Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taterm6x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Advice
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 1:20am
Hey, new member here looking for a little advice. I’m after a CJ2A to restore. Not necessarily to original but a fun driver none the less. I came across this today. The body is not salvageable but the frame and all running gear is intact and appears to be in decent shape. Although it would be cool to find one with a tub in better shape, this would give me a rolling chassis to start with. He is asking $400-$500 and if I wanted the flathead engine it would be another $400. The engine was pulled and has been stored inside. I think I could walk away at $800 for all. The one thing that concerns me right off the bat is the front frame looks like a plate was welded at the side of the steering box  (pictured) and the crossmember there was cutout. Any advice here whether you would take it or leave it?
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 1:30am
The list of things that are there isn't all that long, and that which is there is likely rusted through and through. Considering what you COULD get for just a grand or two, this looks like far more work than it's worth. Just wait and get something FAR FAR better for 2 or 3K. Even THAT will be a HUGE amount of work. THIS just seems too far gone. I mean if it were a rare WWII MB with the right numbers or something - maybe. But a plain old CJ salad? Not worth it IMHO.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 1:36am
Spend a bit more and save a huge amount. Old jeeps that are very, very cheap are the most expensive jeeps. For 2k you can find one that only needs 2k more to run well. The one you are looking at will most likely end up in the scrap yard with you left to sell gauges and little else. Been there and done that. Pass on that one.

Steve
taterm6x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taterm6x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 1:54am
I have restored both a CJ-5 and a 7. I’m new to the earlier Willy’s stuff so learning as I go. My thought was to get a decent rolling chassis and go from there but I believe the consensus here will be to spend a little more on one intact, running and not modified and leave this one that’s sat in the field for the last 35 years. I’m ready to get one in the garage!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:01am
that's the jeep you drop 2-300 on cuz it has several parts on it that the jeep you paid 2k for needs... you still need to take it apart and scrap the waste.  most attractive piece to me is the pintle Wink 

a removed engine you can't hear run and likely cant open up before buying it is a pig in a poke without some impressive paper.  if it turns with a wrench and has no visible damage its 150 to me, max.

lf you can get everything for 400 it might be worth the hassle for the bits.  thats just not the start of a project to me

ETA... that looks like a v6 bell housing.  could sweeten the pot, but not a lot (to me)

Edited by mbullism - 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:03am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:07am
Someone had a Chevy motor in there, based on the bellhousing and motor mounts. 2-300 max for what is there.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:23am
Lets see, the transmission & the transfer case are probably full of water & very rusted since there is no top keeping the rain off of the shift levers. The gears are likely junk as are all of the bearings. The cases themselves are probably OK. The steering box has sat without the cover bolted down, again, rust issues. The wheels are incorrect, they will work to roll it around the shop though. The glass in the windscreen is broken. I do not see any parking brake handle, I may just be blind on that.

It does have two vacuum windscreen wiper motors, a pintle hitch, a fair looking windscreen frame & both front & rear axles. Do I spy Dualmatic hubs on the front axle? Both bumpers look like they would be repairable. The bell housing is a find for someone wanting to put a Buick V-6 in their Willys. The front input shaft on the transmission should be the correct long one for the Buick engine, but it is probably not usable due to rust. The tailgate looks good, or is it also rusted?

Is the steering box the correct one for this Jeep? It looks wrong to me.

Do you get a clear title? A bill of sale? Any paperwork would be a plus.

I have seen worse fenders & body rebuilt with success.

With no title, I would not pay more than $200.00 for that rig. The title is worth $200.00 here
in Colorado, as that is what it would cost me to get a bond title. That & a lot of time, about 6 months, spent chasing around to get the paper work done for the state.

However, the engine, if complete including starter, generator, carburetor, distributor, water pump, fuel pump, & radiator, & if it turns freely, is worth the $400.00

Personally, I would skip the Jeep & probably buy the engine, if complete & free turning.

All that being said, it is worth what you & the seller agree upon.

I would offer him $400.00 for the entire shooting match. The worst that he can say is no.

Good luck. IHTH Cpt Logger.

taterm6x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taterm6x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:37am
Thanks for the reply’s. Several things now mentioned do seemed to be modified. I was under the impression he had the original flathead 4 cylinder for it. I do not know what was in it previous but does look like a 6 or 8 Chevy possibly. The body on upper left firewall has a serial number so a bill of sale is all I would need here in GA. That shouldn’t be a problem for me here. I do believe it’s in my best interest to walk away from this one and find something original and running.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:48am
I see an M-38 gas tank and windshield frame, possibly M-38 tailgate that is only partially usable, a 2A frame, M-38 seat frames... is that an early repro tub, by any chance?  It's certainly not worth much. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 3:11am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Is the steering box the correct one for this Jeep? It looks wrong to me...

No, appears to be a cobbled in Saginaw.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 12:55pm
I see a PTO handle there.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 3:35pm
I'm generally for rescuing all of them.  I this case, he should pay you to take this one away.  I see very little value here.  

At $400.00, the engine sounds like it has value.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 3:50pm
I recently found one in similar condition, took it home for free... 

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 6:00pm
I never got one for free.  The last one I just had to save has cost me a bundle.  It is on the road and fun to drive but not done yet.  They do not all need to be saved.  Start with a better Jeep.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Jonny Zuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Zuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 5:07am
I am facing the same dilemma. Buying a junker and building a Samurai/CJ2A hybrid or spending a lot more for a running CJ2A. Of course, I would prefer a stock, running CJ2A. 

Unfortunately, there really are not too many CJ2As currently for sale in Oklahoma. The ones I am finding are either $10k+ for a decent running/titled vehicle or $4k for a parts vehicle/no drivetrain/has not run in decades CJ2a that the buyer thinks is a goldmine despite its salvage like condition. 

I’ve searched over the various eWillys ads for some time, and it looks like the Oklahoma area has inflated prices for some reason.  I imagine I will eventually take a trip out west to pick up a cleaner, lower cost CJ2a.   
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 7:31am
Keep looking. I have never spent more than $2000 for a running Jeep with a V6, OD and a PTO winch. I suppose some people just want to start at the high end.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply