Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 29>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 8:22am
I'm in! 
    Cool - will give me added incentive to get this old beater trail worthy.
 Just ironing out a few odds & ends
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Swampfitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swampfitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 12:38pm
Thank you for the opportunity to participate!! . We are looking forward to the trip out there from Virginia..looks like I gotta start preparing Tongue
Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 1:52pm
Thank you Mike and time to prep for the adventure. 
Serial #106163 Body#106168 1947 CJ2A "SLOW TUG"
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:41pm
Bummer went from 92 last year to 96 this year.

Edited by Chicodave - 01 May 2022 at 2:43pm
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 7:11pm
Maybe there is a way to solve the problem of not being selected 2 0r 3 years in a row to receiveing an automatic selection for the following years

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 10:05pm
Its OK, I will be in the area vacationing anyway along with another bud that did not make the list.  Mike would it be ok to drop by one evening to catch up with some flat finder friends?
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 2:35am
Chicodave, I'm sorry you haven't done well in the lottery for the last two years.  Perhaps next year you'll be close to the front end of the list, instead of close to the back end.  

Yes, you are welcome to stop by and visit any evening.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:02am
This appears to be a very quiet group this year.  I expected a little more chatter online than what I'm seeing so far.  I'm beginning to think everyone will be headed towards bedtime between 8:00 and 8:30 each night.  Too bad because the moon phases will be right for dark nights here in September.  That means the Milky Way should be very visable every night during the week.  And satellites passing overhead should also shine nicely, reflecting sunlight as they pass among the stars.  I mention these things because that is what I'm seeing as I write this.  For those of you living in cities where the light pollution limits your view of the night sky, I hope you'll enjoy seeing what the night sky should look like while you're here.  

For those of you who are coming for FCT, especially the new folks, if you have not done a 100 mile day trip in your Jeep, I would highly recommend planning and doing at least one early in the summer as part of your preparations.  You may find that it's time to get softer seat cushions for the hours you'll be sitting in the Jeep.  That it's time to get a new cooler for keeping water and snacks cool all day long.  That maybe a new gear bag for holding your warm jackets as the day warms up, or the spare sweatshirt as the mountain air at 11,000 feet chills you down.  It's little details like these that will help you focus on what's important during your tours; the scenery of the mountains all around you, the comradery of old and new friends along on the tour, the history that you'll see along the way, the challenge of driving higher and higher on a narrow mountain trail.  

Our tour mileage ranges from a low of about 30 miles to a high of over 120 miles.  The average is around 70 to 80 miles.  That doesn't sound like much, but at 5 to 10 mph on a rocky road through the forest on the side of a mountain, that can be a long day.  At the end of the day I would hope that you will return to Thirsty Dirt Ranch tired and dusty, but excited by the places you've been and the things you've seen along the way.  So plan on at least one 100 mile trip from your home to shake out problems with your Jeep, and help you see what you may need to keep you and your passengers comfortable during the day.  You'll be glad you did. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
gnkhoffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnkhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:09am
Thanks Mike!  I’m sure you will have more to come suggestions.  My top 3 to-do items are steering box rebuild, new tires (the used tires I bought 19 years ago … time to stop gambling with those!) and the never ending carburetor linkage adjustment!   
gnkhoffman
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:44am
Mike, I’m very happy I made the first round 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽, I’ve been sick with Covid and just noticed my great fortune I’m much looking forward to a week at the TDR with my Flatty friends, I will camp there this year 👍🏽…. Also if you would consider one of the days travels to include a trip over the great divide that would be awsome 👍🏽 …. I can see fuel prices having a great effect on the long distance participant’s, let’s hope things do not get too far out of hand by then 🤞…..

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:15pm
 I expected a little more chatter online than what I'm seeing so far.

Mike, for some "chatter", do you have any plans to inform us of changes to the lists? A weekly or bi-weekly update on alternates would be interesting.

Steve
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 3:31pm
So, I got a new GUILD 12 string this year. Looking forward to jamming with JPET and friends. Hope there are others that will join in as it is always fun to jam in the hanger! I missed last year, and we are really looking forward to the shenanigans - I mean the adventures in the mountains. I saw where Hawk'y made the list so I will put on an extra coat of carnauba wax on Smokey to impress him! It will be clean at least for the first day! Thinking about glitter around the license plate frame. Will be at the TDR early to help out with last minute preparations as needed. WoooooHoooo FCT 2022!

Edited by tumbleweed - 03 May 2022 at 3:32pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

So, I got a new GUILD 12 string this year. Looking forward to jamming with JPET and friends. Hope there are others that will join in as it is always fun to jam in the hanger! I missed last year, and we are really looking forward to the shenanigans - I mean the adventures in the mountains. I saw where Hawk'y made the list so I will put on an extra coat of carnauba wax on Smokey to impress him! It will be clean at least for the first day! Thinking about glitter around the license plate frame. Will be at the TDR early to help out with last minute preparations as needed. WoooooHoooo FCT 2022!

George, I’m not sure it’s possible to outshine a Hawkridge Jeep 😂 but go ahead and try 😉 Hopefully a secret squirrel 🐿 adventure will happen 😲😎

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

George, I’m not sure it’s possible to outshine a Hawkridge Jeep 😂 but go ahead and try 😉 Hopefully a secret squirrel 🐿 adventure will happen 😲😎

Lee😉

I appear to have developed a reputation.  I'm not entirely sure it's warranted.  My stuff gets just as dirty as everyone else!!!  And I promise...I haven't scrubbed the underside of my 3A in at least 3 weeks.Big smileLOL

Really looking forward to seeing you all this year.  I miss all my Willys friends!

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:29am
Smith, I sure hope our countries don't close the border again.  I'm looking forward to making another Canadian Willys friend. 

Gary, I'm so glad you're getting new tires.  I've looked at those old tires over the last decade and wondered how you are able to get around sometimes.  It's a good thing we don't have a lot of mud to drive through.  

Lee, glad to have you back. Yes we'll have a trip or two that will cross the "great divide".  they should give you at least two passes across the continental spine.  We routinely cross it on Marshal Pass, Hancock Pass, Tincup Pass, and Cottonwood Pass.  Three of those are over 12,000 feet up.  All of them have big sign boards you can park next to for a good glamour shot of you and your Jeep. 

3ASteve, Yes I will announce changes to the lists.  I might not give all the details like who dropped and who accepted to replace them, but I will let you all know if a Primary dropped out, and if I found an Alternate to take their place.  I will also talk about some recommendations for preparing your Jeep, and you, for the tours.  Both maintenance items you can do at home, and things to bring so you can self-recover out on the trails.  

OK George, if there's any shenanigans going on, I'll know which hooligan to go looking for first.  But the help with the final preparations will be cheerfully accepted.  I've already made a multipage list of things to get done based on past years.  P.S. Good luck outshining the Hawk.

Hawky, I know you've got an image to uphold, so I'll have the pressure washer available every afternoon for you.  I know how important it is to keep up appearances.  

For all the new folks who have not experienced the rugged roads and high elevations along the continental divide, if you have any questions, general or specific, please post them up here.  If you have the question, there may be a dozen others who are wondering the same thing too.  I'll do my best to answer each question.  Some of my experienced friends may also chime in with details.  But the more you know before you go, the better your trip will be.  My staff and I are all about making this a great adventure for everyone.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:22am
Hey, let’s leave Hawk alone. He’s a smart dude! A CJ3A is much easier to put wax on than the deluxe model (CJ2A). No stylish top bow side brackets to work around and the 3A has a less classy windshield with not so many elegant contours to deal with.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Jolly Rodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:57am
Getting excited for FCT 2022, looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new friends. Was wondering if there might be a pot luck this year,  actually my Co-pilot asked me a few times, we look forward to all of the delicacies offered. Thanks to you and Nancy for hosting this event!!!!  
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:31am
Hey jolly Rodger, we're not planning to host a pot luck this year.  We still have covid in our community and we're really trying hard to not be a covid exchange site. We've had two good years with no covid and we want to keep a clean record.  We know how much everyone has enjoyed our potluck dinners. The potluck is the one time during FCT where it would be easy to share covid germs.  Sorry Jolly Rodger, it's not happening.  But you're welcome to gather a few friends together and fix dinner for them. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 29>