Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2023 - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2023 - 23 Sep. 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2023 at 7:42pm
  Not to correct, but to add - as I recall, once the greasy dirt (dirty grease? Dinosaur sh!t.) was removed, it was found that the pass-through post was loose, the insulator had moved, and the post was grounding on the housing. I only bring this up so folks will have something else to look for. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
sheetzie44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheetzie44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2023 at 9:13pm
  These breakdown and fixes should have their own topic area in the forums. Not that I'm not enjoying the post, I just find them interesting and think it would be helpful to share these experiences to keep our Jeep running. 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2023 at 11:38pm
Electrical connections can be a real nightmare. Loose wires inside crimp connectors. Dirty connections.  Breaks in wires. All can be hard to find, and to fix.  I have EFI in my Blue Mule, and I learned that if my modules are not REALLY well grounded, I'll have problems.  We Jeeped in northern Wyoming for a week, and I had to get towed back to camp 4 out of 5 days because of a poor ground on a module.  When I got home I took it apart, cleaned the contact, and re-grounded it, and it's been working fine ever since.  Now it appears I have some problems with vacuum leaks.  If it's not one thing, it's two. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 6:33am
Good Sunday morning. Here is the FCT registration report.  We have a long list today, of just two registrations.  Sites and Martin.  That brings our count to 68.  Last week I said I would check on how many new folks had registered so far, and report the results this week.  And here are the numbers.  Currently there are 27 newbies registered.  That's 40% of our total.  I think we could have a lot of new folks attending FCT this year.  

I will be late with my Sunday report next week.  It's time for my annual Winter camping trip into the mountains.  This year we'll return to Camp Hale in the White River National Forest.  Camp Hale is where the 10th Mountain Division trained during WW2, learning about mountain and arctic warfare. The high elevation (10,000 feet), low temperatures (sub zero), and deep snow (2 to 8 feet), make this a great place for arctic camping.  Most of us use Army surplus, 5-man arctic tents with a variety of heaters inside the tents.  This year the 10th Mountain Division will return to Camp Hale for some training exercises.  The Denver Fox news team has asked us to haul them around the training area with our tracked snow vehicles so they can get a close-up view of the 10th's training.  This training was set up to commemorate the 80th year that the 10th has focused on arctic combat, and the first year that Camp Hale became a National Monument.  

I'll go there today just to pack the crust of snow on our camp site with my tracked ATV.  That way when we set up our tents we won't sink deep into the snow, but remain on top because the top crust will be packed hard, and frozen. We'll all go up there on Thursday to set up camp and stay through the weekend.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 8:55am
Mike take us some pictures of your camping trip. Sounds like a fun time. I like seeing the different types of camp set ups, especially in the snow.
BillT
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2023 at 7:17am
Willyt, here's a photo of my camp site for the last several days.  The snow here is about 2 feet deep.  I packed it down with the tracked ATV you see beyond the tent, making a crust that was thick and strong enough  to let us walk around on it without snowshoes.  This is an Army Surplus 5-man Arctic tent.  It has a liner that helps to hold in the heat from the gasoline-burning stove.  I use a tripod to hold the tent up. That way I don't have a pole in the center of the tent.  The white barrel by the ATV is my fuel tank for the stove. I can carry 4 or 5 days worth of gasoline in this so I don't have to worry about running out of fuel in the middle of the night. 

This past weekend was the commemorative event marking 80 years since the 10th Mountain Division started training at Camp Hale.  About 100 soldiers from the current 10th Mountain Division based in Fort Drum New York, came out here to train with about 300 soldiers from the Colorado National Guard's Infantry Mountain Battalion.  We spent time driving out to the training sites to watch some of their training.  We also traded stories about training in the cold and snow with some of the NCO's.  For me that training was 45 years ago in Alaska.  

But enough about non-jeep adventures.  Let's get back to talking about Fall Color Tours.  Last week I only received one form, and that was from Price.  As I anticipated the flood has slowed to a trickle.  We still have two months to go before the lottery so there is plenty of time to get registrations turned in.  

It's the dead of winter but we're about to turn the corner into spring. For Jeeps that have been stored for the winter, there are several things that could happen while in cold storage.  Lead-acid batteries will self-discharge over time.  You'll go out to start the Jeep one morning only to find the battery is almost dead.  Keep a trickle charger on the battery to keep it at full power when stored.  Or better yet, take the Jeep out for a ride about once a month - or more.  Seals in the engine, axles, etcetera need lubrication.  Sitting for months or years can dry the seals out.  Best thing to do here is go drive that Jeep.  Tires can loose air pressure over time.  They can also develop a flat spot on the bottom when sitting for months.  Be sure to check the pressure before you go for a drive, but take your Jeep for a drive to rotate the tires and flex the flat spot out of the tire.  Old gas, left in the tank for months and months can make your engine run rough.  Fuel additives like Sta-Bil, can help prevent your gas from going stale.  But the best treatment is to drive your Jeep and refresh the gas with some new fuel.  And a non-mechanical hazard of long term storage is mice.  That bag of peanuts you never finished on the last ride last fall can be an attraction that mice will hunt for.  If you don't have a bunch of barn cats keeping the rodents at bay, you may want to get out there and make sure your Jeep is clean, and see that the mice have not taken up residence in your seat cushions.  If they do, when you go for a drive you'll hear them squeal when you sit on the seat. LOL Wink

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2023 at 8:20am
Thanks for the report Mike. I enjoy camping under those conditions but we seldom have snow anymore in our area. That is a nice looking camp. I had a surplus 15x30 tent setup semipermanent for fishing and hunting during the seventies.Take care. Bill T
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 4:31am
I've completed my first version of the Fall Color Tour Guidebook, and it's ready for public distribution. If you go to this link you can download a copy for yourself. 

It's 18 pages if you print it out.  My hope is that it will answer many of your questions about FCT and inform each reader about any policies that are in place.  I'm still happy to answer any questions that may come up.  You never know, but there may still be things to discuss and add to the Guidebook. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 6:57am
I've made it thru the first 15 pages, and am very impressed! I'll pull a chair up to the fire and finish reading this good book today!
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 8:29am
I've known Mike to be a good story teller for all my life, and now he's a (self) published author of the jeep story, subtitled 'the little engine that could'.  I hope it's a 'who done it' mystery! 
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 11:31am
I got stuck on section "I".

"We ask that if you do drink, don’t become obnoxious or belligerent. We’re all here to have a good time. Please don’t ruin it for others. "

Even if you don't drink, please don't become obnoxious or belligerent. This may be a once in a lifetime chance. 

Also: Mike mentions downshifting on hills while towing your Jeep or Camper. (with an automatic).

I'd like to suggest that if you are climbing a hill, and the transmission is hunting or surging between 2 gears, just choose the lower gear and be patient. It may rev a little higher, but the trans will run cooler if it is not lugging.

If you have brakes on your trailer, adjust them properly, and don't be too shy to engage them manually going down steep inclines. Let the trailer hold you back going into a downhill curve rather than push you thru it.

CAUTION: Professional opinions may follow... not associated with Mike's manual.

If you don't use your trailer often, chalk (crayon) the sidewall of the tire where the tread contacts the ground where it was parked. This is really only necessary if the tires lost air during storage and were 'squatty' when you found them. Tires that are underinflated in storage have a higher stress/strain in the sidewall adjacent to the tire footprint, and if they are 'dryrotted', this is the area that will most likely separate. If you notice localized deep weather cracking near the chalk mark, I recommend replacing the tire. (You do have a spare, a jack, and a lug wrench that fits , right? check your lug nut torque) Underinflated/overdeflected tires will heat up fast. While you are checking your hub temperatures if you burn yourself on the tread of the tire, you have a problem. (135-140F at the surface.)
Bias tires heat up faster than radials. Too much inflation is better than too little inflation.

If you have a load leveller and sway control on your hitch, plan to use it.

Edited by Joe Friday - 04 Mar. 2023 at 10:50pm
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 10:38pm
Mike, You have put a lot of good info in your guidebook for all of us, new commers and those who have been there before. I am putting it on file (like I never forget things) for future reference. Thanks for this and all the work you put into it. Now, back to work on Joey.   Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 5:31am
Good Sunday morning. Here is the latest Fall Color Tour registration report.  Only one form arrived this past week.  It was from Schiefer.  Now added to the pile going into the lottery.  We're less than two months away from the lottery date for this year, and learning who is on the Primary list.  

For anyone who has not yet seen it, I have published the Fall Color Tour Guidebook online so you can download a copy.  Here is the link again. 
The comments I've received so far have been positive, even humorous.  I hope everyone will learn something from the document if you are at all interested in the Fall Color Tours.  

And here is the registration form link again for those who may have missed it the first time.

I wish each person who registered good luck in the lottery.  Sorry I can't take all of you out on the trails, but too big of a group, even a great group of Jeepers, becomes too much work for me and my staff.  We do it for free, and we do it for fun.  We look forward to seeing you in September!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 7:51pm
A suggestion for future registrations.  Why not create a line for applicants to add their handle from the CJ2A page. I would think a majority of applicants are also page members. Because of my advanced age I find it easier to determine who is registered by the page handle rather than their actual name.

Regards
John Schiefer  (FltFndr)
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 9:13pm
Who is John Schiefer? LOLWink

(hi John Hug ) err... fltfndr

Edited by mbullism - 05 Mar. 2023 at 9:14pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 11:10pm
You, I would recognize by either, not to mention your picture. Hi Mike
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2023 at 4:55am
Hi John, I've thought about that. I do get quite a few folks registering for the event from fakebook as well as this forum.  Years ago I also listed in G503, the CJ3A forum, and another forum I can't remember.  I found that I got little contact from the other forums so I limit my discussions to THECJ2APAGE and Facebook.  But I really have not cared what everyone's forum-name is.  I deal with their real name.  Using their online name is just a way to direct a response.  If you would like to know who is registered, I would be glad to help with that.  But I don't think I'll list all the forum members by their forum-names just because someone is curious.  Lot's of work on my part.  But thanks for the idea fltfndr. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2023 at 7:38am
X

Edited by oldtime - 06 Mar. 2023 at 8:01am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>