Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Build Deadline FCT 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 3:49am
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 3:54am
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 3:41am
Well? Who was close?
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 3:47am
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 10:55am
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 1:19pm
72 lbs 9 oz.  I think one of your mounting plates is heavier than the rest.  Wink
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by baja 4 baja 4 wrote:

Well? Who was close?

Well, Jeff nailed it right out of the gate. 90lbs. Clap 
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 4:41pm
Looks great!....but more than that...I really like that banner above your yellow parts bins!  That'll keep you happy!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 10:26pm
Well looks like the guessing is over and Jeff gets the prize. By the time you folks read this Bridog may have pics of the cage installed in Rojo. Dylan and I  installed it yesterday while Brian was finishing up a "bar" for Grampa's Jeep. Dylan was my "left hand" for me yesterday and got his arm in those places mine would not. 
First he designs it, then he installs it. What i'd call "full service". The cage looks great. We went with a clear coat finish, knowing I could never match Rojo's "unique patina". 
As I write this our goal is that Rojo makes it to the EJS in a couple of weeks. (hopefully with me with it)
Much left to do plus some other details, but fingers are crossed. 
Maybe before EJS I can detail Rojo's "how i got here" and some DNA. 
Will close for now. Looking forward to meeting new friends in small Jeeps!
"See you in the dirt", Fuzz
Fuzz
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 12:33am
Sure hope you make it to EJS!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 7:50pm
Here are a few pics of Rojo's finished cage. -Dylan

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 8:47pm
That’s a fine cage right there.  Great job, Dylan!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 2:19am
Nice enough cage, but it isn't just mounted to sheet metal, is it?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Nice enough cage, but it isn't just mounted to sheet metal, is it?
All six points are to the frame.
Fuzz
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 2:52am
Kinda figured it would be; just checking.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 8:19pm
Thought i would take a few minutes to talk about Rojo. This post is not meant to rehash the specifics of the build but to let you know why and how it ended up like it is. Sue and I have wheeled for quite a few years, and are lucky enough to still pursue that with our whole family. When we hitched a ride to the FCT two years ago we were hooked, and knew we needed another “flat fender”. Our last one was many years past. Brian found the Jeep in Arkansas and he,Dylan and myself picked it up one morning. The trip home was all Jeeps and I soon realized that the Jeep would be ours. Brian asked how I thought the Jeep should be built. I told him I thought a Jeep should be used for what Willys intended them for. Off-road as well as the streets. The body was pretty fair shape, but I as much as I would like to have a “show piece” playing in the dirt and rocks was the direction we would take. We wanted it to look mostly “stock” appearing but be very capable underneath. We also wanted it to drive on the road as smooth as possible. The transmission and transfer case was at one time in Blueberry. The T 18 is a Ford unit. The DANA 20 is Jeep with a mixture of gears. If you find right gear from a Bronco 20 and mix it with some 20 / and 18 gears you get a 2:46 gear set. We thought a 44 rear end and 30 front end should be stout enough for our purpose. A 73 Cj5 rear end and an 83 cj7 front end were  found and readied. A side note here. Rojo was built to run the BHR run as far as width goes. As it sets it just will meet the width maximum. The front end came from a wheelin buddy of ours complete with alloy axles and new everything (brakes, ball joints etc). It was within a 1/2 of the 2a spring mounts. He said the cj7 always drove great and he was right. Rojo drives very easily and straight. We have always used ARB air lockers in our Jeeps. Push a button your locked, push it again your unlocked. Simple seemed best for Rojo. 4:56 gearsets were installed and seem great for Rojo. With 31 inch tires it is very peppy and can still run 60 if you want. That of course is do to no small part of the 4.3 Vortec. The motor was a tow lot motor and sat under a roof for 5 years before we got it. It took a new master injector, new plugs and wires but starts and runs real good. Some day would like to rebuild it, but will have to wait awhile. The wheels were a financial compromise. I get a lot of interesting comments on them. We wanted plain steel white wheels, but couldn’t find them with the proper width and backspacing. And yes they were very reasonable. The tires are Pro Comp MTs, 31 x10.50 x 15. Once again a compromise, but they are really good. They grip the rocks and do well in mud. They also “similar” to the old Goodyear Subarbanite tires. All in all a bit of a “retro look”. We think 33s might be in Rojo’s future. 
Add a little clear coat and off we go. Rojo has been a wonderful project from start to not yet finish. (are they ever really finished?). It came out much as we all had collectively dreamed and continues to be fun for the entire family. Sue and I normally just ride with Molly or Dylan around the home place. And yes that means the back seat for us! Sue and I are blessed because it was a total family project. Everybody did something on it! Last but not least all those Tuesday nights spent with Dylan and watching Brian’s talents come to life made it all worth while. Rojo will continue to change as time goes by but for now we are hoping to enjoy all we can while we can. 
As always “see you on the dirt” Fuzz
Fuzz
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

...We think 33s might be in Rojo’s future....
Where did you find 33" NDTs?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 9:15pm
That cage is really nice,  that is a skill I want to learn, and invest in. I am always envious of guys who can work with tube.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>