Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CJ2A  product review section?  I think we need it!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A product review section? I think we need it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 1:16pm
I was away for a few days, so here is my take on it.

If the intention is to get the best part available then the vendor is irrelevant unless they are making the part themselves, which is only true for a few vendors for a few items. And I am not in favor of making this a review on vendors based on the parts, since they most likely did not make the part only sell them, which gets back to the point we want the BEST PART AVAILABLE were is it purchased should be up to you. There are lots of sources besides the Jeep specific dealers including local parts shops and big chain stores.

I try to buy most of my parts from local parts guys and even big chains if they have the correct part. So I think if we can make a list of known good Manufactures and good part numbers that would give us a list we can use to go shopping anywhere, and if enough people call a vendor and say for instance do you have the "Manufacturer" part number "1111" and they say no we have "Manufacturer2" "1234" and you say ok I am going somewhere else, they might think twice about not having the BEST PART AVAILABLE.

I also come up with a few questions, how can we find out who the manufactures are of unmarked parts? How can we come up with a list of ALL the manufactures for a part and WHO is going to decide which is the best part?

I think this would be a great addition, but we must set up an outline for what we want to accomplish with this and how to go about it.

My first crack at an outline.
Overall Project
Sections like the part project.
Cooling
Electrical
Engine
Etc.

Single Parts
Take the water pump just for example.
1. List of known manufactures and part numbers
2. Find correct factory dimensions.
3. Comparisons to the factory dimensions by manufacture.
4. Trial fit of each part.
5. Recommendation from the reviewer/s

Each section does not have to be done by the same person.

Well that's my start on it what does everyone think?

Russ

Edited by russnj - 19 Feb. 2011 at 5:13pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 2:02pm

Glad you are back..Star
Star
beginning to wonder what your take on this was...Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 2:31pm
Russ,

With regard to your thoughts, my overall view is that the concept for an outline that you presented is both quite different from what I believe most others were contemplating and, more important, I think, is that if the primary organization key is going to be part manufacturer, the list would be extremely difficult to use.  When we go to buy a part we have not purchased before, it is very unlikely that most of us will know the potential manufacturers.   For that reason, I think that your first stated premise - "If the intention is to get the best part available then the vendor is irrelevant" - is not the objective at all.  For instance, suppose we know that XYZ makes the part we want.  If I do not know which vendor carries it, I cannot easily buy it without contacting all the vendors and asking if they have that one.  The question that seems most likely to come up is. "Where can I get a correct or durable one of these widgets?"

To get that answer, I'd like to find the widget category, read the posts there and see what others are saying about where they bought their widget, if it was correct or durable and, if they were able to determine it, who manufactured the part along with any other identifying information on the part.   I agree that often the dimensions of a part are critical and often the repro parts do not have the correct dimensions in which case I'd expect that information to come out in the posts of those who have had the unfortunate experience of receiving a poorly fitting part.  Often we do not even know that is an issue until the first time that someone posts that they have a problem with the fit of a part.  Again, if it is, for instance, a generator support rubber bushing, they are not going to know the manufacturer, most likely, but will know that the information should be posted with other information about generator parts. At that point the kind of research that is going on right now with that particular part can begin, and when conclusions are reached, the information can be posted in the appropriate parts review section.

So. my overall conclusions are that 1) we want to be able to have the primary index or organizational section heading into the review forum to be by part rather than by manufacturer, and 2) we want to be able to identify the sources or sources for parts to use.  

In other words, I am advocating an organization similar to the Parts Project groupings and also want to be able to post and read about vendor sources even though we all recognize that the parts carried by any vendor are prone to change over time. At least, we'd have good starting places when people are able to identify the places that they have found satisfactory widgets.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 3:26pm
Russ,

The fact that some vendors do not know the manufacturer, or that their part numbering systems do not allow differentiation of part origin or manufacture is the primary reason we are wasting our money on certain parts.  A review section that does not identify the part sources, hobbles this whole project. 

I have, on more than one occasion, asked a vendor details about his part before I bought it, and have many times been reassured that the part is as original, or is a replacement that they recommend, and even been told parts are NOS, only to receive something that I was not happy with or incorrect.  Also, I imagine that most of us usually wait and order a batch of parts at one time to save on postage, few vendors have the time or desire to answer specific questions about each part in a larger order.

I think that a system that does not mention vendors names is going to light up the PM switchboard with inquiries to the reviewers about where they obtained certain parts.

As far as format, I feel it would be great to make a separate forum section that is a twin to the parts project format, but for replacement parts only.

Thanks for your help with this!
Daniel
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 5:10pm
Sam, I think I missed saying that my outline is for ONE part not the whole project.

I think if you want to have a list of the best part you must look at the manufacture, the vendor can change or use what ever suppliers they want, if you want a usable list of known good parts you should have a manufacture/part number when possible. We can note who is selling what at the time, but before ordering I would ask what manufacture/part number you are getting.

I have revised the outline have another look.

Edited by russnj - 19 Feb. 2011 at 5:15pm

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 5:17pm
Russ,

Is your concept that the information for a single part would be provided by only one person or would there be a thread of posts for each part where the posters would attempt to conform to the outline of part information that you propose?
Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Each section does not have to be done by the same person.

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 6:08pm
Russ,

My question was not clear, or at least your answer does not address my question Big smile.  Your answer implies to me that each individual section would be done by only one person as opposed to being contributed to and commented on by multiple people.  I understand that the same person would not do all sections.  It seems to me that it is important that all members have the opportunity to add information to any single part entry.

Also, do you contemplate that a single part entry as I have referred to it would be a thread of one or more posts or do you have another form in mind?
Sam

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 6:18pm
Can some one go down to the basement and get Jpet to take a break from sewing?LOL
Tell him to come up here and give an opinion.  He seems to always have some good thought and I for one value his opinion.
Speeking of opinions, I agree with Daniel that the vendor name has to be mentiond most of the time.  Of course if it's a bearing or seal that some one got from Advance Auto or Autozone then no one really cares if the seal doesn't work good and the recomendation is not to buy that part from that vendor.
I think what we are all concerned about is if you buy a part from say Walcks and it doesn't really work or fit like it should that we are going to upset Carl or hurt him in some way by mentioning that "this" part he stocks is not up to par.  I don't think people will stop buying from him because of a review like that, maybe just not "that" part.  But then again others may still buy it.  Not everyone is into the "period correct" boat or "exactly like the original"/"NOS" boat.  Carl will even tell you on the phone "this is the best I can get, it's ok but I wish there was a better manufacture out there for this"
Just adding to the mix here.
Where are you on this Jeff?

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 9:18pm
I'll setup a mockup forum to test this out.

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 9:19pm
Great! Clap
Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2011 at 9:52pm
Test setup here post comments in that area now, any volunteers to moderate the new forum?

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cooling-product-reviews_forum63.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123