Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chuck Wagon Canvas Update!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chuck Wagon Canvas Update!!
    Posted: 19 Mar. 2009 at 9:10pm

Is there anyone with an original Chuck Wagon Canvas top, who could made some measurements and take some closeup pics of it? 

This is how it looks like. 

Roger
Photobucket'>
Photobucket'>
Photobucket'>
Photobucket'>

Have talked to Jeff (JPET) and he is willing to help us out to collect data and make drawings of this top, if anyone with a original one could be helpful to take some measurments and pictures of the top 
we all appreciate this. I know about at least one guy here with a original one.
Remember how it started with the TOB BOWS and the CJ2A CANVAS TOP

Roger 

Edited by Roger B - 25 June 2011 at 3:33pm
1946 CJ2A Serial # 22728 Harvest Tan in parts

1947 CJ2A Serial #101548 Luzon Red Only 16000 km

1947? Bantam T3-C Serial # 20006
Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 5:49pm
BUMP

Roger

P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 6:07pm
I have made measurements sand have a top being made. I should get it back next week. Once I get it back and find no issues with my pattern I will post the drawings and pictures.    I printed out the pattern and sent to Black Dog Designs in Jophlin AR. I know other person has contacted them about making a top for their Bantam based on my drawings

Jamie
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2011 at 3:57am
My top is supose to be finished by Thursday.  These two PDF's are full size paterns that  I printed and sent to Black Dog Designs. 

When I get the top back I will post pictures.  Feel free to use the paterns at your own risk.

Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2011 at 2:45pm
Jamie:

Let me know when they are done with your top as I'll be getting ready to order mine.

Thanks,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2011 at 3:02pm
Jamie

Thank you for posting the pattern!
Have you used an original canvas top for measurments, or did you use your
trailer and bows for measures?
Looking forward for pics of your finished top.

Roger

P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2011 at 5:35pm
The trailer and bows. I printed out one and taped it to the trailer made corrections and reprinted
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:13am
Any update on this? I'm curious about how the cover turned out, since Jophlin is just an hour away...
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:19am
Came out nice.  My pattern was 1 1/2" too long. I posted  pictures under an other thread. I towed the Bantam at 70 mph over 300 miles at Easter.  Top handled great. I have put 1" spacers under the post.   An other 1/2 would be even better.
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Roger B Roger B wrote:

Have talked to Jeff (JPET) and he is willing to help us out to collect data and make drawings of this top, if anyone with a original one could be helpful to take some measurments and pictures of the top

Hi Roger, I have Ricks original top and I have made some drawings but before I post them I would like to get some measurements of your bows so that I can calculate any shrinkage. I need to know the width, and height. Also, how far apart are the bow sockets on the trailer? If someone can get me this info ASAP, I'll check my measurements and post up a drawing.

At your service.

Edited by jpet - 30 May 2011 at 3:54am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:15pm
Jeff, it´s nice to see you are back at the canvas construction department againLOL

Here are some measurments from my trailer and stakes/bows. My stakes/bows are not original,  but they are made from Gary Johnsons descripton on the T3-C site.

First the tub:
Length outside to outside 74"
Width outside to outside 48"
Stake pockets:
From outside to center of the first one 4"
From center to center of the first to the middle one 33"
From center to center of the middle to the last one 33"
From center of the last one to the outside 4"

Stakes and bows:
Heiht from top of the lip of the trailer to the top of the bent bow 23"
Width from outside to outside of the stakes  47 1/4"
Total length of the stakes 68"

I think the canvas would have approx 3" overhang on the tub.

If you need any other measurments, I am always at your service

Roger 

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:48pm
What are the locations of the hold downs on the side of the tub?
Also..... The canvas that I have suggests that the corner radii of the bows are approximately 4" (102.6mm). 
Also .... are the bow sockets 3" deep? (76.2mm)

Can you confirm please?

Thx
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:01pm
Jeff,
The pockets are 4"  deep on mine.
I have the 4 hook early style and the locations of those hooks from the front flat panel of the bantam are:
2 1/4"
24 3/4"
45 3/4"
68 1/4"
The measurements are to the center of the loop hook.
Again this is the early style and may not be the same measurements of the more comon later style.

Edited by Night0wl - 31 May 2011 at 2:17pm
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:04pm
Jeff,
If you get the bow measurements and specs I can spend some time on those.
I have a little bit of free time available.Wink
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:12pm
Folks,I meseaured all of this and drawings attached in this thread.   I designed a too long of a overlap.   I will be in Arkansa in 1 1/2 weeks and will be at the place that made mine. I added 1" spacers in my stake pockets. And wish it was 1/2" shorter still. Though it works     Jan at Black Dog designs has my patterns   She can look at. He top on the trailer and see if she can come up ith an more improvements.   Ie towed the trailer with the top over 750 miles to date and I am very pleased with it's performance
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:50pm
Hi Jamie,

I looked at your drawings and I am using them as a guideline for what I am making.  Thanks!Thumbs Up

I hope it does not appear that I am ignoring your work.  I am not,  I am trying to make drawings that duplicate an original top with some extra details that your drawings do not show.  An example would be that the rear end panel is not the same as the front rear panel.

All that being said,  Do you have original bows?  If so, what is the side radius?  4"?

Thanks.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:02pm
Jeff,
Have you gone here yet?
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:28pm
Thanks Dave.  Not enough info there though:

This is what I have for the front and rear panel:

The corner radii on this original top are approximately 4"  The front one is approximately 48" wide at the bottom and 43" wide where the edge comes tangent to the radius.  I don't know how much this top may have shrunk.  I need to confirm the 4" radius and 43" wide dimensions.

The rear panel is 52" wide at the bottom.

Edit:  If I read Dave's link correctly, it says that the 43" dimension is supposed to be 47"  That is what I need to know for sure.

Edited by jpet - 31 May 2011 at 3:32pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>