Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2a Restoration, Let the fun begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 6:57pm
With the chassis and drivetrain pretty much ready to go, it's time to get after the body. I braced it up with 1x4's in order to help keep it in spec before turning it on its side for inspection.

As expected, the passenger side floor is toast, driver's side has been repaired, but not a great job. All the bracing needs to be replaced.

Scraped off the crud and mud from the bed underside and it ain't too bad, thanks to the preservation properties of leaking seals. That's original red paint there folks. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the condition.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2020 at 7:27pm
Got the old floors removed, cleaned up the perimeters and installed the passenger side...all in only a day and a half. The major time consumer was inducing 18 ga. steel into compound curves. I heated the bends as best I could with a propane torch to soften it, but there just wasn't enough heat to make the metal pliable. So I ended up whacking away at it with the help of my wife (she's a keeper) providing backing on the other side. With a little more cutting and patching, I finally got it reasonably close to correct. If I had more heat available I would have tried the heat/water trick. Anybody got a method to caress these floors into place?
Here's the final product.

Only one more side to go.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2020 at 9:19pm
Hammers and dollies?
47 CJ2A
48 CJ2A
Forgive me if I don't return the "jeep wave", I need both hands on the wheel!
JohnB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2020 at 10:30pm
I formed my trans tunnel pieces with a hammer and 1 1/2" steel pipe - just bend around the pipe for the transition you want.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2020 at 7:09pm
I did the initial bend around the pipe. That was the easy part, but now I have to curve the bend in two places to match the shape of the trans tunnels and the bends have to be in the exact places. So I think I'll go back to placing the metal into place and hammering the crap out of it using the tunnel as a template. At least I've got one bend started.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2020 at 10:41am
Floors and bracing...FINALLY! This turned out to be a much longer and tedious task than I had anticipated. For one, I opted to bend the floor panels into the trans tunnel vs. making hard corners. My mistake, the PO (Bubba) replaced the DS pan with bends so I assumed that was the "proper" way. Obviously, he had access to metal shaping tools and abilities than I. The PS floor was pretty much gone so I had no reason to believe the floors were installed with anything other than bends. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, after many hours of whacking, heating, cutting, patching, nudging and swearing I got the pans to look pretty decent. I still have a bit of oil canning, but not enough to notice when you step on the floor. I'm thinking I can correct a lot of it with a bit of heat and water.

The main issue with the bracing was simply locating the body mounts in the correct locations. I had one body mount (left rear) left on the body after removing all the bad stuff. I mapped the mount points on the frame and transferred those dimensions to the body using the one body mount I had left on the body as a reference point. Just as a bit of insurance, I'm going to open up the mount holes on the frame to 3/4". This will give me a little leeway in case the body distorted during all the pounding and welding it went through.

What's left on the underside of the body is just to clean everything up in preparation for paint. Thankfully, Bubba did a repaint with cheap paint and for the most part, I was able to remove it with a sharp chisel, the final cleanup with a flap disc and a good particle mask. The red you see is what I assume is the original factory paint and it's as solid as can be, a tribute to the paint technology and production of the time. It's going to stay and will get overcoated with epoxy primer, hopefully next week.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic