Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A bogs down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 willys 4133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A bogs down
    Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:35pm
I have read through 100+ posts on this forum and I still cannot figure out what is wrong with my 47 CJ2A. It all started when I returned from a 6 month deployment. My 47 ran fine before I left and I kept it in the garage the duration of the deployment. I even had my wife start it up at about the 3 month mark and she had it on and idling for 15 min no problem she said. Then I returned home to it hoping to drive it. I started it up and drove down the road didn’t even make it 50 yards and it bogged down hard, I’m lucky I made it back to my garage. My first thought was I needed to clean the carb. So took apart the carb checked for any broken parks soaked it in parts cleaner overnight and put it all back together. Still had the same problem I checked the fuel pump and filter the pump was pumping fuel as It should and the filter was clean. So then I moved over to see if it was an issue with spark. I replaced the spark plugs and it started up and idled but as soon as you hit the gas it bogged down again hard and would die. So then I moved to the distributor I bought a new condenser and contacts from Kaiser willys. I put them in and gapped the contacts and it finally started up and ran perfect. It was about midnight the night I did this so I ran it down the road and back and it ran like a charm. The next day I was finally gonna take it out for a long drive it started up fine and I drove it around my neighborhood for about 6 miles or so to make sure she want gonna die on me. And everything was running great even better than before I left, so I got on the main roads and as soon as I got 100ft on a main road it bogged down. Luckily I made it to a side road and it died. I pushed it to a parking lot and popped the hood. I was on the side of the road for about 15 minutes and all I did was take the distributor cap off blow in it and put it back on and it started up fine so I raced home and as soon as I got in my drive way it bogged down and died. So then I thought my coil was going bad because as it got warmer when I drove it for 10 min it was going bad and when I was on the side of the road it cooled down enough for me to start it and get home. So I bought a new coil and installed it. I’m STILL having the bog down issue I even replaced the 14 gauge wire and terminals that connect the distributor to the coil to make sure it wasn’t a bad connection. The weirdest thing is that if I leave it sit over night and before I start it I take off the distributor cap and just mess with it for a second or two and put it back on it will fire right up and run as it should for about a minute then it will bog down again and die. At the moment I ordered a new distributor cap and rotor from Kaiser willys but at this point if that doesn’t fix it I don’t know what else it could be. I have seen that people have had a problem with bad condensers right out of the box could that be it? If so does any one have a link to a good brand? I would think this issue has to be electrical because when it runs for that one minute before it bogs down it runs and accelerates perfect. Until it hits a certain point and just idles like crap and if you hit the gas it just dies. 
Thanks for your help 
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 4:41pm
It could still be fuel related, like something is floating around in the tank and gets sucked against the fuel pickup. When it shuts off the dirt floats off and it gets fuel again for a little while. If it’s a floatIng piece of dirt, filling the tank may keep it out of the pickup a little longer and help diagnose the problem.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
47 willys 4133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 willys 4133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:50pm
I don’t think it’s a fuel supply issue my fuel filter is in between my fuel pump and carb and it’s never empty with fuel. I would think I would see a fluctuating level of fuel in it if something kept blocking fuel in the tank. Worth a look in the tank though. 
Thanks
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:57pm
Another condenser?  Even new ones can be faulty or go bad quickly. Similar problems from not too long ago

Edited by Michaeltru - 15 May 2021 at 8:00pm
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 willys 4133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:19pm
Do you know a good brand?
Kenw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:07pm
Mine was replaced with an Echlin from NAPA.
It's been running great since.

Sounds a lot like what I went through. 

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:08pm
Make sure the wire from the coil to the distributor is not grounding out on the distributor housing. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:50pm
This happened to me on Day 1 of the 2018 Fall Colors Tour.  We were going down the road and all of the sudden the motor started sputtering, almost like a vapor lock. It finally died. We were in a caravan of 20 or so Jeeps. Everyone pitched in to get my Jeep up and running.  After 45 minutes of replacing points, condenser, coil, checking for fuel pressure, etc., we had to leave it and ride with others for the rest of the day. That night we picked it up with the trailer and took it back to Mike's shop.  Several were waiting to try to solve the mystery.  We took the dizzy cap off again. Now, out of the bright sunlight, we saw a spark when the screw driver shaft accidentally touched the side of the dizzy. Of course, this should not be.  It turns out there was some oily dirt build up on the stud on the outside of the dizzy running to the coil. It was shorting out the connection to the dizzy body, just like athawk11 is suggesting.  We cleaned it all up and it fired right up. There is also a rubber grommet on the inside of that stud that isolates it from the dizzy. If that is bad, you will have the same shorting out issue.
Bruce
1949 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 willys 4133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:32pm
Just to be sure you’re talking about the red wire correct? Because that’s mine, I just replaced that today, and the grommet wasn’t bad. The coil is also brand new no dirt or grime on it.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:21am
You might have some sort of debris in the gas tank from old gas.
I have seen gas with alcohol form black strands like fine hair.
It can clog a filter, then fall back to the bottom of the filter housing when it stops flowing.
A clean tank with fresh gas might not be a bad thing.
At least you could rule that out and feel better about the fuel system.
1946 CJ2A 14098
BUTA46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUTA46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:55am
No expert here, but you might try getting some fuel line and connecting straight to the fuel pump from a gas can so you can eliminate the tank. My Jeep was acting similarly. I had a fuel filter between the pump and the carb that showed fuel as well. But, that gas wasn’t going anywhere. The line was clogged at the tank but the fuel pump didn’t override the vacuum caused by the blockage. New gas tank because I then realized what was in there blocking the supply line. Fixed the problem.
After sitting for six months, something settling in the tank kind of makes sense to me.
BUTA- Back Up Try Again

46 CJ2A #73349   “Poison Icky”
46 CJ2A #51119.   “Rock Sand”
46 CJ2A #80102.   “Marilyn Jean”
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Kenw Kenw wrote:

Mine was replaced with an Echlin from NAPA.
It's been running great since.

Sounds a lot like what I went through. 

X2 on the Echlin brand of dizzy parts. I have never had a dizzy problem in the 50+ years I have used Echlin parts.

Also, never buy gas with ethanol in it. The money saved buying ethanol blended gas is just not worth the hassle.

You need to eliminate one problem at a time. It could be either electrical or fuel related...or even both!

When you figure the problem out keep us posted...and thank you for your service!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 willys 4133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:48pm
Echlin for the win! Thankfully they had one in stock at the Napa down the road. Replaced my brand new one and she ran perfect. I guess I’m one of the many hit by bad condensers right out of the box. Let it be known if you by a condenser buy echlin from Napa. 
Thanks for all the help!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:13pm
Glad you found your solution and posted it for us to learn.  And thank you for your service
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 willys 4133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:03pm
No problem, and I appreciate it!
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:34am
This post reminded me of a long ago experience with my 2A of sputtering and stoppage. Running/driving/stop. Wouldn’t start, away from home with friends.  Sat a while, then started/ran/drove/stop again. After repeating the sitting a while and then headed home. 
Findings...a small stone in the fuel tank found its way and settled into the fuel line fitting at the bottom of the tank. Vibration actually wore the stone into the shape of the fitting and formed a plug. Driving sucked up the fuel in the bowl, pump, lines. Sitting allowed fuel to seep past the stone and could run a while. 
Life's jeep experiences. 🤔
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:24pm
I agree.  It sounds like condenser.  There is no relation statistically from one to the next.   Just because the last (new) one was bad, doesn't mean the next shouldn't or could also be.  I always get two at a time, and keep a spare vacuum sealed in the jeep. I got two today from NAPA and they are made in Mexico by ECHLIN. 

The one that is in my jeep now was also from NAPA, as I've played this game before.  It's only about a year old / 5000 miles, but can sense it failing lately when I'm driving, hence the new ones.  They seem to be a frequent problem no matter where you get them these days and it would be nice if they were more reliable.  Maybe a petition to ECHLIN is in order?

Edited by Qcanuck - 19 May 2021 at 10:36pm
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:59am
Condensers are not magic.
They are not brand new technology.
They have been in production for at least a century and if anything they should be better than they were at first.
I can remember when they were never in doubt and lasted well enough that some people didn't bother to change them every ti9me they changed points.
So why are all the current ones either bad or suspect?

Sorry I don't have any answer for this, but I needed to rant.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>