Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2-02
    Posted: 05 June 2019 at 4:25pm
Didn’t know this one existed, but of course Fred Coldwell did... 

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 5:56pm
This restoration was kind of kept under wraps, possibly due to the source of some of the repro parts?

CJ2-02 was the DAVEY Compressor Jeep. It was returned to DAVEY after the CJ2A's were introduced.
It was a runabout Jeep at Davey Compressor, Davey Drill, and Highway Products (made the postal Jeeps and the Selouki CJ5's for export) in Kent Ohio. The Jeep was sold by the Meyer family (who operated Davey Companies - and still do). The Bissler family of Kent (Bill and his son worked at DAVEY) once owned this Jeep. The Jeep was then  sold to a beverage distributor operating out of  981 Home Avenue, Akron Ohio. (Now OVS Grinding).

Somehow, the original body , and the frame, and the repro body, and the compressor equipment, ended up in Northwest PA. (Or the title was swapped to another vehicle).

I never realized the resto was completed. 

Congratulations Mr. Bender!
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 6:34pm
Joe,

Should have known you would know about it. Interesting story, thanks for the history lesson.

Bill

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 7:01pm
I learned of it when he sold the original tailgate to Daron many years ago, shortly afterwards,  MD JUAN contacted me for prints to make a new body tub for it. Keep in mind the multi-belt PTO and MASSIVE compressor would have made the floors look like swiss cheese due to all the holes, and warped from the weight of the compressor.

There are a few loose ends though. Bill B told me that he bought in in NorthWest PA.
The OBIT's for people named Althouse in PA between 1993 and 1996 only list locations beween Philly and Harrisburg, and one near Dayton , Ohio.

I don't blame him for protecting his 'sources' with a little diversion.Wink

Looks nice.
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 5:03am
I'd like to speak with this gentleman about his truck.

Very interesting story about -02. I'd love to be able to spend my days driving around and searching the back roads for old JEEPs. Unfortunately, that doesn't pay the mortgage. 
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 11:17am
Wheelie,

I don't know him myself, but he put this post on the Old Willys Forum, where I got this link from. He has been pretty active on there answering questions. I'm sure if you asked him something, he would respond.

Bill

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 2:46am
Yes. I have to try to remember my member info to sign in. Haven't checked in there in a long time. Looks like it's getting more active there than it had been last time I looked.

Thanks Bill.
 Post Reply Post Reply