Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ in drab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophthoidoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ in drab
    Posted: 12 July 2017 at 10:50pm

I've enjoyed reading others' threads so its time to upload a few pics of my own...
I've wanted a military-looking CJ for some time but also wanted a vehicle I could use around our property to haul wood, rocks etc
Whilst pondering an ATV vs a Jeep I serendipitously came across this old CJ2a & the decision was made.
My hope was to balance the look of an old MB jeep with something I could knock around and not worry about scratching or denting. That meant a blend of mechanical TLC (the old thing actually wasn't in bad shape) & cosmetic work so that it looked the part.
Overall I'm happy with the result & have achieved my goals. I had fun along the way but like all of these projects I still have a long list of things that I plan to work on (learning as I go). Thinking about a 30cal mount...
I absolutely need to plug Drew Norman's "Jeep Farm" (check out their website) - his help & expertise was truly-old school. A big thanks also to David from the CJ2 board who helped me avoid re-inventing the wheel on many occasions. 
We were (largely) done in time for our local July 4th parade which allowed me to share the experience with my family, lead the marine Humvee's & honor the sacrifice of those who fought for the freedoms we all enjoy every day but never ever take for granted.
Regards to all from California
Doug

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:11am
Wow!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 12:14am
gotta hand it to you, that was a slick transformation. Nicely done.
You got skills.Thumbs UpThumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 2:16am
Doug,that's a really nice job,congrats!!!Thumbs UpEnjoy driving it.I did the same thing with mine and I drive it almost every day.Lots of fun!Thumbs Up

Giles

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 6:01am
Fantastic work there! Clap
Guillermo Castelli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guillermo Castelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 2:48pm
Impressive job! Planninig on doing the same thing soon, so this is very inspirational! 
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 5:31pm
Gotta say, I think the MB/GPW grill, with its 9 slots and small headlamps, is my all-time favorite Jeep grill. Utterly classic and American!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 12:45am
Looks fantastic!
nice work.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 9:53pm
The 'MB's' looking pretty convincing...next thing you need is a windshield scabbard with an M1 Garrand.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply