Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A floor pan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A floor pan
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 2:07am
Our CJ2A has a bit of cancer on the floor pan and the floor braces underneath are half eaten up. 2 Floor braces ($300) plus the labor to replace half the floor pan with sheet metal, weld, etc will probably run $1K at least. K-W and Walck's both sell a complete floor pan including the floor braces for $750 with Walck's throwing in free shipping. Anyone have any experience with either vendor's floor pans regarding fit and finish? The catalog photos are not definitive.
Ron
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 3:49am
Ron,
   Tiny (Wellington) and I put a new complete floor pan in his CJ2-A when we built it. I'm not sure where he got it from, but it went in pretty well. It was definitely the way to go for that one. It goes all the way up to the pinch weld where the toeboard meets the firewall. We separated them at that joint, and the new floor did not match up with the firewall real well, we had to massage both parts a bit to get it together. I think if I was to do another one I would cut both the old and the new a little below there where I could deal with mostly a straight line across a flat surface.
  If you'd like, PM me your phone number and I'll forward it to Tiny and see if he would give you a call. Or, Confused  PM Tiny and ask him to give you a call.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 4:15am
You can also check out Classic Enterprises if you want USA Made sheet metal parts they do the floor and hat channels

Hat channels are $90 a side and the flat floor sections (you have to cut around the tunnel and just up the toe boards a bit. are just $70.00 a side.

so for $320 in new USA made pieces you can replace your floor.

If you need to replace the Joiner section of the hat channel (where it passes under the tunnel you have to add another $35.00

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 5:36am
I built my own and welded them in. It depends on your tools and skill. Don't put your hand down where you just got done welding.
uncamonkey
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 3:29pm
I'll bet the available floors aren't any different from the one I used.  The gauge is thinner than original and the hat channels had wood inside. 

I neither had the tools nor the skill so had to hire it out.  The floor I used was the only one available; the hump creases were too sharp and the transmission cover hardware was wrong.  But needing a hump, I had little choice (I'd already gone the route of requesting a hump section from PanelsPlus - when Sheldon Green was still cranking out parts).  That didn't work either.

I believe the floor will be braced well enough that the thinner gauge won't be an issue but didn't like the hat channels that came with the floor.  I opted for heavier hat channels from Classic Enterprise.  I had to change out one crush sleeve for a captured nut under the fuel tank and also elected to cut aft of the toe-board/floor seam, around the side step mount holes and around the transmission cover hole to preserve all the factory holes. 

I did have to add the captured nuts for the seat and tank strap. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply