Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-3A glass fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-3A glass fuel pump
    Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 7:21pm

I've had several threads going on and fuel tank was mentioned in one of them, I think.

Thought I would just start the issue I'm having with a new thread.

Had fuel tank out for leak repair and new lines...been a slow long process.

Now I have line and tank all hooked up and what I'm seeing in my glass top fuel pump

is a chalky mix.  I have removed the glass dome and cleaned it up and the rubber gasket

it sits on. Put it back on and still the same mix.  I plan to keep repeating this until it is

clear clean fuel.  I hope I don't have to take the pump off but wanted other opinions

and any comments.  The tank fuel is clear so I  think the pump just needs flushing.

All most forgot, the fuel pump was installed about the same time the lines were.
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 2:51am
  The glass bowl on the fuel pump is on the inlet side of the pump - almost as if it were before the pump itself. Fuel passes thru the bowl, and then enters the pump chamber where the actual work is done. 
  The chalky mix can only come from two places - the tank or the line from the tank. Sounds like a filter may be needed.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 11:33pm

Thanks Bruce for your reply, While I was watching the fuel enter the FP, it looked like it rose inside

the center of the FP and then spread out evenly from the bottom of the glass Bell to the top.

In fact, I first noticed the milkiness come out of the fine wire cone and then spill over and spread to the glass area.

The tank is clean with exception of any flux used to braze the section I cut out of the bottom

of the tank.  I did cycle one more fill of the pump and it was clear until near the final filling of it.

Maybe a few more will flush whatever it has in it out.  No fuel has left the pump to the carburetor yet.

I do have a filter running horizontally from tank to the FP. and another one from the FP to the Carb.

I did replace the horz. filter since last post and fuel is clear. 
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 12:44am
  The fuel enters the bowl at the bottom, off center toward where the inlet line connects to the pump. When the fuel fills the bowl to the height of the brass screen on a pedestal in the center, it flows thru the screen and down the hollow pedestal to the inlet check valve and into the pump chamber. If you’re getting fuel coming out of the brass screen, you must have a bad inlet check valve. If air is being mixed with that fuel and you are getting aeriated fuel forced back thru the screen, I guess it could look “chalky”. 
  I love you guys that run two fuel filters. It says something about how much faith you have in the quality of the first one. LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 9:30pm

Thanks Bruce...it seems every time I read about fuel related issues, the in line filter scenario comes up:

"Make sure you put a filter between the tank and FP" and " Put a filter between FP and Carb"

So that's why I have two and the metal pedestal one in the FP. so I guess that makes three.

I posted yesterday about my Carb. suddenly releasing fuel from the cap on top of the float chamber.

Checked those 4 screws and all seemed snug, tried again and fuel started coming out from the same area again.. Watched several videos on the WO Carter and the Glass FP.

So I started taking FP off but have one more torx bolt left and I guess the Carb will be next.

Don't know what else to do at this point.

You mentioned the process by which fuel enters the Glass FP. Yesterday I blew compressed air, into
the line coming from FP to Carb. (in direction to the FP. and not much air pressure)

That chalky fluid rose up out of the pedestal, so it must be in the bottom of the FP.

I have yet to prime the FP...the pump will fill up but not enter the fuel filter before the Carb.

So fuel that is running the jeep is an overhead bottle and hose running directly to the Carb.

The bottle is from a Gatorade drink...would overhead gravity fed fuel to the Carb., be too much

for the gaskets, seals etc. in the carb and cause it to come spilling out from the float metal plate?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 10:39pm
What? The fuel pump is not currently feeding the carburetor fuel? A (clean I hope), plastic bottle is?

If so the fuel pump cannot be the issue, it is outside of your current system.

I missed seeing which carburetor you have. Is it the Carter YJ?

To answer your question, no, gravity fed fuel will not have too much pressure for your carburetor, not even if it is a Solex.

You have needle & seat valve issues. You need to pull the top off of the carburetor.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 14 Nov. 2019 at 10:41pm
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 9:00pm
The message I got from your post is you were agitated when you wrote it and I SAH was when I replied.
However I did restrain myself...WTH would I use a dirty container to feed fuel directly to my Carburetor??? If you have something against me, just don't reply. (I wrote this after I wrote what follows)

What? The fuel pump is not currently feeding the carburetor fuel? A (clean I hope), plastic bottle is?

Don't know of any other way to prime an empty FP and no fuel in the lines from the tank.

The bottle is very clean...Carb. is a WO Carter 1 barrel.

The lines from the tank to FP are intact, just the end of the line from the FP to Carb. is
not connected. When fuel starts coming out of that line, then I was going to connect it to the Carb. and disable the overhead line from the clean bottle.
The FP isn't filling the line from it to the Carb, so I don't see how it could be outside the current system of possibilities.

You need to pull the top off of the carburetor.

From what I see, you can't just pull the top off, you have to remove the whole Carb. and disassemble it.
section by section...IHTH I'm wrong but that is what the diagrams and schematics show.

To answer your question, no, gravity fed fuel will not have too much pressure for your carburetor, not even if it is a Solex.

Okay, so pull the FP and Carb. since one is not filling up all the way to fill the line to the Carb. and the other has fuel spilling out of the Float chamber Lid...right?

Edited by dodjh - 15 Nov. 2019 at 9:12pm
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 10:17pm
I am not sure how you got that I was angry with you. When I read through the thread, this is the first time it is mentioned that you were using a plastic bottle to feed the carburetor.

The fact that you have this bottle in the system changes the responses that you will get. Please always tell us everything you have changed in any system you are asking about. It helps us help you.

As to the bottle being clean, you would not believe the stuff some folks do. I have seen quite a few folks doing exactly that. Heck, some of them do not even clean the Gatorade out, they just add gasoline.

I am trying to not ASSuME that you know all the tricks that most seasoned mechanics know. Obviously you know quite a lot, but someone else who searches for, & reads this tread may not know this stuff.

The fuel pump will self prime if given the chance. Your system should work to run the engine long enough to let it prime itself. On systems that the fuel line is much longer than they are on our Jeeps, one can pressurize the fuel tank with 1 PSI of air. That is not necessary on our rigs, & it can be dangerous, I do not recommend it.

Before you pull the fuel pump, double check all of the connections to it. What you are looking for is not fuel leaks, but air leaks. You want the pump to pump fuel, not air. Look for a connection that allows air to enter the fuel stream. Since air is thinner than fuel, the fuel pump will pull air into the system if given a chance.

Here I am guessing that the "chalky fluid" is actually fuel mixed with a lot of tiny air bubbles. They would be caused by an air leak in the suction side of the fuel system.

One place to look is the glass bowl gasket. Look for nicks or cuts & be sure it is completely on its seat. Do not use any RTV on any fuel system gaskets that will be exposed to fuel. The RTV swells up & does not seal. Again, you may know this but I have seen it quite often.

One last thing, does the fuel tank have fuel in it? I have had fuel tanks that I was sure that they had at least 1/2 a tank in them be empty. This can be very frustrating.

IHTH, Cpt logger.

PS. If I am upset, I do not post. That is a hard & fast rule of mine. To be clear, I am not upset with you now, nor have I ever been.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 6:28am

Here I am guessing that the "chalky fluid" is actually fuel mixed with a lot of tiny air bubbles.

I've removed the FP and it is powdered looking residue that coats inside of bell and of FP, ....base
of pump where gasket is, also covered on top and under the rubber seal.

One last thing, does the fuel tank have fuel in it? I have had fuel tanks that I was sure that they had at least 1/2 a tank in them be empty. This can be very frustrating.

Tank is half full of fuel.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Reply Post Reply