Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Firetruck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bimure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Firetruck
    Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 2:31am
I am new to the CJ2A jeep. In fact I have never seen one till 4 months ago. My experteze is the early Ford Mustang which I have been restoring for over 20 years. I have been asked by the local fire department to restore their 47 CJ2A jeep firetruck. Big smile The down side is it came to me totally disassembledCry I do consider myself a way above average mechanic with 30 years as a aircraft and jet engine mechanic and have been building and racing the Ford Mustangs since age 16. I do have some good reference manuals that are a great help  but being a restorer I strive to do better than just put it back together. I will need help with does and don'ts along with knowledge you only get doing the work. I have restored over 50 Mustangs with many being top show winners as well as several being sold for top dollar by their owners. I intend on doing as fine a job on this restoration. Who is the best source for original or high quality reproduction parts? Are there any services available to restore components ? What are the better company's to deal with? These are just a few of my questions.
sbfman
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 2:44am
Walcks for the usual new parts, there are other suppliers too.  Used stuff by advertising here for wanted items , as well as Harry Sheets  from Midwest Willys.  Hillbilly and Tony here have a decent amount of used stuff at good prices.. ... Herm the Overdrive guy for tranny and transfer case stuff,  Scoutpilot here on the page for carburetor work, etc.  Watch out for imported parts being poorly made. Especially rubber pieces and internal tranny parts. MD Juan supplies most of the sheetmetal repair parts everyone sells, if they are from overseas they are probably made in the Philipines. Check the Tub rebuilding thread for more ideas on that part of your project.

Is it a Howe fire jeep? Ther are a few folks that own them around here and the 3A page and 3B page.
Check the FAQ threads for some posts on the correct colors for each part. Don't be tempted to chrome everything. The research you do will make or break the project.. and you are at the best place on the web for 2A research.

Probably the best start would be to take a bunch of pictures and post them so the experts can take a peek and give you some thoughts on the originality of what ya have.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 2:47am
welcome.....

is there a dash plate signifying either Howe or Boyer?

pics?
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 3:14am
good luck on the project! 

Short answer, which sounds arrogant, but is not--it's simply, TRUE!

WE ARE!

Here you'll not only find out what to do, but what not to do, because most of us have done it all and love nothing better that to share our experience and learning with other like minded people. 

I'd be willing to wager you can't possibly make a mistake that someone here has not already made, and is more than willing to admit and share with you.  No egos here, just dedication to bringing jeeps back to life.

del clear [not the most knowledgeable, but, perhaps, the oldest] 

I knew nothing when I started, and was able to do a frame-off that suited me just fine with all the help I got here.  I didn't go "inside" the motor or tranny, or differentials,  but if I had, someone here would have taken me by the hand.  I did rebuild the front "knuckles", the steering system, the front axles, the drive lines, and  the brakes, however, as well as completely disassemble the body to get at incipient rust issues, which fortunately were not advanced.  You simply can't go wrong here!
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 11:00am
Often I've found that the vehicles owned by fire departments are a.) well maintained over the years and b.) generally tend not to have excessive use - or often, even much use at all. Those factors should work greatly in your favor on this reassembly Smile

There are many good references and parts sources out there and it sounds as though you are getting started the right way with asking questions and doing lots of reading.

Sounds like it may be a welcome break/change from the Mustang run! Enjoy -
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 11:34am
PICTURES, please. Thanks.
1952henry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1952henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2013 at 7:04pm
I agree with Scoutpilot.  Pictures would be nice.  Always like seeing those Jeep firetrucks.
FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2013 at 12:34am
Years ago (read over 25 years ago) I was offered a CJ2A fire jeep that was built for a company as a plant fire truck. The jeep was stretched and held a ladder on the side. I still have a photo of the jeep some where, but have not way of posting it when I find it. I had to turn the jeep down as I was still an active duty Marine, and just had no room for it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
bimure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bimure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2013 at 2:51am
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures except some of the parts . I have never seen it in one piece so really don't know what it looks like. I have seen pictures of some on the net. This one is a Howe conversion and was built in 47. I just got the frame back from the paint shop. I am going thru the axels changing seals and gaskets they look really good on the inside very clean and the gears and bearings look great. Unfortunately the engine is not in good shape. Someone left it sit out in the weather without a air cleaner and water got in #4 cylinder and rusted pretty bad. I was able to break it loose but the cylinder does not look good at all. I am hope to be able to sleeve that one cylinder because the others are at standard bore and the piston cleaned up and is in good shape. The drive train only has 4200mi on it! I will try to post photos as I go with this and really would appreciate opinions , suggestions and advice as I go.  
sbfman
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2013 at 3:22am
This is my fire command jeep.  It was built for the USFS.  
There is also a fire jeep at the Elko, NV airport in the lobby.

Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
kubel353 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kubel353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 8:14pm
Greetings all!!!

Referring to the Ansul Fire Jeep at the Elko, NV airport in the lobby? Does anyone know if it is still located there? Does it belong to the Elko Fire Department? 

Also, does anyone have any information on the 1962 CJ-3B Ansul Jeep that was in Pennsylvania that sold in 2004?

They appear to be the same model Jeep and I am trying to do some research on replicating the exact vehicle. Like where were they made and are they still in business?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Matt 
 Post Reply Post Reply