Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ Identification
    Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 5:44pm
UPDATE - ADDED A FEW MORE PICTS. Thanks for the quick responses!

All,

Thanks for letting me join the group.  Been a Willy's fan for a while - own a couple Jeepsters and finally picked up a CJ.

I'm having trouble identifying which model it is.  No plates left and who knows if it's the original engine.

They replaced the windshield (with a CJ3a version).  That's easy to spot.
The passenger seat is fixed (does not flip up).  No tool box underneath.  I'm figuring they didn't re-install it.
The thing that has me perplexed is the tub.  According to the "records" they replaced the tub in 2012.  Which tub did they use?
Has a glove box - MB/GPW?
Shovel/Axe indentations are on the passenger side? Never seen any models with that

All else seems to be CJ2A parts.

Any help or explanation is appreciated.

Thank you

Rounded bar behind the front grill and dash and floor:

Edited by tufcj2a - 19 Apr. 2018 at 10:29pm
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 6:16pm
At first glance i'll call it an M38 tub.  Windshield (screwed closed vent), tool indents and lack of side drains screams M38. Does the tub have the front floor drains, the dash with small glove box, removable inst panel, far left mounted parking brake? It does not have the hinged M38 grill however. The hood has no willys stamp but no fording cutout. Does the tailgate have the willys stamp?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 7:23pm
Nice looking Jeep!

The tub could be a replacement tub from a few years or more back.  Seem to remember that had M38 tool indents, Cj2/3a dash holes and the MB glove box.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 7:47pm
A photo of the dash/floorboard area would help.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 8:22pm
This add was over on ewillys this morning... It was described as having a replacement body, the tool indents can be seen on passenger side. I know this is a 3B, but maybe the same company was producing these body's?

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:18pm
deleted

Edited by Mark W. - 20 Apr. 2018 at 4:14am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 11:20pm
M-38 windshield, older reproduction tub, CJ-2/3, front clip. Frame is most likely 2A.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 3:14am
Definately an early reproduction body sitting on a 2A chassis/frame.  The dash gives it away.  Combination of MB/CJ/M38 features.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 5:20am
Frankenstein????
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 6:03am
"Combination of MB/CJ/M38 features."

Big smile I like it though. Dig the MB ignition switch, cigar lighter, and dual ashtrays! Clap  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2018 at 11:57pm
19456789 Bitsa. Tongue
If it works and it's fun, it's all good.
1946 CJ2A 14098
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 12:58am
Well, fixed the carb so we have her running smooth now.  Did a check of everything and a few minor things to clean up, fix, or otherwise make pretty.  Except ... the master cylinder is shot.  Leaks like a sieve when pumped or even touched.  Ordered a new one and should arrive next Wednesday.  Hopefully have her on the road next Thursday.

Since she's no where near original, I'm not going to feel bad about doing safety and comfort upgrades; she's never going to be pretty to those who can't appreciate her.

Ordered seat belts for both sides (olive drab with silver clasps).  Made an emergency kit with fire extinguisher, tools etc, for under the passenger seat.  Ordered a rubber mat for the back deck.  And going to hook up an old tachometer (cheapy one, but looks decent, see if it's useful or I can remove it easy enough).

Did some math.  

Fabbed a 10A 12v system to support a stereo and usb charger.  Under full load with lights on, should  be just at generator capacity if the system is clean, we'll see what the ammeter says.

Staying on a budget, I'm using 2 4" 160w speakers on a Sony 50W/channel head unit with an aux jack (no BT, but I didn't want to shell out for a new system, this will do just fine).  Stereo at full with USB charging a device should draw about 8 amps @ 12v.  Running load of the vehicle is about 2 amps @ 6v.  Lights draw about 10 amps @ 6 volt.  Puts me at 28 amps.

Built the wiring harness and frame.  Will put it in the glove compartment.

Speakers will mount under the dash.  Plenty loud, not obnoxious, and keeps the "original" look.

At some point soon I'll do a brake conversion, very soon.  I've had too many brake failures with these old systems.  Looking at various options for front disk with dual resv master cylinder.

If the 6 volt system holds up then I'll happily keep it.  Otherwise easy enough to convert to 12 volt.  Just like to keep to keep as much as original as practical.

Post Reply Post Reply