Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 1:39am
Look great.  What brand and size?
Mike in AZ
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:53am
Awesome Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Look great.  What brand and size?

Firestone Town & Country. 6.50-16.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 8:01pm
Thank you
Mike in AZ
cheesejeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 5:52pm
Are those wheels the original type? They look great.
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 1:25am
Thank you for the comment. My wife thinks they're hideous. I believe they are the original wheels and they look great after hours of removing several coats of paint. They were finished off with two coats of epoxy primer and several coats of single stage acrylic urethane.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Cheapsnake Cheapsnake wrote:

Very nice.  I'm digging that radiator too.  Wheels look good.  I have a set just like them on my Gladiator.  My wife says the white wheels makes the red on my neck stand out.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
cheesejeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 5:24pm
I wish I had a matched set of wheels. I have a hodge-podge of 15 inchers and only one looks like an original type. I'm quite surprised at the prices for new 16" steel wheels...yikes!
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:37am
Ol' Yeller's coming out party. Finally got her off jackstands and into open air where whe belongs. Everything went well, other than the operator's confusion about a 3-speed shift pattern.
https://youtu.be/HOFRVNXjBVQ

I'm actually seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. All I need to do to finish up is strip, repair, prime and paint the front fenders, hood, tailgate, grill and misc. parts. Never mind.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:53am
Nice progress! I love that yellow color.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:11pm
That body and the color are looking great, good job.  
Max
CJ2A 110861

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:21pm
Thanks for the color comments. I actually started out with the intention of painting it Olive Drab, but then saw a pic of the yellow and that was all it took to change my mind.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 1:02am
Been a while hasn't it? Believe it or not, I've been hard at it in the past month and thinking I'm seeing a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

As of last month, I had the main body painted and most of the mechanical stuff worked out. Home free, right? Wrong. As they say, the devil is in the details. Nothing major, just annoying little things that either didn't quite fit or flat-out didn't work, parts that were shipped wrong, and finally, dumb mistakes by yours truly.

Probably the most frustrating glitch came in attaching the fenders and grill. They came up almost 3/4" short of meeting the main body. I was able to get them to mate up by a combination of shoving the body forward by half the distance and moving the grill mounting platforms back the other half. Everything fits and looks just fine now, but I'm at a loss as to why I had the misfit in the first place. Everything else was pretty much routine tweaking and swearing, standard stuff for projects. It all takes time.

So today I was able to put the final paint on the front end. It was an ideal day for paint in the driveway, cool temps, low breeze, low humidity and a bright sun. I'm happy with the outcome.

Just when I'm feeling pretty smug about the paint job, I jump in to move her out of the way and, you guessed it, won't start. Problem was a rotted fuel suction line that should have been changed as a matter of routine, but who has the time? Anyway, got it changed and she fires right up.

On to the next challenge, which is simply to attach all the parts that make it a Jeep. Oh, and by the way, the seat cushions that were supposed to be delivered last Thursday were delivered to Scottsdale, AZ on Saturday. WHAAAAAT?

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 1:05am
Quick question, does anyone have a trick for painting (contrasting color) the "Willys" logo on the hood. I know if I try doing it freehand I'll screw it up.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:18am

Quick question, does anyone have a trick for painting (contrasting color) the "Willys" logo on the hood. I know if I try doing it freehand I'll screw it up.
Yes, hire a sign painter😄

Or a pinstriper. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Yes, hire a sign painter😄

Or a pinstriper. 

I was afraid that was the answer.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
CJ2atlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2atlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:27pm
I did mine by hand. A small foam roller and just the right amount of pressure as I rolled across the letters and they came out nearly perfect.
Probably should practice on an old hood or tailgate first if you've got something laying around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 1:31am
Originally posted by CJ2atlas CJ2atlas wrote:

I did mine by hand. A small foam roller and just the right amount of pressure as I rolled across the letters and they came out nearly perfect.
Probably should practice on an old hood or tailgate first if you've got something laying around.

What did you use for paint?

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>