Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change Generator to an Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change Generator to an Alternator
    Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:17pm
Is there kit or diagram to change a 1947 from a generator to n alternator? What all do you have to change electric?

Thanks Jimmy
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:47pm
  If you dont know then maybe you shouldn’t be foolin’ with it. Why not leave it the h3ll alone? Just because “everybody” says you have to change it? Unless you’re planning to run a “boom-boom” stereo or a winch, or a mess of lights like a bull-hauler, the generator will do just fine. 
My $.20, of course. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:26pm
Wow. Ouch
Having a bad day Bruce?

Looks like Jimmy just joined 2 hours ago. Nice welcome.

Hi Jimmy,
There's tons of posts, wiring diagrams, and information about converting vintage jeeps from generator to alternator.
Lots of it in this forum, and tons more on the interweb.

Do you know how to search?

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 19 May 2023 at 9:34pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:01pm
Hi Jimmy, 1st off welcome to the group. Almost every one on here is here to help out.  We all have to start somewhere and kudos to you for starting.. I inherited a 1945 cj2a and knew nothing about them, but always loved them. So back to your ? If you look at the top of the message board you will see New Posts, click on that and look for shulls1stcj2a and I posted a comment on this thread. Alot of good info. Hope this helps. And again welcome 
Steve

Edited by shulls1stcj2a - 19 May 2023 at 10:02pm
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:19pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:27pm
Yep thats the one. Thanks Ron 
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:13pm
Kaiser Willy’s sells a conversion kit. You can check it out in their catalog
Mike in AZ
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Kaiser Willy’s sells a conversion kit. You can check it out in their catalog

Yes, Kaiser Willys sells a super expensive conversion kit --- $365
With careful shopping you can buy a Delco 10SI alternator and a much better mounting bracket for the alternator for about half that.
Use the other $180 bucks for something else.

Good luck!
1951 M38
1951 M100
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:55am
I suggest setting up your own conversion rather than paying the expensive one as noted above.  The 10SI delco alternators are really cheap on Rock Auto even with a core charge and after that it's just a bit of wiring.  Usually it's suggested you delete the Ammeter of the stock setup and use a volt meter instead when converting. 
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 12:50pm
You might want to add up your current and future load / amps to properly size your alternator. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:15pm
Yes, lots to consider if making the kit yourself. Not hard to do.

A fairly common amp size for the Delco 10SI is 63 amps and this is plenty for a stock jeep. I stayed with the +/- 50 amp ammeter instead of changing to a voltmeter. Either works. Lots of opinions which gauge is better. More amps isn't necessarily better if you don't need them because more amps usually costs more $.

Decide if you want a "One-wire" or the "3-wire" hook up. Because most jeeps don't have a tell-tale idiot light on the dash for the alternator, a "One-wire" hook up is simple and works well.

You'll want to buy the alternator "clocked" for the 9-o'clock mounting position on the L134.

Check the pulley to make sure the belt width fits in the sheave properly and that the pulley aligns with the crank and water pump pulleys correctly. If you need a different pulley, they're pretty cheap and easy to change. I'm running dual-belts so had to change the pulley for that.

I also customized my 10SI by selecting and installing a voltage regulator that charges at 13.8 volts (typical is 14.3 volts) and has a "low rpm" cut-in (the speed that begins charging). Pulley diameter affects this as well.

Consider installing a circuit breaker to protect the alternator. Not expensive and fairly easy to do.

The Delco 10SI has been around 50+ years and they made millions of them. It's a good piece of gear.

Good luck.

Edited by Ron D - 25 May 2023 at 4:22pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:35pm
If it helps, here's some good information:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

Edited by Ron D - 25 May 2023 at 4:51pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:21pm
The Mad Electrical site is an excellent source of information if you're not familiar with electrical systems, like I was. He may still be available by phone and is extremely knowledgeable, but only call at your own risk as he will literally never stop talking! Super nice guy, but wow... 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Wow. Ouch
Having a bad day Bruce?

Ok, a shout out for Bruce.   He can be a little crusty but his heart is pure and he's a really nice guy.   I'd be the same if I had to wear his jeep police badge.   It's a heavy burden and I'm glad he stepped up.

Welcome to Jimmy!    Flatfenders rule!   
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:42pm
Yeah, Bruce has chewed everyone’s ass 

Pay no mind, nothing to see here. 
Oh, & get off my lawn. 

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 9:26pm
A 12v generator is a much easier swap and looks original, just say’in 😬

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

A 12v generator is a much easier swap and looks original, just say’in 😬

Lee

X2!!  When I see an alternator under the hood of an old Willys Jeep, I feel a little bit sad.Cry
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 11:13pm
  Yeah, that silver-colored alternator just kinda jumps out at ya when the hood is opened. The only thing worse is when it’s on an antique tractor. Then it cant hide. But no, before anybody says anything, I am not an officer of the Tractor Police. Good thing. 
Now, Get off my lawn. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>