Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Circling in on starting my small business

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 8:29am
I would really appreciate talking to him.  I will send you message. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 9:03am
Just a guy reading your business dream post with some thoughts:

It is always easier to sell more products to the same customer than finding additional customers - think about a wider offering:  
1.  A combo  chicken tractor and chicken coop might be something to look into as a product.
2.  Most people who have chickens also garden - modern store bought potting soil and aged manure have a wood filler (forest products).  This forest products need to be remove by being put through a 1/4 to 1/2" sieve if success is to be had using these store bought planting products.  Come up with a sieve that can be used over a garden cart, that stores easily.
3.  A few of these same customers might be interested in traditional wooden smoke houses. They are wood and 3' x3' x 4 foot tall.

All of these products  use similar materials, and tools to construct.

All the best to you with this.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 9:09am
Stev, 

I placed the post you referenced into pending approval status.

Abe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 3:49pm
Brand your product with a placard, company name and phone number.
1948 CJ2A Studebaker I6
https://www.youtube.com/@AbeYoung
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 8:33pm
I wanted to post a follow-up.  The business officially went live at the end of March.  It is a side business as I had originally planned.  I have jumped through the hoops and completed an amazing amount of government forms.  I am an LLC, and have certified my sawmill with the state so I can sell construction materials.  I have sold a decent amount of rough cut lumber and several chicken coops.  I’m doing book keeping on a spreadsheet at this point, but will likely move up to some software shortly. I pay my sales tax quarterly right now.

I am really enjoying the business.  My manufacturing process is getting more efficient with each build batch, but is still pretty slow.  I can see myself being quite happy doing this in retirement in 3 years.  
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 12:41am
Justin, that is good news!

Please Keep us informed as to how this business is doing.

I am pulling for you, Matt W.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 11:16am
saw mill, chicken houses, natural next endeavor: tiny houses.

might gonna be big business in the future?

it is great to hear something positive these days. all the best for you. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 11:16am
and what about jeep garages?
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

...tiny houses.

might gonna be big business in the future?

You aren't far off.  I have told both my kids that upon graduating from high school they will be helping me build their tiny home.  If they go off to college, they can either leave it at my house or take it with them, but during the summers they live in it.  If they choose not to go to college, they move into it immediately.  I won't let them be homeless, but they won't be living in my house.  The intent is to ease them into embracing their own life and responsibilities.  My wife is onboard with it. 
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 8:11am
Here is another quick update.  Business is going very well.  This is still a side hustle for the next 38 months.  I now have a tax guy just to tamp down any worries on that.  My goal for this first year was to have $20k in gross sales.  I started the business in late March of this year.  With a delivery I need to do next week I will have reached that goal.  So needless to say I underestimated the demand.  I will start the process of additional product development in the next month or two.  I really do enjoy the slower pace of my little business, I am excited for it to be my only employment in the not too distant future.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 6:06pm
Glad it’s going well.  Post up some pics of what your making. I’d love to you see your stuff!

Edited by Scratch - 17 June 2023 at 6:07pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
wish i knew more View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 7:48am
Congrats on your progress! Any updates?
Indeed, the unquantifiable passion acts as the fulcrum in every successful business story. That said, besides continuously tweaking your products, you should also look towards maximizing your ad efficacy. I've personally found this AdSpy tool super useful. It's a great tool to research what works best in your sector, keeping you ahead of trends. It will let you peek at seasoned campaigns and help improve your ad strategy whilst saving you some major trial and error.
You seem to have a future-oriented approach, and strategic ad analysis could be an added feather in your cap. Good luck with your goal for heightened sales, I'm sure your tenacity will continue yielding fruits.

Edited by wish i knew more - 13 Oct. 2023 at 5:19am
My name is Cameron Koehn.

1946 CJ2A, Frame: -----, Body: 17909. Engine: Flathead V8(proposed), Originally Harvest Tan I think.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 9:26am
I have concluded chicken coop construction for this year.  It was very successful.  I will start back up in the very early spring.  I had a total of about $30k in gross sales from March 1st through October 1st.  I definitely learned a lot.  This is just a part-time business at this point.  I now better understand the saying, "time is money." It is all about efficiency in production and logistics.  I have my supplier base set at this point and I have ironed out my ordering cycles.  My ad messaging seems to be spot on.  Next year I will reassess my equipment requirements and makes some decisions on if my mill and material handling equipment is still the right fit.  

My site is below if anyone is interested in checking it out or giving feedback:
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 11:11am
Those coops look great!

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 4:24pm
It is good to hear this news.

Thanks for the update, Matt W.

PS. I am still pulling for you.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2023 at 6:19pm
Justin, congrats on the business startup (lifestyle change)! And, the first successful season!
If I had any use for one of those I'd be a customer! But, retirement and trying to get out of Mass means one of those wouldn't fit in my motorhome!
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2023 at 9:44am
That's just crazy, how do they expect people to make a living when they are scraping every penny they can from you?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12