Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 4:31pm
First the anodizing, then the aluminum itself, just like a file

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 6:57am
Yup, only works with rope. I think I may have one extra.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 7:51am
My steel cable is still 150 feet long and in good shape.  I'll probably stick with it for a while.  I might put some Amsteel-Blue winch rope on my Christmas/birthday list, but at the cost of winch rope now, I think I'll wait to replace my cable.  I had not paid any attention to the fact that everyone demonstrating the soft shackle pully rings was using only winch rope, not steel cable.  One thing I like about this forum is that there's always something new to learn, and someone willing to teach you.  

And speaking of teaching, I'd like to remind all the first-time attendees to FCT, that we would like for you to attend our Thirsty Dirt Ranch School of Mountain Driving.  That will start at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon, and will take a couple of hours.  We'll have an open discussion about what kinds of things to bring along for your mountain adventure.  We'll talk about what to pack along to keep you happy and healthy.  And of course we'll include our very own teeny tiny drop of death and hill climb to heaven.  And that's followed up with a leisurely cruise through the Brown's Creek area.  A perfect opportunity to see how your Jeep will perform at our higher elevation.  So make your travel plans to include arriving at TDR by Sunday morning.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2022 at 10:44am
Excellent Mike, to read the training course is still offered as we plan on attending it. Is it okay if we arrive on Saturday? Just trying to calculate travel times from above the 49th. 

Also an update on the Banff run that we did on Saturday, drove the backroads from Calgary to Banff where we stopped in the town for lunch and turned back since there was some dark clouds coming our way. In all we did about 200 miles round trip, with running out of fuel around 170-180 miles (I planned on this just so I knew when the Willys would be almost dry). We cruised between 45-55mph so hopefully that is enough capacity for a day trip in lower speeds/gearing.

Leaving YYC

Exshaw for a quick stretch

Park Pass

Serial #106163 Body#106168 1947 CJ2A "SLOW TUG"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 8:21am
Smith,
That's a great report on your trip. Thanks for sharing that.  More comments in a moment, but first I wanted to let you and everyone else who's new to FCT know that the TDRSMD is offered because we've learned that by sharing a bit of knowledge we have helped many new folks enjoy their time in the mountains much more.  They learned what to expect.  They learned new things about their Jeep.  They had more confidence in the experience and enjoyed it more.  So it will continue to be a key part of our program.

I'm impressed that you ran your gas tank dry on purpose.  Most folks would never do that, and probably should just to see what their fuel limit is.  Most of our tours are under 100 miles for the day. We will let you know about any really long tours so you can pack extra gas.  I didn't read about any problems during your ride so I hope it all went smoothly.  That's a good thing.  It looks like you may be ready for some high mountain adventure!  Goodonya!! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2022 at 8:07pm
Thank you Mike, you are correct there were no issues besides the planned run out of fuel… unless you count the black bear near the gate eyeing us up as we cruised past. Looking at June 25th a four wheeling trip in the local area to practice driving and playing with four high/low more then just the gravel lanes.
Serial #106163 Body#106168 1947 CJ2A "SLOW TUG"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2022 at 4:26am
Now talk about some long test drives!!  Here's our very own Tamnalan (on the right) with his Jeep on a sight-seeing trip we both enjoyed about 10 years ago in the northern Yukon Territory of Canada.  He's with Nate (left), the grandson of a very good friend of mine.  This year Alan will have this Jeep at FCT, but with his wife Tammy instead of Nate. 

Nate's Grandad, Greg, just sent this photo to me to remind me of this trip from 10 years ago.  And since I was thinking about test drives I thought I'd post this up since this was one of the toughest test drives I've ever been on.  Well that, and my good friend Alan will be here for FCT with this Jeep this year.  

But what an adventure this was.  There were about 30 Jeeps, and another 45 military surplus vehicles on this epic road trip.  It was the 2012 MVPA Alaska Highway Convoy. 

So Alan, are you ready for this year's FCT yet??  Are you and Tammy sleeping in the teardrop trailer? 

Edited by m38mike - 07 June 2022 at 4:33am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2022 at 6:25pm
Yessir!    Well, at least I'm ready.   Not so sure about Tammy or the jeep but we're on it.   She's not excited about the teardrop... it's basically a one-butt hut, she says so I might have to seek something more comfortable for her.   

That Alaska Highway trip was indeed just plain epic, and I gained some great friends in people like Mike.   He suffered a hard blow when the amazing and prescient Electro-Willys had an electrical fire on a shakedown cruise to Rolla, but he never let any pain show.   A true professional, and he also never complained as my jeep's passenger seat slowly filled with mud on that rainy day out of Ross River.  I thought I might have to whip up a passenger mud snorkel but some duct tape on leaky body panels did the trick.   Full-bore Bubba.   :)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 10:18am
Ah yes, duct tape and full Bubba. Necessity (desperation?)  is the mother of invention, sort of like using the JD loader bucket to break the bead on a NDT Alan??Thumbs Up
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 6:23pm
Pretty much, Muley!    Dang, that bead did NOT want to surrender easily.    So good to see you at Mike's a few weeks ago.   That was great fun.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 2:28pm
The wifey is coming!  A win!!   The first part, anyway.   She has to return to Oregon on Wed for her Thursday job.   She's not a useless retired person yet like me.   :)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 8:47am
Today I'd like to talk about loose bolts.  In the past week I've had a couple of experiences with loose bolts and I'm hoping that my thoughts on this topic may help someone keep a watch for them.  The first encounter was when I drove the Blue Mule up to the Spike Camp we had set up for the Colorado Wildfire training academy.  I was talking with a friend there at the camp when I happen to notice that the front bolt for my left rear spring was only half way through the spring and hanger.  The nut and lock washer had come off and the bolt was backing out.  I tried moving the bolt but the weight of the Jeep was pushing heavy on the bolt.  I drove it back home with the bolt at an angle, but the bolt stayed in place.  With the help of the lift and a jack I got the holes to line up and the bolt reinserted and a new nut installed.  

My second encounter was yesterday during an investigative Jeep ride looking at new places for a Fall Color Tour ride.  We stopped in Buena Vista  for Ice Cream on the way home, and noticed that my right locking hub was loose.  And further, one of the bolts was missing.  Not good.  So I applied some wrenching to the remaining bolts and we headed back to the shop.  Repairs will be made today.  

So I guess my point is that when you're out using your Jeep, whether easy cruising or bouncing over rocks, take a look around your Jeep to see if any bolts are looking loose.  And when you're underneath looking for leaks or greasing up the bazzilion zerks, check the bolts that you can see.  Put a wrench on any that look suspicious and see if they move.  I'm going to be looking very closely at many more of my bolts.  I don't want them coming apart while I'm traveling alone.  I really don't want them coming apart anytime.  So my message for today is keep an eye on your bolts. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 9:16am
 “Eye Bolt” LOL
Good advice !

Edited by oldtime - 13 June 2022 at 9:19am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

gnkhoffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnkhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 2:59pm
I have thought about bringing a drag magnet (like roofers do after a job), and volunteer to be the tail gunner.  Then at the end of the day I’ll sell back all the nuts and bolts and metal parts!  LOL
gnkhoffman
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 9:49pm
Mike, One thing a lot of people don't check on the older flat fenders is the C type shackles. I have helped several people with them. If there is wear on the suspension the nuts will tend to back out and need to be turned back in. Just keep an eye on  them. Ask me how I know! Tighten them according to the manual or you may break the shackle or spring. Just trying to help.  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 4:11am
You're right Mike.  Those C shackles will loosen up and not get noticed until they are ready to come apart.  They are worth a walk-around just to see all four of them. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 6:52am
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

Mike, One thing a lot of people don't check on the older flat fenders is the C type shackles. I have helped several people with them. If there is wear on the suspension the nuts will tend to back out and need to be turned back in. Just keep an eye on  them. Ask me how I know! Tighten them according to the manual or you may break the shackle or spring. Just trying to help.  Mike
. yup, just a couple weeks back Confused
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 7:38pm
That exact same one loosens up on my MB.    Maybe that corner is cursed.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 29>