Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2A disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmcmillan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2013 at 6:28pm
Hi Mr. Metcalf,
I am interested in getting four of the custom brackets.  Could you please give me a call so we can coordinate the process?
Thanks
Mike 907-980-1405
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Do you think this disc brake set up will work with standard 16X4.5 Willys wheels?

I cannot say for sure. I have 15" wheels on my axles and everything clears just fine. 

Wheel backspacing will be a factor at some point, not only with the caliper, but with the brake line.

I would think the only wheels that might have issues are the combat style rims because of the different shape of the wheel shells. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2013 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by mdmcmillan88 mdmcmillan88 wrote:

Hi Mr. Metcalf,
I am interested in getting four of the custom brackets.  Could you please give me a call so we can coordinate the process?
Thanks
Mike 907-980-1405

I sent you an PM in response to yours. 

I do not sell these brackets. I have offered up a computer file of the bracket for those who where interested in tackling a similar conversion. This isn't a totally bolt on simple deal....

1- You need to make a small spacer ( like a thick washer ) that goes between the fabricated bracket at the track/kick brake bracket to tune the position of the caliper mount. It has a factory floating conversion but its final position need to be tuned for sight differences in where the wheel bearing hub sits.....because of spindle wear, bearing wear, and bearing preload. 

2- The rotors need the holes for the mounting pattern opened up slightly. I need to look for the specific drill size. 

3- You need a brake line that will convert from a 10mm banjo fitting. I'm not super familiar with the stock willys brake line setup, mine was long gone. I used 1985 Honda Accord front brake lines and converted from metric to an-3 at the frame mount. 

4- I have no idea what master cylinder setup will work for all installs. I used a 1975 Chevy Monza manual brake master cylinder which is 3/4" bore. That worked out very well for my handing pedal conversion with these calipers. 

5- I am sure I am forgetting a few things....

I'm more than open to helping people with the conversion but I am not interested in selling anything as a bolt on simple conversion.
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

charlie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:18pm
I am interested in four of the brackets or drawings. Will they work for the DANA 23 and DANA 27 axles? My email address is pkozak1@rochester.rr.com
jaysinet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaysinet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 4:18am
Can anyone send me the bracket file. I have a shop locally that will cut them for me, and have zero brakes (pedal to floor without stopping) on my new to me 46 cj2a. Can't drive it and want to run disc brakes. this would be for my use only and would never dream of selling or the like. Thanks. Jay
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 2:12pm
PM sent
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 4:18pm
I just visited Stev yesterday and was able to drive his jeep with the disc brake conversion, and let me say "wow".  It is night and day stopping compared to my drums and my drums aren't that bad. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 1:05am
FYI - I have been using 3/8 inch steel plates for the brake conversion brackets.  There is some discussion about using 1/4 inch plates.  I have no experience with using 1/4" brackets.  I am going to keep making them out of 3/8" for my other jeep projects.  

5/23/2017 - I understand some people are now even making them out of 1/2" Plate Steel.

Be Safe Out There.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 24 May 2017 at 2:36am
Stev
arndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:13pm
Are these for front and rear?  Is the file still available?

This looks like the cheapest route to go, thank you for the information

arndog
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:56pm
The adapter brackets are for the front knuckles and rear axle housing flange where the backer plate goes for drum set up. I have the Geo tracker conversion on the front of my jeep and I love it. I even used the Geo tracker front flexible brake lines.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:15am
I have discs in my jeep and love them. I went with a prefab kit before they got silly expensive. I would go with the geo tracker version as some of the other versions use brake discs that are too large and have for such a small vehicle.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:27pm
I have discs in my jeep and love them. I went with a prefab kit before they got silly expensive. I would go with the geo tracker version as some of the other versions use brake discs that are too large and have for such a small vehicle.
KCJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 3:52am
Any chance of getting that file?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 3:58am
PM sent
Stev
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 5:08am
My brackets are 1/2"
nwacj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwacj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2017 at 2:39pm
I would also appreciate the file. Thanks
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2017 at 3:16pm
Here's a jpg

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 19 Dec. 2017 at 4:25am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2017 at 4:31pm
The file for the 3/8" plate steel is different than the one above.

I will to figure out how to post it. But the big difference is the width of the plate is larger than the one in the drawing above.

Edited by Stev - 18 Dec. 2017 at 4:34pm
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>