Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cj2a pedal above transmission tunnel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner_Eggert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cj2a pedal above transmission tunnel
    Posted: 04 July 2018 at 5:11pm
I recently picked up a  jeep as a project and am wondering what this odd pedal does, it isn't connected to anything
wyocj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyocj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 5:57pm
Conner-It's hard from your photo to know what we're looking at, much less to figure out what that thing is. Are you sure it's a pedal, and not a breather of some kind, or a greaser? I bet with a couple more photos to help orient ourselves, someone will tell you exactly what it is. I know I'm curious...not much help, I know.
Larry
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 6:14pm
 It looks like the push rod used to start the Willys, but I don't think it's in the original position.  Hard to tell from the photo angle.

Edited by athawk11 - 04 July 2018 at 6:16pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 6:35pm
Starter Heel Rest not in orig position??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

It looks like the push rod used to start the Willys, but I don't think it's in the original position.  Hard to tell from the photo angle.

Has the jeep been altered to key start? Mebbe that's why it don't do nuthin?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 6:42pm
The picture is sideways...it is the toe starter switch....notice the gas pedal horizontal across the bottom fo the picture...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Conner_Eggert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner_Eggert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 7:05pm
Yes, it is sideways. What was it for and how was it hooked Up? It has not been converted to key ignition yet, but there is a foot button next to the clutch pedal. I have a bunch that it is the summer for the lights but can't be sure. 
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 7:26pm
The button/ switch next to the clutch is the headlight dimmer switch. The one in the picture is the starter switch. You turn on the ignition switch them push the toe switch to engage the starter.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 8:07pm
That is a modified original hole CJ-2A button start that bubba turned into a push type CJ-3A overrunning clutch starter system. The CJ-3A push rod was mounted on the firewall, not on the transmission cover.
willys jeep
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 8:11pm
I should have said transmission floor tunnel.
willys jeep
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 10:51pm
Here is a photo of a CJ3A starter.  It should help you understand why we are somewhat confused by it.  I'm a 3A guy, thus my answer that it is a push rod to start the Willys. But I was also confused by its position.  A 3A push rod starter won't work in a 2A without modification.  

My guess is someone at some point attempted to install a 3A starter in your 2A...and failed.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner_Eggert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 10:52pm
hmmm.... Confused should I hook it Up? I don't really see a linkage for it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner_Eggert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 10:55pm
That makes sense. The engine that is in it is an f head from what I assume was a 3b. They may have tried to modify it to fit into the 2a, but I could be wrong. They ended up just using a solenoid to turn the starter over. I appreciate the help! Also, it could very well be a 3a, I wouldn't know the difference. Actually, come to think of it I don't know if a 3a had bow holders like mine does. Food for thought I guess. 
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 8:58pm
I actually have the same setup.  A 2A with a pushrod starter from a 3A.  In this case, what ignition switch should I be running?  A switch with Off/Run  or Off/Run/Start?  Sorry for the pedestrian language here.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:20am
Off/Run is enough for a pushrod starter, if it turns the engine over.  Just don't forget to turn the ignition switch to "Run" when cranking.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 1:42pm
That's what I figured.  I'll probably buy a Off/Run/Start switch (4 pole starter switch) from Napa and not hook up the "Start" pole.  Let's see if that works.  Otherwise, I'll have to turn the key to "Start", then push the floor pushrod, then when it's running, turn the key to "Run".  

How's that for an anti-theft device?
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:32pm
Conner, You might want to sort out some of that wiring hanging around loose before you hook up a battery.  Lots of opportunity for sparks there!

Suggest you isolate the starting and ignition circuits and disconnect whatever else is there to sort out later.  At the big box home stores in the electrical section you can buy a pad of self-adhesive wire number labels.  Before you start unpluggin' stuff you can label the two sides of the connection with a matching number.  May help later.

You mentioned you have an F head engine and a CJ2a in the same sentence.  That is the OHV version, not the flattie.  Do you also have  the tall hood?  Or, you may have a Bitsa jeep  put together from bits of other Jeeps.  Put a couple of wide angle photos of your new acquisition on the forum, and this bunch will have you sorted out in a flash.  Then get, or download, the appropriate Jeep Universal Parts List and Service Manual - invaluable in a project like this! And this forum is your friend....

You've got lots of fun (and frustration) ahead of you.  Welcome to the fraternity.
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2018 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Otherwise, I'll have to turn the key to "Start", then push the floor pushrod, then when it's running, turn the key to "Run". 

You would just turn the key to "run" and push the pushrod.  "Start" would not do anything and would definitely thwart any would-be thief who doesn't know about floor start buttons.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply