Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cj3 seat frames on a cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2022 at 8:42am
Here is one source for Dzus fasteners. You will want to get the correct tool to use them. Flat screwdrivers tend to slip out of the slot and scratch the paint, not to mention wear out the fasteners faster. You will need a way to install the collars too. 

Edited by Jeff J - 29 Oct. 2022 at 8:45am
OffRoaderCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OffRoaderCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2022 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

2A , 3A and pre-1961 3B’s all use the basic same bolt mounting pattern.Wink
3-A/B seat frames are same O/A length as a 2A.
EDIT:
Never really swapped them around but I believe they bolt up the same except that the 2A wheelhouse is 2” longer.
On second thought I guess maybe the 2A bottoms are about 2” shorter.
I’m only 5’7” so I easily fit the 2A seats yet slightly prefer the 3A/3B frames due to design.

I'm curious.  I have the low-back seats in my CJ3B.  I use it as a daily driver and want to put in bucket seats (high back) for safety.  What bucket seats were in your CJ3A?  I am wondering what would fit in mine and haven't had much luck finding information with what people have used for bucket seats.  

Thanks,
Offroader
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 12:36am
I try to use correct Willys terms and various Jeep seat descriptions can become a can of worms.
The early 1945 to 1960-1/2 seat frames were called “1/3 type seats”. The “3B” seats after 1960-1/2 we’re called “bucket type seats”. 
Everything else except trans-model seats such as the 2/3 type seats would be aftermarket seats.
So I’m not sure what exactly you have and I am not familiar with any aftermarket seat products.
The Willys 2A, 3A and 3B 1/3 type seats all have solid metal back panels.
The bucket type seats do not have metal backpans. 
3A and early 3B seats are identical.

Edited by oldtime - 28 Nov. 2022 at 1:26am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 4:00am
IIRC, The Pinto bucket seats can be adapted to fit a 2a. The bottom cushions are taller then the 2a ones are & this severely affects leg to steering wheel clearance. If one moves the fuel tank, IIRC they work well.

I could be wrong on this since it has been a four or five decades sense I saw this done.

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 8:51am
What about something like this? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2100

It seems like that would eliminate the clearance issues. I pulled buckets from something out of my 3A because I didn’t like climbing in the jeep then stepping over or around the steering wheel to sit down. 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 11:47am
I found a pair of those Summit Seats in the parking lot at a Target store after a snow storm. They still had the receipt taped to them. I called the owner, and he said they were actually used but he taped the receipt on so he wouldn't lose it and he planned to return them. He apparently didn't like them in his 3A. Apparently disliked them so much that when they slid out of the bed of his pickup while doing donuts in the lot he didn't bother to go back and pick them up. I didn't like them either.
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 8:24am
They are Corbeau seats, black vinyl.  I'm not sure of the model of seat, but it appears that the seat frames were also custom made to fit the Jeep and the seats.  The passenger seat does not flip forward to get to the toolbox, but you can slightly lift the lid to get to things.   I have a CJ2a but the rear wheelhouse was shortened to get a little extra legroom.  The mounting seems like it is just a little bit different than the original seat frame, but not by much.

If you are interested, I no longer have a use for the frames and seats since the frame can't be used for the original low back, and I suspect it would be a fairly simple process to bolt them into you Jeep.  I'm in Michigan but I'm sure I can figure out a way to ship them.  I have the new seat cushions but still need to purchase the frames to go with.

If you would like I can get some better photos.  I have it stored up on my car hoist at the moment

You can contact me at hansp2@gmail.com
48 cj2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12