Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chain Drive to Gear Drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain Drive to Gear Drive
    Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 7:55pm
I recently picked up a parts motor to replace the broken block in my 48 CJ2A. Many things did not make sense with the parts on it. It had a front plate from a 2wd Jeepster or wagon and a timing cover indicating it had a gear drive cam.. Ha! silly me. Confused After doing much reading on here I found out it's probably early 1944 according to the numbers.
My Question is; Has anyone drilled out the oil passage through the [oil passage on the left front of the block where the hose to the oil filter goes]. (First photo) [Continue drilling the oil passage deep enough to intersect]  where the gear oil squirter fitting is supposed to go in the front of the block? (second photo).

Edited by Wrongway - 11 Jan. 2023 at 10:26am
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 10:09pm
"Has anyone drilled out the oil passage through the outlet to the oil filter to where the gear oil squirter fitting is supposed to go in the front of the block?"

The above statement doesn't make sense to me, because the "passage through the outlet to the oil filter", and "where the gear oil squirter fitting is supposed to go in the front of the block" are two entirely different things. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 10:50pm
Thanks Old Pappy,
I was scratching my head too.
1951 M38
1951 M100
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 11:03pm
I think what he is asking is how can he get an oil supply to the timing gears when the block is a chain drive that is not drilled for the oil jet. Kind of like the reverse of installing a bolted counterweight crank in a chain drive block that originally had a drilled crank for oiling the chain.
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 10:29am
Sorry about the confusion in my post. It was a bit of a long frustrating day. Confused
I edited the original ,hopefully with a bit more clarity.
Having said that I have figured out with the help of a few other members here that the oil filter drain back in the front cover will be enough oil for the cam drive gears.
Thanks All !

49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Post Reply Post Reply