Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change Generator to an Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Yeah, that silver-colored alternator just kinda jumps out at ya when the hood is opened.
BW 

I painted mine black.
Does that make it ok? Big smile

...probably just lipstick on a pig knowing this crowd. LOL

Edited by Ron D - 26 May 2023 at 9:26am
1951 M38
1951 M100
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:11am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

A 12v generator is a much easier swap and looks original, just say’in 😬

Lee

X2!!  When I see an alternator under the hood of an old Willys Jeep, I feel a little bit sad.Cry

It’s the cheap way to 12V, a 10SI is a very good alternator and you can get one at the bone yard for $20 and you can usually tell with Jeeps in a group have one as they chirp upon start up, trying to charge that battery instantly

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:29am
"Chirp" on start up?
Don't think mine does that but maybe I missed it.

Yes, "cheap way to 12V", compared to $500 for a 24V generator.
1951 M38
1951 M100
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

"Chirp" on start up?
Don't think mine does that but maybe I missed it.

Yes, "cheap way to 12V", compared to $500 for a 24V generator.

Ron, it’s the belt slipping as the alt wants to charge the battery instantly, a properly maintained belt tension usually eliminates the issue, I’m sure yours is spot on maintenance wise 👍🏽 My cheap comment was the fact if you source a 12v Auto-Lite generator and have it rebuilt you may be north of $250 plus a new regulator, few are willing to spend the money. I personally like the 12V generator and suits me well for the little power needed on these fine machines

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:15pm
I was thinking that painting the alternator black would help. 
I can understand, if a guy gets a jeep that is missing the generator, or it is totally blown up, it can be expensive to replace or repair. Not everyone has a stock of cores available. And, as Lee said, the alternator can be the economical way to go. What bugs me is those (mostly FNG’s) who think that, just because some “expert” told him so, that you “HAVE TO” get rid of the generator and replace it with an alternator, with no more explanation of “why” than just “You HAVE TO”, even if it’s working or needs minor repair. The same issue applies to the brakes, the steering, and other features of our jeeps that make them what they were, and what they are. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:56pm
It's the heated seats that make me lust after 12 volts.   Bun warmers are bad arse
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

It's the heated seats that make me lust after 12 volts.   Bun warmers are bad arse

Not sure I would fit heated seats on one of these, sitting over the gas tank & all.
 Would get your butt warm really quick if the thing shorted out & caused a bit of fire...... Shocked
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 5:32pm
A blast in the ast!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 12:13pm
https://vintageautogarage.com/1941-1956-kaiser-willys-jeep-jeepster-12-volt-negative-ground-alternator-kit-kwj4171-12/

I'm mulling a conversion kit for mine to add a winch and second battery.  These guys seems to be putting together some really good kits.  And the alternators come in black.  They have very good information on the types of alternators and what the differences are.
My 6v system works just fine though and has been very reliable so the idea of replacing something that works is holding me back
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 12:45pm
First time I converted a Jeep to 12V I used a 12V generator I took off an old Chevy. Worked fine for many years, and you could push it off and run it without a battery.

Saw some alternators some place built to look like old generators, but they were pricey. 

If I had a Jeep with original 6V system and could get it into working order that is what I would do rather than converting it, unless I planned on adding an electric winch, but that isn't likely. Every Jeep I have owned that came with a winch I pulled the winch and sold it to buy parts I needed to fix something else on the Jeep. I have been through plenty of rough places in a Jeep and never have used a winch. I do carry a come-along and have used that a few times, but nowadays I don't do any much trail riding that is likely to get me in trouble.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 1:36pm
I removed my pto winch because I felt that if I had it , it would be more likely I would need it.Confused
Doing something stupid would just be too easy.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12