Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Stumbling and Possible Solex Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2022 at 9:06pm
Worked on it a bit more tonight, and here’s where we’re at. 

Cleaned up and re-tightened all the fittings from the fuel pump, and we have plenty of fuel getting all the way to the carb; but nothing going into the carb. Opening the throttle, we didn’t see any fuel going in, and couldn’t smell any fuel in the barrel. 

At this point, I’m assuming the carb is blocked or otherwise malfunctioning. Plan is to just go ahead with the WO rebuild. Once I get the WO back in service, I’ll break open the Solex and see just what’s going on. If anything, I can have the Solex as a backup. 

Spraying starting fluid into the carb did make the engine want to crank, so it seems as though it’s got to be the carb. 

Once I get the WO back, I’ll give an update. 

I also found the original WO fuel filter, so I’ll have that to replace the flimsy clear one I used for the troubleshooting. 

I appreciate everyone’s help, and please feel free to add anything that might be beneficial for the WO, etc. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 1:07am
What I hear you saying is that it almost ran on starting fluid, but did not actually start & run. Is that correct?

If so, you have other issues than just the carburetor. Replacing the Solex with the Carter will not fix this issue.
cyates176FA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

What I hear you saying is that it almost ran on starting fluid, but did not actually start & run. Is that correct?

If so, you have other issues than just the carburetor. Replacing the Solex with the Carter will not fix this issue.

Spraying starting fluid in the carb would get it to “almost” crank. It did backfire at the carb once or twice. 

We do suspect other issues. Primarily, we are having doubts about the fly weight springs in the distributor, for the mechanical advance. We are also wondering if there’s an air leak (either a vacuum leak or maybe the carb itself is letting air in). 

I’ve also been looking into the heat riser, which was suggested in an earlier post.

Going back with the WO specifically is partially just something I’d like to do, and this is just an opportune time to do it. But in this instance it’ll also get us further along in troubleshooting. 

It’s just odd that it ran without any real issues and then suddenly sputtered like it was running out of gas and then it was dead in the water. 

Thank you, and keep the ideas and suggestions coming! 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 10:57am
  I don’t know the Solex very well - I know how to take it off, and I know there are some who like it. Maybe someone who knows it better will respond - Does the Solex have a filter screen at the inlet that could be plugged?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I don’t know the Solex very well - I know how to take it off, and I know there are some who like it. Maybe someone who knows it better will respond - Does the Solex have a filter screen at the inlet that could be plugged?
BW 

I plan to check a few more things either tonight or tomorrow after work. I feel like it's got to be somewhere in the inlet for the carb to not even smell fuel in the barrel. I'll have to look more into the Solex diagram to see if there's a screen somewhere (hopefully so) that could be blocked. 

I'll carry on with the WO rebuild, and do a bit more troubleshooting on the Solex, as I would like to have a backup (to go with the other "backup carbs" I never use that are in my garage). 
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

BW 

Bruce, 
There is one below the fuel inlet. A brass plug that has a screen it. 

There is not much to these carbs. If your gaskets are not bad, I would pull it apart and give it a good cleaning. At the very least, i would pull the top cover. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 12:24pm

[/QUOTE]

Bruce, 

There is not much to these carbs. If your gaskets are not bad, I would pull it apart and give it a good cleaning. At the very least, i would pull the top cover. 

Micah
[/QUOTE]

I’ll look for this when I check the carb next. Would love for it to be something easy like that. If nothing else to get fuel to and through the carb to diagnose other issues.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 1:50pm
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is this plug the one going in at a 45* angle directly under the fuel inlet?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 8:29pm
Tonight’s update:

I pulled the screen filter at the inlet and it had some trash in there. Got it cleaned up, and the inlet passage had similar crud, which I cleaned out. Tightened up all the mounting bolts, and it started. It idles; but a bit rough, and I’m still not seeing any spray when looking down the carb barrel. If you rev it quickly, it sputters and will die if you keep in the throttle. But it started, so I’m feeling better about it. Rotating the distributor improves the idle; but I think until we improve the fuel flowing through the carb, we won’t be able to fine tune the timing. 

Still planning to troubleshoot the mechanical advance weight springs, as well. 

I’m wondering if the float is stuck or something, and we’ll have to pull the jets and stuff this weekend to make sure they’re cleaned out. 

Not moving mountains; but at this point I’m happy with forward progress. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 9:22pm
I am not that familiar with a Solex, but carburetors all do the same thing. 

Since you found debris in the inlet you can bet good money debris got past that screen and into the other passages. I would remove the carburetor, take the top off, carefully remove the float and float valve plunger, remove the metering rod being careful not to bend anything, if it has a check valve in the idle circuit remove that too, spray carburetor cleaner in every hole you see, and blow out the all passages with compressed air. hold the carburetor over a big box in case anything, such as a check valve, blows out.  

When you put it back on the engine you need to install a good filter at the carburetor.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I am not that familiar with a Solex, but carburetors all do the same thing. 

Since you found debris in the inlet you can bet good money debris got past that screen and into the other passages. I would remove the carburetor, take the top off, carefully remove the float and float valve plunger, remove the metering rod being careful not to bend anything, if it has a check valve in the idle circuit remove that too, spray carburetor cleaner in every hole you see, and blow out the all passages with compressed air. hold the carburetor over a big box in case anything, such as a check valve, blows out.  

When you put it back on the engine you need to install a good filter at the carburetor.

That will be my next move. May take a day or two to get to it.

Appreciate all your help on this! 
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 12:13am
there is a  post from member jeep Roger April 18 2012 improved distributor functionality you may want to check it out if you want improve your distributor do a search for his post.
Richard
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 8:48am
While checking things out you may want to check the ignition switch. I went through the carb and replaced the distributor along with plugs and wires just to find out the bulk of my issues were in a bad ignition switch. It was literally vibrating itself on and off making it act like a bad miss. I was running half choke to go down the road before replacing the switch. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Richard J Richard J wrote:

there is a  post from member jeep Roger April 18 2012 improved distributor functionality you may want to check it out if you want improve your distributor do a search for his post.

Great! I'll check that out. I would imagine it could use some work. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Jeff J Jeff J wrote:

While checking things out you may want to check the ignition switch. I went through the carb and replaced the distributor along with plugs and wires just to find out the bulk of my issues were in a bad ignition switch. It was literally vibrating itself on and off making it act like a bad miss. I was running half choke to go down the road before replacing the switch. 

Good idea! I'm sure that I've got more than just a carburetor issue on this Jeep, haha! We plan to take advantage of this downtime to work through multiple issues. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 6:42am
Began the Carter WO rebuild yesterday, and I’ve run into an issue. Two of the jets are stuck, and the slot for the screwdriver is pretty chewed up.

Soaked them last night to try to loosen them up; but they won’t budge. With the chewed up slots, I’m not able to get much pressure on the screwdriver while I turn it because it’s just causing the brass to crumble. 

I’ll try a propane torch today; but wondering what would be the next step of that didn’t work? I’ve attached some pictures with descriptions based on the rebuild instructions. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 4:54pm
Quick update: 

Carter WO rebuild is still on-going (machine shop is pulling the two stripped-out jets). 

Took the Solex off and blew out the jets with compressed air - and now the accelerator pump is pushing fuel into the carb getting to fire up and idle (though the idle isn't as good as smooth as before). 

Still having the same stumbling issues - and I can't hit the throttle without the engine dying. I noticed fuel dripping from the fuel pump - even though the fittings are tight. I have a new fuel pump in the mail (as well as a 1/4" drive 1/2" swivel socket that I hope will pull that one annoying bolt). We're thinking the pump may be pulling air or weak in general and not able to keep up with the fuel demand (especially given the in-line pressure regulator). It also doesn't fill the fuel filter more than 1/3 of the way. 

Additionally, I am replacing the heat riser spring, as it seems loose, and the counterweight doesn't stay in the "open" position (it bounces somewhat in rhythm to the engine idling). 

I also ordered the mechanical advance springs for the distributor, as they didn't seem to have much resistance in them. 

Still troubleshooting; but with spark and what seems to be OK timing it seems like it's at least partly fuel delivery related. But the heat riser and mechanical advance springs probably aren't helping anything. 

More updates as things develop. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 5:27pm
So you are going to change a bunch of things & hope that one of them is the issue?

All I can say is it is your time & $$. This is called the shotgun approach. Do as you please.

Personally I like to know what is wrong before I replace probable good parts. I would only attack one, or at most, two problems at one time.

I would first fix the "fuel dripping from the fuel pump" since this is a major safety issue. It is probably a connection problem. If not, then either a new diaphragm, if available, or a new pump is necessary. I would also clean the idle circuit in the Solex. These should fix the Idle issue as well as keep the Jeep from burning to the ground, again, your call.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>