Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CJ-7  father-son project  - started 20 years ago
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-7 father-son project - started 20 years ago

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ-7 father-son project - started 20 years ago
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 5:13am
When my oldest son was in high school,  he asked if we could build a Jeep for him.   We found a CJ-7 with "ok" body,  but the 4 cylinder engine was shot.    Then acquired another CJ-7 with decent 258,  but horrible body and frame.

2 Jeeps made one.

We originally painted it yellow,  but after he rolled it several years later,  we had to repaint.  He was attending Virginia Tech and wanted something in their colors.  He picked one that looked burgundy normally,  but orange highlights in bright sun.

Later,  the 258 suffered a cracked block when left outside with no antifreeze.  Ouch    Next up was a 360 out of '79 Cherokee.     hmm . . just noticed a pattern here,  my son messes up Jeep,  and dad helps with improvement.  LOL     

He then wanted to start doing some semi-serious off-roading,  so along came the 8274 Warn winch, NP435 tranny, twin-stick D300,  forged one-piece rear axles and detroit locker in rear.

THEN . . he got married,  and started a family.   The CJ-7 has been mostly setting in garage . .  BUT now seems to be getting interested again.   Fairly regular Jeep rides on country roads,  and some easy trails with the girls in carseats in back. . .    Hoping soon we can do some fun trails together. !!! Smile

Photo of his family arriving today for a cookout. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:17am
Tell him to get a rear cage if he's going to have kids in the back.  Flip that thing over and the kids have no overhead protection there.

Those wheels are cool but pricey! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:22am
My brother has a CJ7 - like your sons that sat for years.  It  has been showing up at my garage for maintenance lately.  We put an electronic distributor in it two weeks ago, he just ordered the cage kit and we are upgrading the power steering next.  Great to see interest in this Jeeps. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 2:32am
Just trying to sell my '79 CJ7 that my sons helped with.  As an aside, we put a roll bar out of a '94 YJ and it was a pretty easy fit.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:42am
The girls are short now,  but a rear cage is definitely something to think about as they get older.   I would think if replacing the straight angled bar with a "hoop",   then it might help a lot ->  to also have a crossbar.  

His does have a cage in front,  which may have helped prevent some injury when he did his slow roll.   The passenger fender,  hood, and windshield frame where a mess though. Ouch

edit:  I was curious to see how high the girl's heads were,  the next time I saw them in it,   then I remembered I had another photo,  more from the side.

If rolled on a flat surface,  they "might" be ok,   but again,  this is definitely something we need to think about.

Edited by JeepFever - 25 May 2020 at 5:02am
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:54am
A cage from a '92-'95 Wrangler would fit but it would need a cross bar at the top/back to be better protection.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Those wheels are cool but pricey!  

He debated on those for literally 2 years,  but finally pulled the trigger.    He somewhat rationalized his decision because he saved a lot on the tires. LOL   Only $60 ea  (his wife works for Michelin/BFG,  and got a huge discount.)

D.O.T. approved bead-locks.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

A cage from a '92-'95 Wrangler would fit but it would need a cross bar at the top/back to be better protection.

That would be my thought also.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

My brother has a CJ7 - like your sons that sat for years.  It  has been showing up at my garage for maintenance lately.  We put an electronic distributor in it two weeks ago, he just ordered the cage kit and we are upgrading the power steering next.  Great to see interest in this Jeeps. 

Cool . .   another one coming out of hiding. :-)    
 Post Reply Post Reply