Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2A disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmcmillan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-2A disc brake conversion
    Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 1:14am
I am considering a disc brake conversion.  Does anyone have any info on kits available?  Does it require a new type of master cylinder?
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 2:49am
Check out Herm the overdrive guy. I bought his front disc rear drum conversion it workes great also I think I saw a dual mast. Cyl. With remote res. here on he 2a page. It looks like a really nice setup.
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 3:15am
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 2:24pm
A number of route to go.

What I did was close to this:

Should also be some threads on this at Early CJ5 if they didn't go away with the server switch.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 2:28pm
I don't really see any reason not to go 4 wheel discs? 

My conversion used 1995(ish) Geo Tracker / Suzuki Sidekick parts. The rotors can slip over the bearing hub just like the stock drum. I built a bracket to adapt the track/kick floating brake bracket to the 6-bolt Willys/Jeep spindle pattern. 

Here is the rear install with my full float conversion. It should also work on the stock style rear axle. 

The only pain in the rear is that you need to convert to a metric fitting somewhere in the brake system. The calipers use a 10mm banjo fitting. I used 1985 honda accord front brake lines for soft lines all the way around and converted at the hard line on the frame. My Willys is plumbed in an-3 brakes lines so it was pretty easy. 

I have a hanging pedal conversion and used a 1975 monza manual brake master cylinder. It was the best match I could find for the track/kick calipers with there smaller pistons. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 2:57pm
True on the four wheel discs metcalf... I was assuming he was doing a little by little deal one axle at a time... which in hindsight with the right tools, materials, and parts could be done in a weekend for both
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 3:01pm
Nice Job, I'm impressed!!! I guess I was looking for a "No Brains " approach.  Well DoneClap Sandusky
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 3:18pm
Some more pictures.....pictures are good....

Here is my prototype bracket that I hand made. I made a revision after this and then had the brackets waterjet cut out of 1/4" cold roll plate. The bracket basically bolts onto the stock spindle bolts and adapts to the track/kick caliper bracket. You can buy loaded calipers with the stock bracket fully rebuilt from just about any parts house. 

Here you can see one of the final waterjet cut brackets on the rear axle with the full float conversion. 

This is one of the nicest bonus features of slip on rotors. Pull the two caliper bolts and stick the caliper on the leaf spring. Pull the 6 nuts off the spindle bolts. Take the snap ring off the end of the stub axle. Then you can pull the entire spindle and bearing hub as one unit without having to touch the spindle nuts retaining the wheel bearings. 

Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 6:08pm
you happen to have a print on that bracket?... you might have the makings of the next go to conversion on your hands
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2013 at 6:54pm
I have a dxf/dwg file if you want it. PM me your email if that would work. I will give it out on the condition that you can't sell it or pass it out. All liability is released, not liable, it might not work for you, and your generally on your own to sort out the little stuff. 

I designed the bracket to use a small machined spacer between the factory track/kick brake bracket and my bracket to help deal with the position of the wheel bearing hub. These will have to be fabricated to a different length for different installs. The factory brake bracket can take up some side to side movement since it is a floating design, but the spacer lines that bracket up in the middle of its travel. By keeping the bracket slightly thinner you can use the stock spindle bolts in most applications.

CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2013 at 12:51am
Metcalf did a nice job on this, He helped me out with a print so I can do the same setup.  Mine will be with the same axles as his also, The dana30 and dana44. Vary nice guy!  After all the research I have done on it I feel as if his design is best. In my opinion. All four corners be that same.. nice!  One thing is having the machined parts made up. I happen to be a machinist so cost of doing that work is nothing for me, But unsure what it might cost you to have the adapters made up/ brackets. I looked up that parts he used for discs and calipers. They are vary reasonable on price. and like he said everything you can pickup at local parts store.

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2013 at 1:52pm
If you guys are both need the brake caliper mounts just upload the file to bigbluesaw.com and get them waterjet cut. I did mine that way and it was only about $30 a bracket when buy 5+. You still have to make the spacers but that is pretty easy. 

The calipers and rotors are very affordable. I bought mine at rockauto.com 

The only pain the the rear was the brake lines. You will have to adapt to metric somewhere. 

CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2013 at 10:06pm
Wow that is decently priced. I might just go that route. Thanks
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2013 at 10:52pm
If anyone is going to take metcalf up on the offer to upload and water jet cut the brackets, there may be some interest here to have a larger quantity
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2013 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

If anyone is going to take metcalf up on the offer to upload and water jet cut the brackets, there may be some interest here to have a larger quantity

I'll let that up to him.. I personally wasn't going to order any yet but if their is a large amount made that would probably get the price down. So i'll go a head if that is the case.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2013 at 12:01am
Do you think this disc brake set up will work with standard 16X4.5 Willys wheels?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2013 at 2:20am
probably So... the geo tracker these parts come from uses 15" rims
mdmcmillan88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmcmillan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2013 at 6:08pm
I am interested in getting four of the brackets.  Please give me a call.
Mike 907-980-1405
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>