Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cj3 seat frames on a cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cj3 seat frames on a cj2a
    Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 1:22pm
Hi, new member here.  I just purchased a beautiful (almost too beautiful) cj2a that has high back bucket seats with a custom frame, and would like to go back to the more original low back seats.  The rear wheel well has already been cut out to allow for a seat set a bit further back, so the hard work is done.  My understanding is the cj3 has a bit more leg room with a slightly longer seat frame.  Will this work and if I go that route what kind of difference could I expect in the mounting?

On a side note, I learned to drive with a cj2a starting at about 6 years old sitting on my dad's lap, finally graduating to actually driving it at about 10 with the aid of a couple of cushions behind me.  There was plenty of leg room for me back then, but not so much 50 years later.
48 cj2a
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 1:31pm
2A , 3A and pre-1961 3B’s all use the basic same bolt mounting pattern.Wink
3-A/B seat frames are same O/A length as a 2A.
EDIT:
Never really swapped them around but I believe they bolt up the same except that the 2A wheelhouse is 2” longer.
On second thought I guess maybe the 2A bottoms are about 2” shorter.
I’m only 5’7” so I easily fit the 2A seats yet slightly prefer the 3A/3B frames due to design.

Edited by oldtime - 26 Oct. 2022 at 4:12pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 3:37pm
I have an M38 driver side seat frame (military equivalent to a CJ3A) in my 47 CJ2A. The outboard leg is a little longer than the frame for a CJ2A, and since your wheel houses are already cut this would allow the seat to sit back further. I haven't mounted a M38 passenger seat in a CJ2A but would expect one would need the wheel house to be notched. The wheel houses are not notched in my CJ2A I just drilled another hole for the longer leg and don't really find any issue with getting in or out of the Jeep.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 6:12pm
I bought my NOS M38 driver seat frame from QTM. They had a huge pile of them last year, and see they still have some listed in their Ebay store.

Lucky for me they are just an hour away so I was able to drive down to Georgia and pick one up. Shipping is more than the price of the seat frame.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I have an M38 driver side seat frame (military equivalent to a CJ3A) in my 47 CJ2A. The outboard leg is a little longer than the frame for a CJ2A, and since your wheel houses are already cut this would allow the seat to sit back further. I haven't mounted a M38 passenger seat in a CJ2A but would expect one would need the wheel house to be notched. The wheel houses are not notched in my CJ2A I just drilled another hole for the longer leg and don't really find any issue with getting in or out of the Jeep.

An M-38 drivers seat frame is different than a CJ3A, the front right mounting foot is completely different from a CJ3A. So keep in mind if you find standard CJ3A seat frames the fronts will bolt into the same holes as the 2A frame. Not so with the M-38 frame.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 9:38pm
Lee is correct about the front right foot on the M38 frame. I had to drill new holes for both front feet. I have never owned a CJ3A and had wrongly assumed the seat frames they made for M38 and CJ3A were the same since they were coming down the line at the same time. It seems odd that they weren't. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 9:53pm
  The M38 front floor is entirely different from all other flatfenders. Made that way for ease of “power pack” removal. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 10:51pm
I wish they had done that with the CJ2A as I am about to go through a "power pack" removal on mine to replace the transmission and transfer case.  

It is good they used the same idea on CJ5. 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2022 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I wish they had done that with the CJ2A .  

You and me both 😂

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2022 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by NFIHans NFIHans wrote:

. . .

On a side note, I learned to drive with a cj2a starting at about 6 years old sitting on my dad's lap, finally graduating to actually driving it at about 10 with the aid of a couple of cushions behind me.  There was plenty of leg room for me back then, but not so much 50 years later.

I am not able to help with seat frame question,  because I have no clue Confused   but your "side note" caught my attention though.    I have grandkids sitting in my lap these days,  cruising the woods,   and hope they learning to drive a '2A one day.

WELCOME to the forum!

In case you did not know . .  we love photos here.    We would love to see this (almost too beautiful) CJ2A.  Smile
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 10:52am
Thank you.  What is the best way to share photos?
48 cj2a
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 6:21pm
go to the forum how to page. lots of info there.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 6:56pm
Let's see if I got the photos...  My plan is to go back to the original type seats and wheels. 
48 cj2a
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 7:21pm
Your brake & clutch pedals are reversed. The raised edge should be on the inside....
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 7:36pm
Hopefully the wheelhouse was cut to accommodate the original seat frames, it would be a shame to have to cut into that beautiful jeep body. It looks very nice.

Is that a tilt front end? 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 9:16pm
Looks like a tilt front end, but that is one beauty of a Jeep, looks mighty nice under the hood.
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 9:52pm
Yes, it's a tilt front end.  The prior owner used Dzus fasteners , and it's going to have to stay like that, but I hope to find some that are a bit less obvious.  The wheel house has been shortened so the extra length of the seat frame shouldn't be a problem.  He did a very nice job with it. 

I do seem to recall the pedals on the CJ2a I learned to drive on having the lip on the inside, so I'll have to see what is involved in switching them. The motor, transfer case, brakes, and pretty much every other component has been completely overhauled, the body is all original and rust free.  It was in the family since the early 60's.  I almost feel like I should get another that I don't feel so guilty about driving it, and one that I could enjoy restoring, but I have enough on my plate and the wife wouldn't be happy.
48 cj2a
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2022 at 12:01am
Swapping the pedals is about a 30 minute job. Just remove the bolts, give them a twist and pull them out. There should be some "draft pads" with springs you will have to deal with but no big deal with that.

Very nice Jeep, even with the tilt front end modification. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>