Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Build Deadline FCT 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 10:12pm
I like the wheels and tires.  They definitely don't look stock, but they look a lot like what someone might have changed to back in the '70s or so, when a CJ2A would have been a more common starting point for a trail vehicle.  So still retro, just not quite AS retro!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 10:52pm
Yep, that’s kinda what I meant. “Wagon wheels” were very popular in the day. Probably because of the price and there wasn’t much in the way of off road wheels then. Only place I could find the wheels we wanted was Stockton and they are pretty proud of them!    

Fuzz
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 12:23am
Of course, in saying that I like them, I might not be entirely unbiased.  Here's the CJ5 and trailer I had back in '96.

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 2:14am
Rojo is a super little rig!  I got to ride in and drive Rojo briefly while we were in Moab.  That jeep is a spoiler!  Rojo has nice soft suspension, power steering, looow gears, and plenty of power.  Yep, it pretty much spoiled me.  I’m not installing a v6 or anything like that, but I am thinking hard about hooking up my power steering (yes, Ward.. blah, blah, blah), working out the bugs in my springs, and a installing a different front axle setup.  Ahh, the Willys projects are never complete😁

Looking forward to watching Rojo’s changes.  Keep up the good work.👍🏻
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
JeepN95YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepN95YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 2:07pm
Watching the latest videos of Sand Hollow, I had to look up this thread on Rojo.

It works great and I would have sworn it had an automatic when I watched it climb.  very nice jeep!
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 3:38am

JeepN95Y, glad you like Rojo. Thanks for the kind words. You've probably already read the "build thread" so just let me say Rojo works pretty well. It has been to Kansas, Colorado and Moab since being built. We "spun" a rod bearing on one of the dunes in Sand Hollow so it's trip was a little shorter than the rest. 
It's back running now and hopefully heading for Rush springs at the end of April. 
More changes are in it's future so if and when those will be "tracked" here on the page. 

Thanks again Fuzz
Fuzz
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 4:50am
Snave, you're now included among my 2APage 'Engineering and Fabrication Heroes--along with Chug-a-Lug Mark, Jpet, and "TDI Diesel/4-Speed" Falcon.

Really nice professional-quality, stout mods on Rojo. I was knocked out by how clean that tub was. Thanks for sharing.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 2:50am
Luzon, more kind words. Rojo will get the "big head"! Seriously thank you, it was a "whirlwind work of passion". 227 days sounds like a lot but trust us it ain't! I wish I could take credit for all the engineering and fine craftsmanship, but that would go to Brian (Bridog) our oldest son. He has that what I consider to be rare ability to be "booksmart" and then can apply to his hands. I mostly held things while he tacked them. I'm become a top notch grinder though. Lol. Thank god he took after his mom! 
Rojo was built to be and in our world is a capable but modest trail Jeep. Sue and I are enjoying it so much.
Hopefully we all can wheel  together someday, until then. 

Fuzz and Sue
Fuzz
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:11am
How do you have the spare tire mounted on the back of the jeep?

Mark
1946 CJ2A
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:18pm
Mark, thanks for the question. If you'll look on page one you will see the new rear bumper with a receiver hitch built in. The plate above the hitch has 4 bolt holes as to match the original. We bolted a 1/4 inch plate to it and ran 1 1/4 square tube with a 1/4 inch wall up from there. Like tubing ties (with ears) the two tailgate latch holes and is bolted tight. More tube stands "out" with a plate the rim mounts  to. The rim mounting is reinforced from below at an angle. 
I would like to have had a fold down tailgate but that would take some major reinforcement on the passenger side bumper. 
The mount seems quite strong and has withstood some serious (?) wheeling. 
Maybe I can get Delmo to post some pics for G pa.  

Thanks again Fuzz
Fuzz
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:57pm
Fuzz, I was wondering if you could post a picture of the tire mount without the tire on it?
Mark
1946 CJ2A
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:36pm
Mark i'll work on that. Get my "tech guy" on it.
Fuzz
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 3:15am
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:33pm
Hey Bridog.  Thanks for the pictures. I just want to mount my spare tire on the back too and I want to do it very easily.  Thanks again, Mark.
Mark
1946 CJ2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:35pm
Fuzz, this is a really nice jeep.  I have a very tired cj-3a and I hope to borrow many of the great ideas for it!  Somehow I don't think my fab work will look as nice though.  

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456