCT tour.  Ron and I will do some exploring this summer to see what routes we may add to our list of 30 tours.  So until then, keep dreaming, and go play in the snow! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 10:50am
Good Sunday Morning. And a Superbowl Sunday it is.  It looks like we're settling into a routine here with only a few registrations coming in each week.  This week we have four new forms.  They are from McIntosh, Petrick, Prins, and Snow.  And for the first time ever, each registration came from someone who has never been to FCT!  100% newbies!  We're looking forward to meeting all the new folks who get selected in the lottery.  That gives us 74 registrations so far.  We've got 2-1/2 months to go before the lottery.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 10:52am
Good sleepy Sunday Morning.  Here's our weekly FCT registration update.  This week I received 3 forms.  They were from Barrs, Croge, and Reihe.  All 3 are newbies to FCT.  Now we're up to 77 registrations.  And the percentage of new folks wanting to attend is growing.  

I know it's a little bit early to talk about getting critical maintenance done on your Jeep, but I'd like to put the thought in your head that if you do have some big repairs to do to make your Jeep trail-worthy, it's never too late to start planning for those repairs.  Sooner is better.  That gives you time to test the repairs and make any adjustments that may be needed after the repair.  And if you're doing the work yourself, now is a good time to read through the repair manual and learn how to do the work.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 11:27am
I would also add that parts availability is still not good. At very least if you have projects you want to get done before FCT you should really start thinking hard about getting your parts on order.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 11:28am
Just sent my registration in via email... hope to have it trail worthy by the FCT this year!

Mike
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2022 at 10:59pm
Mike, Just in case, if any of the newbies are from lower altitudes, maybe we should let them know that the expertise will be available to tune for higher altitudes when it becomes necessary for reliable running up here! No matter what you need to know about these old things there will be someone there who knows.  Mike
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

Mike, Just in case, if any of the newbies are from lower altitudes, maybe we should let them know that the expertise will be available to tune for higher altitudes when it becomes necessary for reliable running up here! No matter what you need to know about these old things there will be someone there who knows.  Mike

Nice, thanks!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2022 at 8:44am
Good Sunday morning.  Another light week for registrations.  We received only two.  Both are Mikes.  One is a Tarvin, the other is a Davis.  This brings us up to 79 forms.  One's a newbie, and one's a grand prize winner.  

My Blue Mule is on the lift, and I'd planned to do some oil changing, but sub zero temperatures made me decide to wait before doing that.  So I worked on a military surplus SHS heater for my arctic tent, getting ready for our annual winter camping trip.  I've got the heater running smooth, the leaks are stopped, and it's all been cleaned out.  Next is the overnight test to see if it will keep my tent warm enough in sub zero cold.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 6:09am
Hey Mike, 

What are the common electrical/mechanical issues you've seen over the years for folks on this ride?  

Batteries, axles, transmissions, head gaskets, starters, carburetor, radiators/hoses?

Or are there too many to keep track of? :-)

Thanks!
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 10:07am
I have had a brake line break on a front wheel, solved by crimping shut with some vice grips. Then the TC input gear came off the trans shaft due to a nyloc instead of a castle nut from a supplier, fixed on the trail enough to limp back to TDR and cut slots in the nyloc for a pin. Then had a synchro dog slip and prevent shifting to 3rd if I remember, also fixed back at TDR and has stayed in place for years now.Wacko
Not all of these on the same years trip!
Seen lots of fuel pump failures, random charging  from bad connections, other members will add more I'm sure.
BOULDER 48 2A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 10:43am
wfopete, first I want to say thank you for your service.  I too am retired Army.  

Let's see, where to start.  l've seen a lot over the years.  Generators or alternators not charging. Starters that quit.  Ignition switches failing.  Batteries not holding a charge.  Melted wires caused by a short.  Broken fan belts.  Leaky water pumps.  Dry axle bearings.  Lots of worn 2nd gear synchronizers.  Broken pistons.  Blown head gaskets.  Stuck valves.  Valves needing adjusting.  Dirty carbs.  Carbs needing adjusting.  Carbs needing rebuilt.  Leaky radiators.  Plugged radiators.  Split hoses.  Stuck distributors.  Rusted distributor advance mechanism.  Broken pitman arm.  Incorrect toe-in.  Dry differentials.  Low or dirty engine oil.  No oil in oil bath air cleaner.  Multiple flat tires.  Points out of adjustment.  Poorly set timing.  Broken spring shackles.  Broken clutch linkage.  Broken throttle linkage.  Leaking brake lines.  Brakes not adjusted correctly.  Brakes not bled in many years.  

Not all of those are common problems but some are.  The common items are usually routine maintenance items.  Bleeding brakes, checking fluids in differentials and transmission or transfer case, setting points and timing, replacing worn fan belts or radiator hoses, replacing burned out lights, greasing ALL the zerks not just the ones that are easy to get to.  Repairing or replacing parts that are worn out.  If folks would take a look at these items and take action before arriving at FCT, then they get to be the ones who get to watch as someone else has problems.  Or they get to be the hero by providing critical assistance to someone who's Jeep broke down. 

Keep in mind that these are 70+ year old machines.  They will break.  We will put them under stress during FCT.  You will use them harder in one week of FCT than you probably do in 11 months at home. But that's one of the benefits of FCT is that you have the support of a large group of other Jeepers if your Jeep is the one to break down.  And we have a large shop with lots of parts to repair your Jeep when we get it off the mountain.  

Mike
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 10:51am
The best defense is offense. During the time from May 1st lottery to the trip to the TDR it is the responsibility of each driver to thoroughly give their rig the "smoke test" both on and off road, high range and low range. By driving their rig daily before the Fall Color Tour it will reveal those points that are needing attention. The exception might be fuel and timing issues related to elevation. Those can be sorted out when you arrive at FCT by someone familiar with altitude fuel and timing issues.

Don't be the one that doesn't get their rig in shape for the FCT or tries to do work at the last minute. This will cause people on the trail who want to enjoy the ride to have to focus on your breakdown...not that they won't do that...your fellow drivers are incredibly helpful to those with breakdowns, supplying advice, tools and even parts to keep the "show on the road". Still, it is responsibility for each driver to make sure that their rig is up to the task of off road trails. Checking fluid levels, keeping 5 gallons of ethanol-free gas on the rig and a spare tire with tools to change it, will help keep the day's ride on schedule. Check your brakes. Make sure the electrical and ignition system is up to snuff. The fuel system needs to be in tip top shape. The cooling system, likewise.

While repairs are available at the TDR, no one really goes out there to repair a jeep. Do your "homework" and then enjoy the ride with wonderful trails, great guides and the best company on the trail than any flatfender enthusiast could hope for.

Hope to see you in September...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 02 Mar. 2022 at 10:55am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 1:01pm
Only trouble I have found at the CFCT is with my spare tire carrier. I may be the only one but I'm not sure. The mount on the passenger side came loose (near to tearing off) the first year. The second my tail gate split across the rolled section. Last year the mount on my new M38 tailgate split. I'm ready this year. New spare carrier tied in to my draw bar.

wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 1:19pm
You're welcome Mike. I feel pretty good about my 2A and CFFC FCT or not, I don't want to be "That guy". If something were to come up where I think the CJ mechanicals may be an issue; I'll pull the plug and stay home.   My CJ was thoroughly Bubba-upped when I bought it and I've spent over $4000 in parts for it last year including all new suspension from shackle mounts to shocks.  I've gone through the 9" brakes, changed fluids and put in a new radiator/hoses.  Engine compression is good and the engine runs smooth and runs out well. Aside from a tweaked rear drive shaft the engine and drive train have been trouble free.  It has always gone straight down the road with no wobble. In fact a couple days ago I started the CJ up after it had been parked for a few weeks and noted how quiet the thing was.  When I first got the CJ I took it on a 55 mile SxS event and I honestly gave myself a 50/50 chance of surviving because I hadn't checked much on it. We went through some seriously rough areas that I would not want to do again and the CJ never whimpered.  That's something I think is good about these little CJ's; they may be wounded but they will likely get you back so you won't be walking.  Since I bought it, my 2A has rolled through over 500 trouble free milesAll that said, Murphy is always watching so I plan to put in a new head gasket and if time permits go through the front axle/king pins just to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2022 at 11:13am
Good Sunday morning.  It's snowing and blowing here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Today's FCT report is a short one.  We only got one registration form this week. It came from a Mr. Pitts.  That puts our total at 80 forms.  We have 8 weeks left until the lottery.  Good luck. 

I'm glad to see that some folks are already getting some big-ticket maintenance done in anticipation of getting a place at this year's Fall Color Tours.  I know I've still got the Blue Mule up on the lift, with work to be done, but waiting for warmer weather.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Rodkom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodkom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2022 at 11:34am
Good Morning Mike, 
Long winters there in the high country! The forecast here in Central PA is for two unseasonable 70 degree days. Then back to typical spring weather. 
Speaking of maintenance…. Replaced the much maligned Solex carb with a Carter WO remanufactured by Scout Pilot. Have my overdrive out being rebuilt by Herm The OD Guy. Will take advantage of the warm weather today to open up the shift tower to replace poppets and springs. Hope that stope the T-90 from popping out of first and reverse. Always something to do on this tired iron. 
Hope you have/had a successful winter camping trip! 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2022 at 11:37am
Rodkom, yes sometimes winter lasts until summer here in the high country.  Our coldest months are behind us, but our snowiest months are still ahead.  Our winter camping trip was postponed until the last weekend in March.  So I'm taking some time to maintain my winter tent and heater to get ready for our "arctic adventure".

Goodonya for getting some key items fixed on your Jeep.  I hope everyone will follow your lead and get things fixed.  My Jeep maintenance has been limited to welding on the snowplow shoes to keep the plow ready to go for each snowfall.  Our gravel roads really take the steel off the bottom of the shoes. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2022 at 12:10pm
Looking forward for some Colorado time.  Glad you are doing fine and anticipating warmer weather.
JeepRobbins
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>