Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A to MB Impostor Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warbird Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A to MB Impostor Conversion
    Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 6:06pm
Hello All!

First time poster, long time lurker. Figured this would be the place to try and get some info on some thoughts I had. So please forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been asked here before. I'm currently looking at a 1946 CJ2A that has some pretty bad rot in the tub, but the engine, transmission, frame, and other smaller accessories appear to in restorable condition. What I'm really looking for is a WWII MB Jeep or something like that, but my bank account currently doesn't dictate such a purchase. So, I came across this tub for sale.

image 2

image 0

The owner is claiming it's a 1941 body. I'm still fairly new to all the subtleties in the Jeep linage so bare with me please. So my question is...

1. Could you install this body onto a 1946 frame with minimal to no effort/conversion? 
2. Would any of the other parts from the CJ2A be able to be used?
3. If I wanted to buy a new-build body tub and parts for a 1942/43 MB Jeep, could they be installed onto a 46 CJ2A frame with minimal to no effort/conversion?

While I'm sure this seems probably sacrilegious to try and make a Frankenstein Jeep like this, I'm essentially trying to keep my costs down at an absolute low while still trying to end up with a convincing looking WWII Jeep. Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns? Or am I just off my rocker?

Look forward to hearing what the experts here have to say.

Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 6:15pm
If it is a true MB tub and not a repop it is an early slat grill tub. (No glove box)  the one place you will have an issue is the fuel tank sump and the 2a frame if I am not mistaken.  also you will have to either body lift or cut the tunner for the t90.  and yea that is a very nice condition body if original and a shame to hack it. 

The easiest option to do a MB/2a is https://www.dlbensinger.com/index.php?cPath=55&osCsid=f7181f6754bcc359fbea7751fee754af  this is a bolt on job. 

This answers your questions on the frame issues towards the bottom. 

Edited by plowmb - 07 Sep. 2012 at 6:23pm
Glenn
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 7:49pm
If you want something that looks like a WW2 jeep to the general public, just take a 2a, put an MB grill on there, and paint it green.  Sure, a few folks who are into old jeeps will know it's not a WW2 jeep, but who cares, you don't really a WW2 jeep anyway :)  

Mine is OD green (one of the previous owner painted it this color) and I put an MB grill on it.  I've only come across one person who knew that it was a 2a (because of the tail gate and the Willys stamps on the hood and windshield).  I don't claim it to be a WW2 jeep, when ever anyone asks if it's seen action or if it's a real military jeep (and believe me, people ask all the time, daily), I tell them it's a civilian model that's been painted.  I don't put stenciled markings on it and stuff like that and try to fool anyone into thinking it's got a history, and don't ever consider taking it to a parade or car show.  But just about everyone thinks that its a WW2 jeep simply because of the color.  It's the color that does it.

I guess you need to ask yourself, how much detail do you want to get into.  For most, the OD green and the classic MB grill will be enough I think.  I don't know if 2a parts can be found cheaper than MB parts or not.

Anyway, I look forward to watching your progress!  Big smile

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 07 Sep. 2012 at 7:55pm
2a #40500
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 8:51pm
I don't know why something this cool doesn't happen closer to me................dude if the tub is reasonable buy it....That being said, since you are a newbie, if you want a 2A get a proper tub. If you want an MB buy the tub and look for a proper frame. That way you will have less conversion headaches. There aren't a lot but there are some. Purists are soiling themselves right now because of that sweet body and others are thinking "hey it's your jeep do with it as you please." If it were me.........and you don't have to do anything I say.....I would snag that body and then decide on what course you would like to pursue. I would then either use the body and make an MB or trade the body for a 2A body and make a 2A. Stuff like that doesn't come along that often. Part of the fun of all this is the "wheeling dealing."Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 10:11pm
Issues I know of... T-90 tranny will be too high for the tranny tunnel in the MB tub.
                            Shock mounts will not line up with cutouts in tthe tub floor
                            Certain body mounts will not line up
                            Gas tank well may hit mounts on the 2A frame.
                             No machine gun mount on the 2A frame to line up with the round bump in the front of the floor. Only an issue if you plan in installing the machine gun mount and gun.

All the rest of the 2A stuff should work, except seats....You will need WWII style seat frames as there is no toolbox for the right seat to mount to and the left seat has to clear the fuel tank correctly.

If it is truly a slat grille tub it could be sold for good money to buy the Mb2A tub  that is sold nowadays.  I do not see a script Ford or Willys on the left rear corner so I would check it closely for repairs done there, as well as all the extra dash holes I see. It does have the WWII toolboxes which is cool, most of the converted 2A jobs do not. The lack of a glove compartment puts it in a very specific time period, if it has always been without one. THe guys over on the g 503 board have a tub feature chart that should ba able to date that tub pretty well for ya. I don't think 1941 is correct tho.

Edited by F Bill - 07 Sep. 2012 at 10:13pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 11:46pm
More pics would help us with your situation.  I do not think it is an OEM '41 tub, a) no script markings on driver side rear b) has fuel can re-enforcement plate on driver side rear. 
.........more pics.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 12:05am
I have seen the pic that where on CL.  I think it is a repro body.  it is in too nice of shape for a slattie and there are several things that don't add up.  it should be a script willys , and the front mounts are acm2 type. (rounded not square. ) 
Glenn
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 12:18am
Tailer light pug hole, X2 what Johnny said. I do not understand why you need to install a MB-GPW grill in a 2A to make it look like a WW2 Jeep. 99.7% of the public does not know the difference, so buy a 2A, paint it OD and have fun. If you make one from two what do you have?, If you have to modify a nice MB tub to make it fit you are lessening the value of the tub and decent originals are far and few between. I am not trying to be a G503 purist but look at what the end product is, not the cheap upfront cost and base your decision on that. If the rest of the tub looks as good as what we have seen it would bring a very good price.
    FWIW, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

I do not understand why you need to install a MB-GPW grill in a 2A to make it look like a WW2 Jeep. 99.7% of the public does not know the difference, so buy a 2A, paint it OD and have fun.

Me personally, I think the MB grill and inset headlights just looks better, that's why I did it.  But you are right, when I had the factory 2a grill (also in flat OD green) I still have the same number of people asking me if it was a real army jeep, or if it ever saw action.  So you are probably right, most people don't know the difference between the grills.  It's the color that they see  LOL
2a #40500
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 12:37am
Daniel I like the look also and there is nothing wrong with that. I have a 49 2A restored and of the many comments I get on it, the most common is "those old Army jeeps are cool" or sompthing on that order. Another comment is "why did you not paint it the original color", I did (its emerald green), then " I did not realise the army painted them that color", The 99%ers do not care because all flattys are Army Jeeps to them.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Warbird Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warbird Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 1:47am
Wow! What a plethora of information! Well yes.. this tub is currently for sale on CL. More pics can be found through the link:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/3251905615.html

I'm very appreciative of all the opinions / suggestions on this matter, it definitely will help me with my decision. I'm still a little ways a way from making any deals and becoming a fully fleged Willys owner, but this is a great starting point if there ever was one! With what it sounds like, I may just have to repaint it and fool the 99%. We'll see. If I can get pics of the CJA2 I'll post them.
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 2:20am
I did a 48 2A to a 45 MB clone and every one is happy.  The owner and me.  I took it on a military vehicle caravan a month ago and all were glad to have me along.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 3:46am
   Warbird, the 99% have fooled themselves, thats the beauty it costs you less, LOL.
        Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 12:14pm
One thing I don't believe was mentioned is the gas tank itself. In addition to altering the frame mount to clear the gas tank well you'll also have to buy a military gas tank, the CJ2A tank won't fit. I agree with what others have said, that looks like an early repro tub.

By the way, that "military" jeep in the avatar to the left is a 1950 CJ3A. I don't "try to fool anyone into thinking it's got a history", it represents history. It's no different than a reenactor wearing a repro uniform and carrying a fake Thompson. He's not fooling anyone into thinking he is history, he is representing history and yes, I often do parades and veterans events, at their request.

Larry

Edited by rocketeer - 08 Sep. 2012 at 12:24pm
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 3:29pm
Very strange tub..looks almost like  the front half of a column shift 2A tub welded onto the rear half of a WWII tub. Check for a splice seam on the floor and hat channels.  The oval hole for the steering column is what makes me think that...THe early CS tub would have had tool indents...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2012 at 12:02pm
Hey don't sweat the franken jeep thing, I have one and its kinda cool because you don't care about what parts you put on it.  Its not original so you can have even more fun with it.  Mine is a 46 with a mb tub, they notched out for the shocks and cut a little bigger hole for the transmission in the hump.  I don't have the original tank sump, just a piece of sheet metal flush with the floor and a cj2a tank. 
mbatvburg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbatvburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2012 at 8:15pm
I put a gpw grill on my 46 2a and gave it a of paint job along with the appropriate stenciling. Its not a conversion or a genuine ww2 jeep. Just a 2a that will pass for reenacting. I beat it and haul people and gear. Easily switched back to the original grill.
Have fun with it
re-Padre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-Padre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 3:01am
i need 2 round six inch headlights . I went to the junkyard and all the cars have square head lights, my cj3a was alredy OD and some one gave me an MB grill,   I am a ww2 reenactor, i need blackouts but the prices are astronomical, forget about headlight buckets and brackets, its a 1950 cj3a and has a set of fairly new 700x16 military NDT   tires it doesnt run and has tranny issues , anyone near Hot Springs Ar and want to help?
allen lindquist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>