Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CJ2A  product review section?  I think we need it!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A product review section? I think we need it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

As long as proper decorum prevails, I don't think we want to try to have too many rules. 

LOL LOL

Well, considering some of the membership here (you know who you are Wink ), I guess the idea of the coexistence of "proper decorum" and not "too many rules" is laughable!
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by ricco79 ricco79 wrote:

...  I do agree with Scott in that I wouldn't want to see it become a bad mouth rant of a particular vendor who merely sells the parts...

No, as I mentioned in the first post, that is not the intentions of the proposed review section to slander or badmouth vendors.  And, I don't believe we have to worry about the most of the vendors out there.  There are many that are dedicated to constantly improving their offerings. 

There are a lot of ethics issues involved here, but that is why I ask for honest and thoughtful reviews.  Reviews are not the place to act out a vendetta, or carry on a grudge about a particular vendor.  Simple honesty and knowlege in the reviews themselves will be enough to get our point across.  That point being that we want to know who sells what parts, and which parts are of notable, or of despicable quality.  Tact and honesty can go a long way toward making a point, or toward achieving the goal of improving our market options for quality reproduction parts.

Some vendors have already taken steps to improve their product line, look at Walcks new site for example, it appears he is incorporating a review option in his new website, as so many others in the retail world have already done.  Also, look at some of the WWII jeep parts vendors, like Midwest Military who come out with their own product lines, emphasizing that they are disappointed with currently available parts. 

If executed properly, our review section can influence vendors which will influence the manufacturers.  Who knows, maybe we can help do our part for the current economy and get some more American based parts suppliers back in business...  Shocked  ....OK, so I dreaming again, but you never know!!LOL STRIKE THAT, BECAUSE IT ALREADY IS WORKING!!!  JUST LOOK AT OUR "MEMBER CREATED PARTS" SECTION!!!

Let's do this...but let's do this the right way!

Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 17 Feb. 2011 at 7:34pm
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 7:37pm
Many special interest BBS sites provide for 'reviews' by members. Apparently they are not concerned about liability issues. Perhaps a disclaimer statement would suffice to eliminate your concerns.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 7:46pm
Sam, I agree with the sub-forum as a way to promote information to our members. It would allow specific access and the benefit of experience in a forum atmosphere. An example: Recently there were post relative to wiring harness. Several post indicated suppliers with whom the memeber had a good expierence, others questioned certain aspects relative to a supplier and or product. The information was deceimenated through the procss of the forum without critizing anyone in particular. I have had the problem in the past of finding information realative to my project, which had been previously delt with in previous post. Using the sub-forum system you suggest,would narrow down the area's to explore, hopefully! I could have saved hundreds of dollars had I known about the lack of fitability (new word) of the Phillipean parts that I purchased. And let me clear, it's not that the Phillpean parts are bad, it's just that they fit their products and not my Willys tub. My supplier told me I may have to make some alterations, they didn't tell me I would have to remanufacture the parts, which became necessary. Many of which I returned for credit. This proposal would appear to be a fitting way to proceed. There are many new members coming on-board almost daily. The CJ2A Pages are certainly becoming a most important avenue for restoration.

regor
46CJ2AVEC

"You can fool some of the people some of the time,
But; not all of the people all of the time"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 8:38pm
I think this would be useful, the reluctance I have is when it comes to vendors as it's possible for individuals to have vastly different experiences. An example is there is one particular vendor that I won't deal with after a bad experience. It's to the point that if he was the only one in the world with a part I needed, I'd do without. Strong stuff huh? But on the other hand I've read posts by other members who recommend him. I think what has happened is that there's a fundamental personality clash between me and him, one of those "oil and water" deals that happen from time to time in life. I haven't said anything negative about him in public postings (at least I don't think I have, but my mind is fading fastLOL) because I don't want my personal experiences to influence others that may have no problem at all. Just throwing out my .02 worth, now I'll get back to my Active house design projectConfused
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2011 at 11:40pm
Along the lines of Gail's post,"you will never regret saying something nice about someone".  I don't think there is any issue as to liability as there are really no limits to what you can say online. ( I happen to know a good lawyer) That is why you should proceed cautiously because such a spot could easily get out of hand with flaming someone and then others rushing to their defense.  If we all had Gail's restraint I wouldn't worry about this.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:09am
Again, this should not be about attacking vendors, its main focus should be a review of parts they carry. 

I'll stick my neck out, and give you an example of one real part review that I intended to mention.  This is the type of content that I would like to see in a part review.  Let's see what you think:

Inner steering sector shaft bushing part number 639090 and outer sector shaft bushing part number 639091.

(insert photo here of original, Walcks and Army Jeep Parts Bushings)

The Walcks bushings:
The bushings that Walcks offers were very close in appearance and construction to the originals and matched the length and diameters of the originals nicely.  There is a long and a short bushing, just as the originals.  The bushings appear to be steel backed bronze.  One difference to the originals was that the oil grooves on the outer bushing was cut all the way across the bushing, unlike the original bushing's oil grooves which stop short of the bushing end.  This should not be a problem in operation if the sector shaft oil seal is in good condition.  I would recommend these bushings, and I would be inclined to purchase them again.

The Army Jeep Parts bushings:
The bushings that came in the sector shaft kit from Army Jeep Parts are both the same length and outer diameter as the factory short bushing.  There is supposed to be a long bushing and a short bushing, so two short bushings is incorrect.  They both do have lubrication grooves that go the entire length of the bushings.  The bushing material in these bushings is much softer than the bronze bushings supplied by Walcks, and as found in the original bushings.  They appear to be steel backed babbitt and scratch very easily.  In my opinion, the soft bushings will not have the long term durability that the original bushings had.  I would not recommend using this particular bushing.

end of review...

Now, I think it is safe to say that the above review will help some of you folks out.  It sure would have helped me.  I wish I would have read something like this, and would have seen a photograph before I spent my time and money on these parts. 

It is also safe to say that I will still buy from Army Jeep Parts, as George has helped me with plenty of other parts, but here is one instance where knowing which part version a vendor carries would have been invaluable.

Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:11am
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:15am
The title says it best:  this would be a product review, not a vendor review.

I see no reason not to say where the part was obtained, and in some cases, it may be necessary for the "review" to serve its purpose.

If you don't know either the brand/manufacturer, or vendor, then the review is essentially useless.

If a vendor really cared about customer satisfaction, and return business, I would think they'd want to know about it.

Sean
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:18am

WELL   SEAN ...GET THE BALL ROLLING ON HERE...I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON IT....

VENDORS NAME   ----  PRODUCT ---PROBLEM WITH ITEM !!!!  PART NUMBER IF POSSIBLE
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 4:49am
Again, would this work in the "parts project" ? it seems to me allready designed for this.
I'm looking to be shot down here, give me the down side..
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 8:05am

What if all posts in this new section had to be approved by a moderator? That way it could be worded correctly and diluted like everything else in America, God forbid we affend anyone.

Edited by trader_reed - 18 Feb. 2011 at 8:06am
Maker of the Reedkini
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:42pm
Think some people are missing the point of my post. I'm all for calling out bad vendors when necessary and don't give a rats behind about offending anybody. It's just that I believe if a product review is based on where it was bought rather than who made it is going to create confusion and not really help anybody.

For example; someone buys part X from Walck's. It doesn't fit so he comes on here writes a review to say part X from Walck's didn't fit. So guys that read the review go shopping for part X at Peter DeBella, Ron Fitzpatrick or whomever instead. But the problem is they sell the same stinkin part from the same stinkin manufacturer. In the mean time maybe Carl found another supplier and now has the better part.

This would all be solved if the person putting up the review would take a minute, if he didn't know who manufactured the part to call Carl and tell him he wasn't happy with the part and is going to write a review on the 2A page. Then ask who the manufacturer is? If Carl declines then the member has no choice to say its a Walck's part.

With a manufacturer name the rest of us can go shopping and no matter who we call can ask... "I need part X, can you tell me who the manufacturer is? I heard those are junk... No thank you." At the same time Carl now knows the part is bad and can investigate more and maybe keep an eye open for a different supplier.

Edited by Scott R - 18 Feb. 2011 at 2:06pm
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by GaryArf GaryArf wrote:

Again, would this work in the "parts project" ? it seems to me allready designed for this.
I'm looking to be shot down here, give me the down side..
Gary, I think the downside is that it might be difficult to achieve the kind of integration with the Parts Project that you have in mind using the off-the-shelf capabilities of the forum software.  It is as though there would have to be the ability to support a parallel thread for every part thread under a given part group.  While that could happen logically, I have not seen the ability of the forum software to support something like that as it physically displays the thread topics or the expanded threads.  Also, now that the forum software supports mobile devices with their smaller screens, it would not work very well there, although that in itself would not need to be a deal killer. 

No matter how a new group of topics were set up - either as a completely separate group of sub-forums organized as the Parts Project is or in some more integrated fashion. people will be posting stuff in the wrong place from time to time, so moderators will have to be moving posts from one thread to another from time to time.  To Matt's point, above, moderators will also have to be cleaning up after us also when someone goes off on a tirade that goes too far, whatever that is, but I think that's not going to happen often.  I think it is useful to respectfully cite issues with vendors' performances as well as issues with their parts.  I do not think that reviews will be so inappropriate so often that the forum would need to be moderated in the sense of each post having to be reviewed before it is allowed to appear, but certainly some housekeeping will be necessary after the fact as it is now for the rest of the forum.

Where's WFB?  He hates too many rules as I do, I think.  Smile

Edit:  Scott - I did misunderstand your intent and do agree with the concepts you just posted.

Edited by samcj2a - 18 Feb. 2011 at 1:57pm
Sam

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Scott R Scott R wrote:

Think some people are missing the point of my post ...
I didn't.

Quote .. if a product review is based on where it was bought rather than who made it ...
The scenario you proposed is valid, but doesn't account for the other possibility:

manufacturer and/or brand name unknown

The issue is further complicated by vendors who use Willys part numbers, not the manufacturers part number, and themselves can't say who the manufacturer is (ie. white/brown box parts). eg:
  • part A-1234,  manufacturer unknown, from undisclosed vendor A
  • part A-1234,  manufacturer unknown, from undisclosed vendor X
I have parts exactly like that.  Same part number, completely different part.  One is good, the other isn't.

A review of this part, omitting the vendor, would not serve the purpose of the review: to inform the buyer of which part to buy, and which to avoid.

Sean
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 1:02am
Originally posted by metalshaper metalshaper wrote:

This is a great thread, I have been waiting for something like this for a while.  Some of you may know me, some of you may not.  Brian here, former shop name Brian's 4wd Parts, LLC in Branford, CT.   I think I have sold, installed, or junked just about every single part out there.  I have recently closed the company and moved out to the country to work on very specific projects now.  If anybody would like an assement of any part out there  I would be happy to provide an honest description.  I have sold it all, Crown, Omix, etc......  and know first hand how things work as I do the install as well.   Having restored many, many, old willys I speak from direct experience.   Good luck to everyone on their projects.  You can always reach me at metalshaper@comcast.net 

Brian

It seems you guys have had your answer earlier in this thread , all you have to do is ask...Seem like a man with experience, And his work shows it ,Humm and it not what he READS about its what he sees from on hands  Shocked!!!!!!!!!

thanks Brian
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 1:21am
As generous as Brian is with his information, I don't think that he will want all of us emailing him before we buy a part to see what he recommends or what his experience has been.  I still think that a review section would be very worthwhile.  I don't doubt that Brian would contribute some of his own ideas once a review section is up and running.  It would be invaluable.
Sam

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 1:37am
Well, for each his own I guess. He has offered his help and IF I have a ? i think I will ask him as he has offered.. But from a man that has dealt with this repo junk for years it is easy to say, its all junk  Big smile
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 3:33am
for those of us that dont have your experience, you wont mind if the rest of us muddle our way through the learning curve, do you?  as far as asking one man his own opinion, i think it is very gracious, exremely gracious,  if not pre-mature.  there is not a more patient sole alive that would answer every question for every part i need to yet purchase, that would at not some whits end, simply say, why not use the search function and see what others have said? or better yet, why dont you put together a section within the forum where you may indeed keep a library of opinions on parts? 

Edited by fritz - 19 Feb. 2011 at 3:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>