Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Build Deadline FCT 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Build Deadline FCT 2017
    Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 1:52am
We picked up this project last weekend. It came with a good title and has not been licensed since 1960. The Jeep came out of the southwest and is pretty straight with minimal rust. There is no engine, but it does have the rest of the drivetrain. Between now and the start of the Fall Colors Tour 2017 my dad (Fuzz), son (Dylan), and I are planning on building it into a mild trail Jeep.  

Plans may change, but we are thinking about fuel injecting an "odd fire" Buick V6. My grandpa had an "odd fire" in a flattie 40 some years ago so it would be nice to pull that engine swap off and add the fuel injection. Behind the V6 we are going to put a Ford T18 transmission and Dana 20 transfer case that we pulled out of my Jeep several years ago. We also have a few Dana 44 axles laying around that we are planning on narrowing up and using. Tire size will be in the 31" range. Power steering and swinging pedals will also make their way into the Jeep. 

We will keep you all posted on our progress and hope to see you at FCT 2017 with 2 flatties. 
Brian

Edited by Bridog - 31 Jan. 2017 at 2:04am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 2:18am
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I'll be watching this build closely!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 9:48am
Sheet metal looks good, so that a good start.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 11:50am
loving the start... i'd be doing well to make it a runner by FCT, let alone mixing and mingling.

Best of luck, guys... looking forward to following along
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 12:00pm
Cool project Brian! I love the way the new Jeep looks right now. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be a great Jeep after seeing your blue one. You made it look easy to do anything in it. Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 9:33pm
Good luck.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 2:23pm
I'm located in Smithville if you need any help!
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2017 at 1:36am
Thanks Dan! I will take you up on your offer to help and PM you with the details once we really get to rolling on it. Brian
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 10:26pm
That's a great project Brian. Keep us updated with lots of progress pics. Look forward to seeing it and all the Evans' at the FCT!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 8:13pm
We managed to disassemble the Jeep while only breaking or having to cut off a few bolts. There are some floor board repairs that will need to be made.

The first step after disassembly was to get a stand fabricated and bolted to the shop floor to keep the frame straight, square, and level while we make some repairs and modifications. The damaged rear crossmember was replaced with a new one fabricated out of 2"x3"x3/16" wall rectangle tubing. The rear crossmember will be complete once we pick up and weld in a receiver hitch into it.

Stay tuned for more. Brian
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 1:49am
We made a little more progress this weekend. A receiver hitch was installed in the rear crossmember finishing it up.

A power steering box was picked up from a friend in our local four wheel drive club. A lot of measurements were taken and templates were made for a mount for the steering box. Pieces of 3/16" steel plate were cut out to box and sandwich the frame horn. Sleeves were made space the plates apart and provide the mounting surface for the steering box. These pieces were fitted up to the frame and welded into place.

Once the steering box mount was complete we turned our attention to fabricating a new front bumper. A piece of 4 inch square tubing was cut lengthwise into two channels. New plates that mount onto the top of the frame to secure the bumper were also fabricated. We bolted all of these together, cleaned the shop up, took some pics, and called it a weekend. Brian
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 4:57am
making good progress. We are anxiously awaiting further updates. And, only 209.30 days left before the FCT!   

My Videos
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:43pm
Nothing too exciting has been taking place on our project during the last couple weeks. We took last weekend off though to do some Jeepin' at Kansas Rocks Recreation Park. We have been cutting out and replacing rusted out floor board panels and channels like nearly everyone else has done that has a project on this forum. These little widgets that hold body panels in place that I learned about by watching other builds on this forum do work good. Hopefully we will get the last of the rust holes repaired this coming week. We are going for the "well used" look for this body so once we get the floor board repaired that should pretty much be the end of the body work for us.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:58pm
Looking good.Really nice job on those hat channels and your steering box mount.      

Giles.

Edited by Gil - 05 Mar. 2017 at 3:02pm
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 12:23am
Nice work! Keep the pics coming.
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 2:20am
Over the last couple of weeks we replaced the rest of the rusty floorboard panels. It seemed like the more we replaced, the more we found that needed to be replaced, but I think we finally got it. The back corners of the tub were caved in pretty good from years of backing into stuff on the farm. We borrowed a friend's porta power and pushed them back out. We then turned our attention to building some roll cage mounts that are going to be tied into the frame. We are using 1/4" thick plates to sandwich the body where a roll cage mount will land on the floorboard. The roll cage will weld onto the top plates and we are tying the bottom plate into the frame. This way we can unbolt and remove the roll cage from the Jeep and also remove the tub from the frame. With the tub placed upside down and level on stands, we set the frame onto it. The mounts under the windshield and the mounts by the tailgate are being tied into the frame with 1.5" x 3/16" wall square tubing. We bent some 3/8" x 3" flat iron and followed the contour of the rear fenders to tie the mounts in behind the front seats. This leaves enough clearance for the rear tires. All six frame mounts are fabricated and tacked together.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 5:55am
Brian, the cage tie-in location to the frame on the front driver's side isn't going to interfere with the clutch pedal travel or cross-member is it?   Early on in my resto, I was going to do the exact same cage tie-in but seems like the driver's side was a pretty tight fit for cage mounts and/or sliders.

RIck

My Videos
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2017 at 3:03am
I do not think the roll cage tie-in will interfere with the brakes or clutch. We are planning on using swinging pedals with (most likely) an external hydraulic slave cylinder to actuate the clutch. We removed the original diamond-shaped plates on the outside of the frame that the crossmember riveted to. New plates were built that were thicker and longer to provide a sturdy mount for both this front tie-in and a new cross member. I am concerned about the clearance inside the frame rails. We have changed our mind on the engine selection and are going to be using a 4.3L. This decision is based primarily on how cheap and simple the already fuel injected 4.3L is versus the costs and complexity of fuel injecting an "odd fire." The 4.3L will be coupled to the T18/Dana 20 (passenger drop) combo we originally planned on using. The 4.3L I am running in our Jeep is backed by an TF999 automatic transmission. This along with a wider frame towards the back of the Jeep , leaves adequate room for the exhaust to fit between the transmission/transfer case and the frame. I have a question for you guys out there running 4.3L's (or V8s) with manual transmissions and stock frames...how did you position the drivetrain and route the exhaust to clear the clutch linkage, transfer case, and front driveshaft? We want to keep the exhaust between the frame rails.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>