Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Rear Tank?!?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Rear Tank?!?!?!?
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 5:28am
Totally stumped here guys, this is the current rear tank off of my '47 2A. Keep in mind this thing is a total frankenstein rockcrawler from the late 60's... 2nd generation 327 with a SM 421, Dana 44 Rear Lockers. 

The tank here is totally shot, rusted out we've rebuilt the carb three times now due to rust continuing to seep past our filters. I'd love to replace with a new one but just can't find anything like it...

Dimensions are real small compared to all of the current tanks I find for sale online.

21.5" x 13.75" x 10" 

I'm assuming its a 10gal since I've never filled it up past 9 gallons before... smallest comparable model I can find is 13-14gal range.

Here's a shot, does anyone know what this tank could be from???? Thanks guys!

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 1:20pm
Long shot guess -  Perhaps a Willys Forward Control or something like that.

Where was it mounted - in the bed - under the bed - rear fender well or other place?

Edited by Stev - 02 Sep. 2020 at 1:25pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 1:49pm
DJ ?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 1:57pm
I had Atlantic Coastal Welding (https://speedytanks.com/) build a custom in-bed 18 gallon transfer tank for my Nissan back in 2015.  It was not cheap (~$500) but I got the exact dimensions and features I needed in an aluminum tank that is epoxy coated and will never rust.  They built the tank and shipped it in less than a week.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 2:23pm
2X on DJ tank
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 3:37pm
At first glance it looks like the tank from a "mule"  M274.
-Gaffer
fullgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 3:46pm
Bring that tank to any competent fabrication shop and they will make you one for around $300.  Here in Texas they are in just about any small farm town and spend most of their time making things like that for tractors, pumps, etc.  If you find old-school radiator shop (getting very hard to find), they could bend and solder you a new tank body and reuse your filler and fittings.  That route is about the same cost.
David - Celina,TX
1948 CJ-2a (on the road but never finished)
DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 6:43pm
Thanks for the info gents!

This was mounted under the bed, right at the rear fender. 

I’ll look into the Forward / Mule suggestions. Worst case scenario we will get a shop to fab one as suggested... looking to save coin if at all possible with this project going WAAAAAYY over budget (preaching to the choir here I know...)
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 6:46pm
Looks like a GM truck side tank.
DMusil
C180guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C180guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 10:34pm
Hi all, multiple years lurking here, but first post.

I have the exact same tank mounted in the rear of my 52' M38. I'm assembling parts for my next dream old school flatty build and wanted to copy this when the time came.

My frame is not stock on the M38 and was told it's a Dj3 frame, but I can see clearly it had outboard rears like a DJ5, although it's now on Hollbrooke springs. I had assumed because of the added space/length back there that it was a cj5 tank, but now you have me questioning it.

I'll do some digging through my paperwork and also see if I can visually see anything that might give me a clue to what it's from. Heck, maybe a DJ5. IDK!
C180guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C180guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 11:11pm
Think I found what your (and me) are looking for. Your dimensions are exactly like mine, but your fill inlet is to the front and mine is at the rear, but still on the passenger side.

With a little digging, I'm pretty sure it's a DJ5 rear frame tank. The pics I found have the different inlet positions depending on what year it is. This link below has pics, but no dimensions shown. My tank is shown in the center pic clear down to the channels and outlet ontop. Thinking your tank could have had the outlet reattached to the rear side, or It's another year not shown. I'll have to try my hand at attaching pics one of these days. 

Hope this helps, although this company says there out of stock, it seems like everyone is out of parts right now. 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2020 at 12:44am
If you will Google DJ 3A gas tank on Google images I think that will help.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2020 at 3:10am
DJ3A.  You have to move the angled braces on a 2A or 3A frame, but it will work.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
DadaNich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DadaNich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2020 at 3:25am
Hot damn you guys rock! Super helpful I really appreciate the support!!! Cold one on me for sure!
 Post Reply Post Reply