Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2 327 Cooling Tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2 327 Cooling Tips?
    Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 12:21am
Hi again guys! I’m back with another question for the 2A Jedis...

My ‘47 CJ2A Frankenstein has a 66(ish) 2nd Generation 327. Likely a Chevelle I’ve been told. Mechanical fan usually does good but I found at times the engine seemed way hotter than the gauges show. Gauges are tested and sound but I’m wondering if it’s getting hotter around the head. At some point someone used a bunch of silicone to seemingly quick fix an issue with the intake manifold. It’s since been replaced and fixed but leads me to my question here.

Has anyone had this issue before? Electric fan tips? Anybody experimented with putting a thin electric fan in front of the radiator behind the grill? 

Any other tips would be real helpful - thanks guys!!!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 12:46am
What are you using for a radiator? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 12:52am
Infrared thermometer to check temps on engine?
Mike in AZ
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 1:14am
In stock form, Gen I sbc's are known for somewhat uneven block/head temperatures.  There are a number of aftermarket products to address this including rear manifold ports plumbed to the thermostat area and (like Gen II) reverse flow systems.  My solution is just to get more water volume through the system.  You should start with a high flow water pump.  My current engine is using a FlowKooler 1880.  I had a custom aluminum water pump pulley machined to speed the pump up 15%.  I'm using a 19x26x3" cross flow welded aluminum radiator (from Summit) with my custom shroud and a 19" Flex-a-lite mechanical (no flex) steel fan.  It works well.  I'm still not a big fan (excuse the pun) of electric fans.  The mechanical fan eats more horse power but with a sbc in a Willys, that probably isn't a big concern.

Last, throw a bottle of water wetter in the system.  In my experience it's good for about a 5 degree drop all by its self.

In stock form, I've measured almost a 10 degree difference between the rear head port and the thermostat.  That probably doesn't have too big an impact in normal, utilitarian use.  But if you are starting to push the limits of a specific engine, it can cause all sorts of havoc.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 1:49am
What's the engine compartment look like ?
Do you have a winch in front ?
When was the radiator cleaned/checked ?
What does the radiator core measure ?
At the minimum, you need 327 square inches of cooling surface/fin area.
What's the history?
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 5:43am
Thanks for the thorough details here gang, much appreciated.

Posting to the questions on my phone here so apologies if it’s a bit hectic.

I have a Griffin Universal 3” thick radiator, year old fits real nice with the tapered bottom. Flushed and checked two months back. No winch on front but there is a classic tow bar.  I’m not sure about the core but will get back here tomorrow with that. 

History is the old girl was a early 70s crawler beast... 327 with the original Edelbrock QJ, mated with a engineering-marvel (angle wise) of a transfer case to a SM 421 KD M20/21 Transmission. Power steering added inside front bumper on drivers side. Dana Rear 44 lockers, rear axle from a Scout, not sure about the front but likely D25s. No way I would’ve touch this with a 10’ pole intiallt considering the hodgepodge but she was my grandads so had to bring her back home... 

DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 5:48am
Thanks Duffer - super great tips will give those a shot. I think my radiator is solid but let me know if your experience tells you otherwise. 

I don’t intend to crawl with this but do like to take her to the mountains in the summer... I also have a small trailer I tow with her, nothing major maybe 1500-2000 lb gross tops. 

I know the sbcs can run just fine over 200 but makes me nervous everytime lol. Appreciate the tips!
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 7:39am
Installing a flowkooler water pump and thermostat will help increase back pressure in the heads which helps in the cooling. A good 6 blade metal fan and shroud will also help. Running a motor at 210  all day won't hurt a thing.  Low RPM.....creepy crawling... can overheat a motor sometimes.  When crawling in hot weather I had a "portable" electric fan that mounted in front of the grille and it solved all heating problems.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 8:16pm
Thanks guys - I’m looking now on Summit for the FlowKooler... don’t see the 1880 but there is an 1888. Looks like the right one for my 327 but let me know your thoughts - thanks gents!
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by DadaNich DadaNich wrote:

Thanks guys - I’m looking now on Summit for the FlowKooler... don’t see the 1880 but there is an 1888. Looks like the right one for my 327 but let me know your thoughts - thanks gents!

1888 has a 5/8" pilot, 1880 has a 3/4" pilot, slightly larger inlet diameter, and the cam stop.  Most fans are 5/8".  If you only are running electric fan(s), either would work.  I'm pretty sure both use the same impeller.  They fit well over a stock timing gear cover but with some aluminum aftermarket covers you need to change out the water pump rear cover bolts for some low profile versions-short head Allens or button heads.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:13pm
Also, mechanical fan blades should be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud, with around inch between the shroud and the blade. Hayden's website has some good info on fan/fan clutch/shroud/radiator set ups. Ignition timing can also be an issue. Run a distributor with a vacuum can hooked to manifold vacuum so that at idle your around 36 to 40 degrees advance with the vac can connected. It will help cooling when you are cruising down the road as well, and get you better gas mileage. It can be some work getting the initial timing, amount of vacuum advance, and amount of mechanical advance dialed in, but once it's right it pays off. 

Edited by drm101 - 16 Sep. 2020 at 4:38pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 6:29pm
Thanks guys - she currently has a speedway sbc Performance Water Pump. Part # 91015580. Guessing the FlowKooler is an upgrade to this? Appreciate the continued support and info! I’ll send pics this weekend to help illustrate 
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 2:51am
Someplace in my shop I have one of those Speedway short aluminum pumps sitting on the shelf.  New.  I seem to recall it has a stamped steel rotor.  My best guess is yes, the Flowkooler probably flows better. Probably significantly better.  There just doesn't seem to be enough info available for either to make an actual comparison.
DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 5:37pm
Thanks fellas - I’ve ordered the FlowKooler, keep you guys posted.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2020 at 4:02am
DadaNich
    I would consider a nice flex fan that pulls good air at idle, and with a good shroud.
The nice thing about a 4:1 Tera-Low is you can keep your rev's up, and fan turning without breaking any land-speed-records.

The reviews of the flex fan mention curing overheating at idle at intersections.  (sounds good).
The nice thing about a flex fan is once you get up to high rpm the blades flatten out some for expressway running. (except for climbing the grade on I-80 east of Salt Lake City w trailer in August).
Maybe a good shroud and mech (no-flex) fan would not be prone to elec fan relay issues and resulting overheating.
A buddy with a Rubicon edition had poor luck running electric fans in the So-Cal desert.
and that was with hood vents and an in-line six.   Hmm  elec at Pick-n-Pull off of something might do.
The fan on my '78 Ford 460 measures 18" dia with six blades (I just had it off due to a failed fan clutch).  The fans on bigger engines have more depth on the blade for pulling air, which you might borrow your buddies fan off his '78 F-250.  grinning.
What to do.  So now i'm wondering what your end result will be.   Happy Holidays !!  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply