Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Member Locator Addition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Member Locator Addition
    Posted: 05 Mar. 2013 at 8:12pm
Understanding I probably don't have the permissions to do so myself, I think it would be a neat addition to the site if there was a way to input your zip code and have a map pop up that shows where the nearest member is located.  It would be up to the member whether or not they wanted to supply their address.  I would happily maintain the list of addresses.

I have this envisioned as a sticky at the top of a thread.  I would use that thread to explain how the locator works and to provide instructions on how to have an address added and/or removed from the map.

Anyway, below is the code to make the above possible.   Take a look and let me know your thoughts.   I've already created the map and provided my address as an example. 

To search for the nearest member in your location enter your zip code:

<form action="http://www.batchgeo.com/map/"> <input type="hidden" name="i" value="fdb1fcb72303fcd2ac7e94887646f55b"> <label>Search for nearest member<input type="text" name="q" value=""></label> <input type="submit" value="Search"></form>

Here is a link to the map for a quicker reference instead of using the above code.  

Edited by Rabid_Squirrel - 05 Mar. 2013 at 9:31pm
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2013 at 8:27pm
I don't think I'd want my address all over the web, as not only jeep guys read these postings. Call me paranoid. Better safe than sorry. If someone wants my address let me decide if I will give it to them. Too many kooks and theives out there and I have heard stories on jeep websites about things coming up missing. There are those out there who are not beyond stealing to get a rare or valuable part. (And then there are scrap theives, but that is another kettle of stinkfish.)

We at one time had a map on the main page but I think whoever hosted it or the spoftware to run it got outdated.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Rabid_Squirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2013 at 8:35pm
Yep - I totally understand that and is why I said It would be up to the member whether or not they wanted to supply their address. 

The map could be altered to show a general area instead of a specific address.  Food for thought...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

We at one time had a map on the main page but I think whoever hosted it or the spoftware to run it got outdated.

This spawned me to go look at the main page (I never go there) and I found a CJ2A Locator where people have listed where they are located.  I could use that list as my base if there is indeed interest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2013 at 9:32pm
I went ahead and grabbed the addresses on the front page and added them to the map.  There may be some missing as I only grabbed the ones I could easily parse through.

Click Here
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2013 at 1:54am
I like that. I agree with F.  Bill that it should not show the address but the city would be OK.   I can see mine needs up dating.  Also a link for a PM would cool tool. That way If you were traveling in a area you could PM a Member in that area and have a Meet and Greet. Problem is that locater is way out of date and many are not even on there and I am sure some that are on there are not active anymore.   Just my cents worth.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2013 at 2:51am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Problem is that locater is way out of date and many are not even on there and I am sure some that are on there are not active anymore.   Just my cents worth.

Ya, I agree.  We would have to decide whether we wanted to start over with all new data, or just update/add to the existing list.

Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Also a link for a PM would cool tool. That way If you were traveling in a area you could PM a Member in that area and have a Meet and Greet.

Great idea.  I updated my pin with a link to PM me.  Check it out (I am in Mechanicsburg PA.  You can search for 17055 in the top right corner of the map)  The only "problem" is that this link does not work unless you are already logged into the site.  Which, if you are viewing the map, you probably already are...  Just an observation.
 Post Reply Post Reply