Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cj2a springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cj2a springs
    Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 6:07pm
In rebuilding my cj2aI got to the last spring install. Found the shackle side of the spring didn't have any threads. I tried to look for a threaded bushing on line, none. Guess the bush is in the spring. Need to buy the correct spring? Thanks for any info..Rick

diver rick
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 10:22pm
The shackle side of the spring does not have a bushing.  Only the end with the pivot bolt has a bushing.  The shackle has threads that tighten inside the eye of the springs.  Walck's has very high quality springs made for them.  I have a full set and love them.  When you buy the springs they come with the bushings for the pivot bolts.

FYI - the shackles on the front-left, and right-read have reverse threads on the spring-side of the shackle so as they compress it tensions the leaf spring.

Rick Lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 10:49pm
Thanks for the info.. Rick
diver rick
Rick Lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 10:46pm
I understand now...Thanks Rick
diver rick
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 11:06pm
Don't over tighten them. My brother replaced the shackles and they soon broke. Tighten them up , back them off about 1/2 turn.  They only work if they are allowed to rotate.
john
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 3:53am
So what places offer the better springs?  I was thinking of getting a full kit  (springs/shackles/bushing/shocks etc) as mine are original and in poor condition.  

Edited by wfopete - 15 Apr. 2021 at 3:57am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 4:31am
 Carl Walck (Walck's4WD) has USA-made springs and everything else at a reasonable price. I've used a couple of sets of his springs with good results. I would not hesitate to use his springs again. Carl endeavors to offer the best available of whatever he sells.

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 11:24am
What Bruce said above.  I bought Carl's full kit last summer at one of his 10% off sales.  Excellent quality and free shipping.  Quality springs are worth spending the extra money on.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 12:54pm
Hi
While we are on the subject, my 48 has the classic lean on the left side which I assume is springs as I can pull up the left side from the wheel arch up to level. Sound about right?

Those springs look great, you guys are so lucky to have places like Walcks that stock this stuff at great prices. Might ask them if they want a franchise in the UK!

Edited by JonJ - 15 Apr. 2021 at 12:55pm
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 3:32pm
One more plug for Walck's. I have the Made in USA springs and their M38A1 shackle kit and like them.

Edited by drm101 - 15 Apr. 2021 at 3:38pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 6:00pm
A 2nd opinion on springs.
Since I wheel my CJ2A pretty hard, I bash the springs on a lot of rocks, beating and bending them at times. This has caused me to thing of springs as more of a wear or replacement item like tires rather than a lifetime fix. If I were going to use my rig for trail riding or farm type use and had no intention of rock bashing, I would definitely go with the Walcks high quality springs. 
Since I replace mine springs every 2 or 3  years anyway, I choose to go with the less expensive Crown replacement springs. They have a nice soft ride compared to the heavier duty Walcks springs and I don't feel so bad when I bend the end of one.
I usually get mine from Summit because they have competitive prices and offer free shipping.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 6:31pm
Thanks Stan,

Excellent additional info that the crown springs have a softer ride, 
I'm still running the original Ford springs on my 43 gpw and I, too, much prefer the soft ride that they provide.  

I will also say, that the proper, old school shocks, that are NOT gas charged make a HUGE difference in providing a soft and smooth ride. 

OVER THE COUNTER SHOCKS THAT COME WITH PLASTIC STRAPS THAT HOLD THEM TOGETHER AND EXPAND AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE STRAP OFF ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND ON THESE OLD FLAT FENDERS. 
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 7:46pm
I don't want to hijack this thread but that brings up a subject I've thought about: Ride

What is recommended for getting into a softer more comfortable ride and in what order?

Tires, shocks, springs or a  Lincoln MK4?

Skip the Ford I can't afford that.
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 8:14pm
Ride quality

It doesn't matter that I have Ford springs. Not at all. What I was trying to suggest is that the original springs, Willys or Ford, can provide an exceptionally good quality ride and I have found that in order to achieve a quality soft and not harsh ride that the shocks make a huge difference.

I see a lot of folks in pictures have bright blue shocks that appear like what I had from Napa 25 or 30 years ago that I'm sure are pretty much identical today. Even then the shocks had nitrogen charge in them.  If you feel those shocks and try to compress them they are very very stiff on the compression stroke and that added to leaf springs makes for a jarring harsh ride.

I'm not sure who sells them? But I assume somebody actually sells shocks that are non-nitrogen charged? The difference is really night and day; two totally different jeeps.

The other thing that I have found that makes a very big difference is to oil the springs. And by oiling, I mean soak them on the sides with PB blaster or liquid wrench out of a spray can. All the way from the shackle to the to the pin at the other end do it multiple times and let the PB blaster or liquid wrench penetrating oil soak in between the leaves of the springs.

You will then notice two things. Almost all of the squeaks and moans and groans of the suspension will disappear and the ride will have gotten remarkably softer and more enjoyable. This will not, however, be obvious as long as the nitrogen charged shocks are in place. I have a $0 fix for that too if anybody's interested?

But, to start with, soak your springs with spray PB blaster or liquid wrench and I mean soak them.  It will make a difference.

Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 8:42pm
I guess that would be one reason for the popularity of coil over springs.  Probably lose a chunk of weight and get a more comfortable ride.  I think the rock guys prefer ts convert to coil over setups, as you don't have the leafs hanging down with the rocks.  A temping thought.  
 Post Reply Post Reply