Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CJ2A  product review section?  I think we need it!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A product review section? I think we need it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A product review section? I think we need it!
    Posted: 15 Feb. 2011 at 9:44pm
Hello,

I have been meaning to bring this topic up before, but after getting some disappointing parts in the mail lately, I was really driven to mention this. 

I can't tell you how valuable I find honest consumer reviews, and I want to hear the good and the bad about reproduction CJ2A parts!  Sean's review, a while back, about the "FUBAR" pre-bent brake line kits for the CJ2A, is an excellent example of a thorough, and honest review, that fortunately saved me from making an expensive mistake when I considered purchasing this kit.

I want to make it clear that I do not wish to bash or slander any of our parts vendors.  I have been helped out favorably by many of them, as I am sure that you folks have, BUT... they all seem to carry a few items that are simply disappointing.  I feel that we need a place that we can get reports and reviews of what parts the vendors carry, with items rated in terms of both functionality, and how well the parts compare to the original parts.  This would very important to me, as I have very little money to spend on my jeep, yet when necessity dictates that I have to actually buy some replacement part, I would love to spare myself the disappointment and frustration that comes with receiving a substandard or misfit part. 

As an example, the order of parts I received last week was a small order if little parts, steering bushings, gaskets, etc., HALF of the items were substandard and I will NOT be using them, these items were listed on the vendor's site as NOS, but they were not.  It is incidents like this, that most of us may be able to relate to, yet if we know ahead of time about the parts stocked at certain vendors, the situations may be able to be avoided all together.

It would be great to see a review section that was organized like our parts list for easy reference, I know I would be an active contributor.  Perhaps I am just too picky, but I have a long list of parts that I would love to review. 

There may be an added benefit to a reproduction parts review section... perhaps our vendors will take note, and use it as a tool to gauge the desirability of the products they offer.  Forgive me as I break into my "dream speech" here, but maybe our voice in the form of a parts review section, can actually help drive the reproduction parts market, instead of it being solely driven by the cheapest method of manufacture or cheapest materials.  After all, unless we start complaining about these parts, and stop purchasing the parts that do not work or fit well anyway, the manufacturers have very little motivation to quit watering down the whiskey, so to speak.

OK...I am off my soapbox for the moment, and headed back out to the garage to install some good parts that came in today's mail, that are replacing the junk that arrived in last week's mail!!!

Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 15 Feb. 2011 at 10:23pm
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2011 at 9:50pm
I agree we need this.  Maybe use a 1-4 star rating & a brief explaination,...Great idea as
I too am not fond of waisting money on junk.
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2011 at 10:18pm
I believe you have a great idea. This is the kind of thing that at the end of the day drives the market to better quality. Vendors DO notice and they WILL respond to negative feedback, Maybe this could somehow be part of the "parts project" ?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

metalshaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalshaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2011 at 10:41pm

This is a great thread, I have been waiting for something like this for a while.  Some of you may know me, some of you may not.  Brian here, former shop name Brian's 4wd Parts, LLC in Branford, CT.   I think I have sold, installed, or junked just about every single part out there.  I have recently closed the company and moved out to the country to work on very specific projects now.  If anybody would like an assement of any part out there  I would be happy to provide an honest description.  I have sold it all, Crown, Omix, etc......  and know first hand how things work as I do the install as well.   Having restored many, many, old willys I speak from direct experience.   Good luck to everyone on their projects.  You can always reach me at metalshaper@comcast.net 

Brian
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by GaryArf GaryArf wrote:

... Maybe this could somehow be part of the "parts project" ?

Perhaps,... but I think the parts project is turning out excellent just as it is, I would hate to cloud or confuse that section with new parts info and review stuff. 

HOWEVER, I like the way you are thinking, and I really like the way the parts project is set up into parts group categories.  I think a foum section set up just like that one, but only for reproduction part reviews, would be excellent.  I had some thoughts last night that we could also include mechanical service shop reviews in the same section.  For example, someone recently mentioned an excellent radiator restoration shop in Wisconsin.  It may help save a lot of time if we did not have to search through the regular forum postings for the same information.

Daniel
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2011 at 3:07pm
Quote CJ2A product review section? I think we need it!
Sounds like a good idea to me!  We've sorta discussed this issue before (long time ago), with an eye towards adding the comments to parts list entries, and that's still appropriate.

But an independent list, with known good or bad parts & sources would be real nice!  I've got about a half dozen to add to the list already.

Sean
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2011 at 8:04pm
A product review section would be a great idea.
jwitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 2:31am
Great idea.  I have mostly gotten good stuff, but there have been a few clinkers.  It would have been nice to look up good suppliers for those.  I am grateful for the number of fair-dealing suppliers for these old Jeeps, but every line of parts has its weaknesses.

I could do a few reviews myself.

John
Free men are not equal, equal men are not free -- Jerry Pournelle

48 CJ2A
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 10:39am

WELL...RUSSNJ WILL BE READING THIS AND I AM SURE HE WILL MAKE THE RIGHT MOVE ON THIS ONE....AS I AGREE WOULD MAKE THINGS A LITTLE EASIER ONLY BUYING THE GOOD STUFF AND SAVING TIME AND $$ SENDING BACK THE GARBAGE...Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 12:32pm
Having spent hundreds of dollars on parts that would not fit my tub without extensive alterations, I welcome a method to avoid such foolishness! However; Caution; It's one thing to voice an opinion in a forum and another to set ourselves (CJ2A Page) up as an authority opening the door to libel.

regor
46CJ2AVEC

"You can fool some of the people some of the time,
But; not all of the people all of the time"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 12:35pm
A new section where we could post our opinions, positive and negative, about purchased parts for our Jeeps would be great.   I like the idea of organizing it similar to the Parts List, but I'd omit the detailed list of Sub Forums that is included below the Parts List forum on the Forum Home page because I think it invites newbies to post their questions about whatever in the wrong section.  This is the list I'm referring to:

Sub Forum(s): Body Group, Brakes, Bumpers, Cooling System, Clutch, Electrical Group, Engine Group, Exhaust System, Fenders, Frame, Front Axle, Fuel System, Hood, Instruments, Muffler, Paint, Propeller Shaft, Rear Axle, Shock Absorbers, Special Equipment and Accessories, Springs, Steering, Tools, Transfer Case, Transmission, Wheels, Non-Willys Accessories

I would still decompose the review section the same way - just not provide those links at the top forum page where newbies could see it and jump to both the wrong conclusion and the wrong place to post their questions!

Edited by samcj2a - 17 Feb. 2011 at 12:36pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by regor regor wrote:

Having spent hundreds of dollars on parts that would not fit my tub without extensive alterations, I welcome a method to avoid such foolishness! However; Caution; It's one thing to voice an opinion in a forum and another to set ourselves (CJ2A Page) up as an authority opening the door to libel.   . . . .   
Roger, that is a legitimate concern, but not one that should stop this initiative.  As with all of the posts here, each review would be subject to review, both by all assembled, but particularly by Russ and the forum moderators who can unilaterally edit or hide objectionable items.

Edit: There are already plenty of widely varying opinions about parts here as well as opinions about many other topics!  the value of the review section is that it would be much, much easier to find the parts opinions.  As we get more and more information assembled here, it gets increasingly difficult for relative newcomers to locate things that they don't already know are here.  For those who have been around the longest and have mastered the subtleties of the Search function, it is much easier because they have a better idea of which search terms to use and where to look if they must search multiple times because of the annoying 100 result default search limit that does not always get manually set to higher value with each new forum software release.

Edited by samcj2a - 17 Feb. 2011 at 12:50pm
Sam

Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 1:55pm
I like the idea. However it should be kept to naming the manufacturer of the part and not the vendor who supplied it. Because the parts that a vendor carries is not static.

This comes up all the time. One guy calls part A from XYZ vendor junk and another member or two will come on and say that used to be true but they switched to a supplier here in the U.S. and they are much better.
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 2:25pm
I think its a great idea for product review to all those looking for answers.  I do agree with Scott in that I wouldn't want to see it become a bad mouth rant of a particular vendor who merely sells the parts.  That could prove to be a fine line in product reviews because we buy the part, but we also buy the part from a particular vendor because of the service we recieve...in our minds those two things...quality and service...are not easily seperated.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 2:38pm
I would like to see both vender and manufactuer listed and the quality of material used as well as how correct the item looks to the original.  I don't want much do I? LOL
   JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I would like to see both vender and manufactuer listed and the quality of material used as well as how correct the item looks to the original.  I don't want much do I? LOL
   JIM
I think it is reasonable to comment on vendor as well as the products themselves.  If a vendor makes it difficult or expensive to return a DOA product, wouldn't we want to know that.  As long as the comments are respectful, then I think people should be able to say what they think.  If someone goes too far, it can be dealt with.  Also, vendors will change whose parts they carry over time as long as there are multiple OEMs.  We can sort that out when it happens.  The most important thing is for Russ to buy into this idea so the new section can be added.  As long as proper decorum prevails, I don't think we want to try to have too many rules. 

Russ!!! What do you say?  Big smile
Sam

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 6:30pm
If you put this in the "parts project" which is what we are talking about here "parts" maybe it could be set up kinda like the sub heading like FAQ is in the tech section...In other words a person can go look at the original part, find out what has been learned of that original part, then go to the subheading and find out what is available and who has what and how close it is to original... Maybe even compair them side by side..
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

As long as proper decorum prevails, I don't think we want to try to have too many rules. 

LOL LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>