Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

### CJ-2A RESEARCH DATABASE ###

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ### CJ-2A RESEARCH DATABASE ###
    Posted: 12 Nov. 2008 at 2:10am
Released again for scrutiny & participation.  A "full detail" page is now linked from the VIN number.  Everything about a particular rig on one page.

The self-sizing version - hopefully good for IE now:
CJ-2A Data & Info
The fixed size version (if your browser doesn't work with the one above, eg. older browsers)
CJ-2A Data & Info alternate
Please READ the mission statement link on the above pages for guidelines to posting your data.

I want to keep the data table clean of "non-informative" entries, so if you don't have hard data to put in the primary data field, then leave it blank.  Put comments in the comment field, not the data field.

ie: don't put "unknown" or "can't read", or "gone" or "missing" , etc., etc., etc., in the primary data field!

I also want to keep this post on-topic WRT the data itself:  a place to discuss the data presentation, organization, collection, suggestions, request, etc.,  not for troubleshooting browser issues!

If the pages don't work right in your browser, don't post the problem here, but SEND ME A PM, and I'll start a troubleshooting thread in "testing & support" again.

Sean

Edited by sean - 17 Jan. 2010 at 2:55pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2008 at 3:55pm
Here's my opinion on "non original" equipment entries:

Example:

Arizona has a "non original" and "non period correct" but CJ2A correct L134 engine.

There are probably 3 ways I can do the entry for the "Engine Stamped Serial Number.
1. Leave the field blank
2. Put the engine serial number in the field with a popup saying that it's non original
3. Put "Not original" in the field with a popup giving the engines serial number and maybe an explanation

In senario 1, we don't learn nothin' about a CJ2A correct motor.

In senario 2, we do get the job done, but a person may read the data and not realize that the motor is un-original unless he clicks on the entry.  (he may not know there is a pop-up)

Senario 3 I like because there is no mistaking the motor for original but the information on a correct 2A engine is there.

Maybe there is an even better way to do it, but I would want to learn from this data which engines are actually original to the vehicle, and get data from engines that may be "correct" for 2As but not necessarily original to the vehicle.

Any thoughts?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2008 at 6:52pm
Jeff:

If limited to your 3 options, I'd have to go with #2.  Speaking strictly as a "user" of the database:

I'd prefer not to see anything but real numbers/data in the primary data field.  It's easier to scan over empty fields than it is to sift through myriad different "comments" that have been entered instead of real data.

Commented fields are easily recognized by the blue "*". Empty fields will have only the asterisk, but there are some fields where it will be appropriate to leave a "comment", and in those cases, the comment will also be in blue, indicating a popup or link.

Examples of where a "comment" is appropriate:  ACM numbers.  Some tubs don't have them, and in that case, saying "none" is the appropriate data entry.

But there is at least a 4th. "option" which I think is appropriate:
Enter the engine in it's own record!  Separate from the frame & tub.  Use the engine number (w/out prefix) as the required "VIN".
In the frame/tub record, you can add a comment that the engine, being non-original,  is listed separately as # "xxyyyz"

In the engine record, do the same for the tub/frame.

There's nothing about the database structure to preclude any of the 4 methods.  Although, for consistency sake, it would be nice to settle on one method or 'tother.

I'm all ears.

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2008 at 5:37pm
SAFARI UPDATE

The latest release of Safari, v3.2, works with the self-adjusting page!

Versions available for both OS 10.4.11 & 10.5.5

Sean
JPWizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2008 at 8:42pm
Can you color code stuff so the field is high-lighted by a colored border.  Use a legend to specify the colors.

IE green=stock
red=modified  
blue=unknown
ect

What about peons like me that have something that looks stock, but how do I really know?
The ass of my art form is always exposed
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2008 at 4:52pm
Welcome aboard!
Originally posted by JPWizard JPWizard wrote:

Can you color code stuff so the field is high-lighted by a colored border.
It's possible, but not feasible or practical at this time, for a number of reasons:
  1. it would require writing a "decision" algorithm that would compare all the data entered against a list of "known original" parts.  A non-trivial effort that I don't have time for right now.
  2. we don't know what all the "original" parts are to begin with.  That's what this research project is all about.
  3. personally, I despise "multi-colored" web pages! And since I'm the one maintaining it, it ain't gonna get done that way Wink
I'll keep something like it in mind for future updates though.

Quote What about peons like me that have something that looks stock, but how do I really know?
You've already taken the first step: joining this forum! Big smile
  • Browse through & join in the discussions!
  • Search this forum for the parts you want to know about.  There are hundreds of existing discussions & photos regarding "original" parts.
  • Make use of the "Parts Project".  That is it's purpose, to be a reference to original parts.
  • Make use of Willys parts lists & service manuals.
  • Post your parts questions in the "Tech Q&A" section. (do a search first though!)
Sean
jeep795 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep795 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2009 at 2:44pm
Just a thought, and it would only apply to the early original column shifts.  But some of the Tunnel covers had a bump for the vent and some were flat.  Would that be a noteworthy thing to add to the list?  I've only even heard that mentioned a few times, but it's interesting.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by jeep795 jeep795 wrote:

Just a thought, and it would only apply to the early original column shifts.  But some of the Tunnel covers had a bump for the vent and some were flat.  Would that be a noteworthy thing to add to the list?  I've only even heard that mentioned a few times, but it's interesting.
It's not a good candidate.

The primary purpose of the data collection effort is to determine for ourselves, when, why and how things changed, because Willys didn't specify or document the changes clearly enough.

The "bump" is already well documented in the parts list.  It disappeared at s/n 24197, when the transmission vent was eliminated.

Sean
walkerrcofc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkerrcofc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2009 at 3:18pm
new to all this forum stuff, but found an old column shift and would like to add to data page. Tried twice and no show. Problem may be that I'm putting the serial # in the "CJ vehicle number (required)" slot, because I don't know what else to put. help? (BTW: My CJ's serial # is 12054)
'42 MB Slat Grill
'46 CJ2A #12054

Walker on the Chesapeake Bay
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2009 at 4:30pm
PM sent.
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 9:03pm
So Sean,

My 47 CJ2a has no data tags anywhere, not the firewall or frame and Bubba hacked the dash. All I have is the ACM #s
Gussett-----79348
TG---------79474

It looks, from the database that I do indeed have a 47 but can't post to the database because of the missing sn.

Your thoughts, as always are appreciated
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Zuma58 Zuma58 wrote:

So Sean,

My 47 CJ2a has no data tags anywhere, not the firewall or frame and Bubba hacked the dash. All I have is the ACM #s
Gussett-----79348
TG---------79474

It looks, from the database that I do indeed have a 47 but can't post to the database because of the missing sn.

Steve I had a tub from '46.  Nothing but the ACM#.  Sean put it on the database using a best estimate of what the serial number would be.
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:14am
Thanks Dennis, I am hoping I can figure this out

Appreciatiate the response!
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:22pm
Steve:
Quote My 47 CJ2a has no data tags anywhere, not the firewall or frame and Bubba hacked the dash. All I have is the ACM #s
Gussett-----79348
TG---------79474
Register it as number 89348  (gusset ACM + 10000)

Leave the Frame, S/N & Body tag fields blank.  Put a comment in the Frame and/or S/N "additional info" fields noting that the VIN is approximated from ACM.

Thanks!   Sean
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 2:58am
Ok Sean, not sure I got it all right so let me know if I didn't. But it is posted.........
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 3:04pm
Got it Steve, thanks!  Update it as you gather more info.

Edited by sean - 14 July 2011 at 3:05pm
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2012 at 12:28am
Is there something wrong wih the data base or is it my putor. It is new to me and has windows 7.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2012 at 12:37am
Sean's entire web site is down.  It's not your computer!  It will probably be back up before long.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>