Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CHOICE OF GAUGE METAL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHOICE OF GAUGE METAL
    Posted: 14 June 2021 at 11:55pm
HELLO
When boxing in a CJ-2A frame , up by the front crossmember to frt. bumper, what gauge metal should be used.  I need to replace the tubular crossmember and to add strength, I want to box in the frame like the M38's were.

thanks, Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 12:41am
I use 3/16” which is the same thickness as the formed channel.
When I attach a Saginaw bolt pattern to the frame horn I use the same 3/16” plate and use heavy gauge crush sleeves where the long Saginaw mounting bolts go through the channel.
If your just trying to keep the horn from cracking up at the bumper area you can get by with much less boxed of a area.
If you’re adding a Ramsey winch cradle like the m38 frame horn has then make it like just the m38 frame horns. But personally I think the m38 frame horn winch cradle bolts are somewhat of a poor design. I does not make any sense to attach a 3/8” thick cradle to a thin horn gusset since the bolts only go into the horn gusset.
If you need pics I could do that tomorrow.
EDiT:
Actually my experience is only with the thicker cj3 frames.
For what reason are you boxing your 2A frame ?

Edited by oldtime - 15 June 2021 at 12:49am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 3:47am
Since needing to replace the tubular crossmember, found some rust out,  boxing in the frame is easy to do and will add strength for sag steering, winch, and tow bar. Bumper is gone and the bumpers upper & lower brackets are cracked and missing  a few rivets so the brackets have been removed. boxing the frame all the up, IMO, would be a good thing and no better time to do so.
Yes, in the past, have sleeved the steering box mount and will do so on this 2A. Having no brackets in the way is a plus when mounting the box. 

Edited by jeepsterjim - 15 June 2021 at 10:55am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 11:06am
If I’m not mistaken the 2A frames are only like 1/8” or 10 gauge thickness. There is no sense in going any thicker than the parent metal. The 2A was very well gussetted for bumper attachment but that large gusset will certainly be in the way if installing a Saginaw box.
I suggest you use 10 gauge channel boxing all the way back to your crossmember. Keep attachments through frame channel to a bare minimum. All attachments through frame must be well sleeved and use large thick washers on the outside of the frame channel. Extra gussets will be required at the front bumper. But that can be modified from its original form to allow for Saginaw clearance.
A power Saginaw would be best with s brace going to the RH frame channel or perhaps a custom winch cradle could be used for additional support between the rails.

Edited by oldtime - 15 June 2021 at 11:14am
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 1:46pm
Here you see a 3B frame with full size gusseting tacked in place:

Here you see a 3B frame with frame horn crack that was repaired then a small gusset added to the critical area. 
Was driven over 80k miles with no more cracks forming.
Zero aftermarket parts

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 11:10am
Ken
Yes the 2A is not 3/16 but close enough to 1/8 that it should work fine. Good part is I have plenty of both metals on hand. How you describe doing the job of boxing in the frame and installing the sag box is almost how I have done them in the past and will do so on the 2A.  Since the bumper & brackets were toast, the sag box mount can be mounted nicely and so will the new bumper once the sag box is in place. The first pic of the 3B boxed frame is what I'm shooting for.

Thanks for the feed back and pics!!!

Edited by jeepsterjim - 16 June 2021 at 11:11am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply