Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2023 - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2023 - 23 Sep. 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 6:21pm
Mike,  Does your FCT Handbook include a chapter on "Past Breakdowns"?  I would be interested on knowing what parts have broken on the past trail rides, besides flat tires.  This may have a chilling reminder to all to 'check your Jeep' before coming.
Thanks, Jim
JeepRobbins
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by JeepRobbins JeepRobbins wrote:

Mike,  Does your FCT Handbook include a chapter on "Past Breakdowns"?  I would be interested on knowing what parts have broken on the past trail rides, besides flat tires.  This may have a chilling reminder to all to 'check your Jeep' before coming.
Thanks, Jim
I can remember a few, steering sector shaft failure, many bad fuel pumps, charging system failure, brake line failure, transmission failure (synchro binding, tc input gear falling off, both on my 2a), a steering wheel came off of not to be named's 2a,  and probably many more.đŸ˜„

Edited by TERRY - 06 Feb. 2023 at 8:21pm
BOULDER 48 2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:37pm
Stuck exhaust valve
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:38pm
Countless condensers
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2023 at 5:37am
Jim, I might be afraid to mention everything that's broken or failed during a Fall Color Tour.  If you were a newcomer to the fun of Old Jeeping, and read that list, you might want to sell your Jeep and take up canoeing instead.  And if the list itself didn't scare you, the number of times we repaired or replaced those parts could scare you.  Hhhmmmmm.  But maybe that could be the motivation to pick up some spare parts to carry with us.  

My first thought was that it could scare folks away from using these old machines.  But maybe the right way to look at this is the challenge of keeping the old machines running.  I like that perspective better.  And a list like that would help me make sure to have some of those spare parts on hand.  Who would have thought I'd need to have valves on hand, eh Alan?  But we did need some, and now I have lots of them.  

OK, here's where I'll need help.  I'd like 2 or 3 guys to go back through the discussions of past FCT's and look for any mention of breakdowns and make a list of the cause.  Compile the list and send that to me.  Or post it here in this discussion thread.  I know that some years I was diligent about reporting breakdowns and causes. Most years not so much.  Maybe include a rough count of how many times you found fuel pumps, as an example, to be the problem.  For anyone who has had a breakdown or failure, send me a PM with what failed.  (note to self, go clean out your inbox now!)  

Once we've made the list, I'll add it to the FCT guidebook.  Maybe I'll use some kind of descriptor for how often we have a record of that part failing.  An easy one would be Few (F), Several (S), and Many (M).  That could put some emphasis on what parts ought to be carried as spares.  And looking back 15 years at all the use and abuse we've imposed on our Jeeps, that should give us a good idea on what fails the most, and what we seldom ever need to worry about.  I know that for me personally, after last year's C-shackle break, I'm now carrying a spare C-shackle. 

So send me a Private Message with your breakdown experiences, or a note if you're willing to help go back through the past threads to capture the breakdown list.  Let's see if we can get this done in February so I can publish the Guidebook by early March.  Thanks for the idea Jim.  Now let's make it happen. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2023 at 9:42am
Mike, on the other hand look at the number of jeeps each year that made it the whole week without a hitch. Most of them do because the owner has taken the time to service the rig on a regular basis and has driven it on a regular schedule so that they have noticed potential problems and got them corrected. They are to be congratulated...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2023 at 8:11am
Ha, ha. Maybe incorporate a bar graft showing the % of failures by type/category for those who like to 
over-analyze stuff!
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 9:16am
No mater the problem on the trail there is plenty of help.  Lots of parts, lots of tools and advice.  The policy of no one left behind is reassuring.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2023 at 9:32am
You're right 64CJ5.  The idea that no Jeep gets left behind means a lot to folks who don't often travel solo in rough country.  And it's peace of mind to those of us who do.  There is insurance in numbers.  Along with lots of cameras to photograph the breakdown.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2023 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

[QUOTE=JeepRobbins]Mike,  Does your FCT Handbook include a chapter on "Past Breakdowns"?  I would be interested on knowing what parts have broken on the past trail rides, besides flat tires.  This may have a chilling reminder to all to 'check your Jeep' before coming.
Thanks, Jim

Carb issues on the trail can happen. Happened to me in 2021 and I had a spare in the jeep just in case. Changed it out in about ten or so minutes. If you do break down you will not be alone and will not repair it alone. I was swarmed. :)
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2023 at 7:57pm
  “Swarmed”. Good word, and an apt description. Smile
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2023 at 9:02pm
I had points in my 24V dist close up on the mine tour.. i think BW was the queen bee..LOL
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2023 at 12:15pm
Good Sunday morning. Here is this week's FCT registration report.  I received forms from; Sheakley, Hawkridge, Stiffler, Picini, Vega, and Gonzalez.  Our count is now at 66.  I'm curious to see how many of these are new folks.  I've seen a lot of names that are not familiar to me.  I'll report on that next week. 

It's heavy move day here today. I've got two freezers that are full that I need to move.  We're renovating our freezer room by getting rid of the old carpet and putting tile on the floor.  We're also adding some kitchen cabinets and a sink.  I've got 3 of the 4 base cabinets on hand.  Had to special order the 4th and the counter top. Wall cabinets will go up next month.  Just trying to improve the look and utility in the room, and get some more organized storage. 

I've heard from a few folks about breakdowns they've had while on FCT, but not as many as I'd hoped to hear from.  I'm still interested in having folks send me info on any breakdowns they've had.  I promise I won't use any names in our listing of problems.  But SE Kansas 46 CJ2A has the truth of it.  For the number of miles and the number of vehicles, we have very few breakdowns anymore.  I believe that owners are doing a better job of preparing their Jeeps than they did in past years.  I'm certainly glad for that, and I'm sure the owners are too.  That's something to be proud of, making it through a full week of tours without breaking down. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2023 at 4:22pm
I made it through 2020, 2021 without brakedowns all week. Not so lucky for 2022... massive oil leak coming from the side of the timing cover caused by a bent front engine plate on Monday's run. Working on it and if I get it back together with the MUCH appreciated help from a certain jeep policeman with the initials BW supplying the replacement front plate I will enter the fray with a late FCT entry in March. The front plate in question will be period correct for the M-38 frame under "Old Red" but not correct for the CJ-2A body...but better fuel pump access! Anyone who has tried to remove or install an early 2A fuel pump should know what I mean.

Regardless, I will test "Ol Red" throughout the summer for problems that would keep her off the trail in Colorado. All prospective drivers would be well advised to do the same.

Thank you, Mike, Nancy and Crew for the sponsorship of this wonderful opportunity to jeep in some of the most beautiful country in Colorado.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 12 Feb. 2023 at 4:23pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2023 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Regardless, I will test "Ol Red" throughout the summer for problems that would keep her off the trail in Colorado. All prospective drivers would be well advised to do the same.

Thank you, Mike, Nancy and Crew for the sponsorship of this wonderful opportunity to jeep in some of the most beautiful country in Colorado.

Having one  80 mile trip in my GPW under the belt so far. Mountain roads nearby are closed to due the amount of rain we received this year. They should be open in March or April and will be taking it up there in the spring and hopefully they will stay open during the summer. Those roads are subject to closure because of fire danger. I do have the regular roads in that area to drive. I can get distance no problem the mountain (dirt roads) vary though. 

54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 1:02pm
Mike, Sorry I didn't send this sooner but Margie and I have been out of country for the last month. Anyway I have one issue I had our first year at FCT. I had replace all 4 shackles on Joey earlier in the summer but someone noticed and told me while on the trail that one of them was bent pretty bad. I made it through the run that day but decided to replace it so I didn't do the next days run and stayed back to work on it. Since then I have been more particular with the brand of replacements I have put on the jeep.There are shackles out there that are soft and not up to original specs and I am sure there are other parts of poor quality so everyone watch out for poor quality parts out there.
  One thing though that I have not seen mentioned on the forum is points! I myself have been involved in 3 instances on the trail (not on Joey). If I have been involved in this many, I am sure there have been a lot more than these instances. One was the loss of a screw on the points set. luckily someone had a replacement screw. After resetting the gap, the jeep in question ran fine. The second one was a new set of points not adjusted correctly. After adjusting the points the jeep was on its way. The third on was a little more interesting. The points were so worn that the contacts were eroded away. There was not enough adjustment to even get the points to make contact. It was not a stock distributor so no one had a set of points to fit it. We had to  bend the arm enough to get the gap adjusted for the jeep to run. It was my understanding that the jeep ran OK for the rest of the week. Yankee ingenuity and luck was on our side that day. On the trail is not the time to have something like this happen!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 2:55pm
Think I may be the only one with this "breakdown". My 3A side mount for the spare tire broke loose one year at the FCT. Next year I put the military carrier on my standard tailgate. That time the tailgate cracked along the rolled top and down one side. Third try with the reinforced military tailgate. The tailgate worked ok but the carrier split along the top. Did OK on the last FCT with a carrier I had made to some specs given on this forum. I think anyone with any oversize tires could have this problem. My tires are close to factory but a bit heavier (215/85/16).
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2023 at 12:52pm
I spend quite a bit of time getting ready for CFFC Fall Colors Tour, but a few years ago, my Jeep was the "one" that stopped running and held up the group. It was an unusual breakdown and could have been prevented had I known then what I know now.

We had just left the ranch and were headed south. We had just passed Salida when my Jeep started cutting out. At first I thought it was a vapor lock, which was strange because in the 30+ years I have had my Jeep, I have never experienced vapor lock. It chugged along for a mile or so and finally died. I have learned from past tours that there are people there who know a whole lot more about keeping Jeeps running than I do. Within minutes, the swarming (as BW describes it) started. There was gas in the carb, so it was not a fuel issue, but there was no spark. So we went down the electrical path. One at a time, we traded out the coil, the points, and condenser but still no spark. After about 30 long minutes, we determined it was not going to run. Mike found empty seats for my wife, brother and sis-in-law, and me and we left my Jeep on the side of the road. 

After we got back to the ranch at the end of the day, we hooked up the trailer and picked up the Jeep off the side of the road (with the help of a come-along of course). When we got back to the ranch, there were several guys waiting in the shop. I learned that they do not like to get stumped and not getting my Jeep running on the side of the road had them stumped. 

We started with the distributor to check the points and condenser again.  Inside the shop at night, the light is not as bright as it was in brood daylight earlier in the day. With screwdriver in hand, one of the guys started to loosen the points screw. The screwdriver slipped in his hands and touched the distributor case and the points at the same time and he saw a spark. "That shouldn't be" was everyone's first reaction. On the side of the road, the sunlight was bright enough, no one saw the sparking. Long story short, there was a build up of oily dirt around the hot post on the distributor where the wire from the coil connects. That oily dirt was picking up and transferring power to the distributor case and shorting out everything. We cleaned the oily dirt off and it fired right up and ran perfectly the rest of the week. 

Each spring I clean all electrical contacts. Now the post on the top of the distributor is the first to get cleaned. 
Bruce
1949 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>