Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cjs cj rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 7:58am
It's great to watch your progress, well done!  Looks like your little guy was enjoying his ride with dad and grandpa ... he'll have a pretty cool ride to drive to school one of these days.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 7:28pm
Keep at it man. I'm trying to get out wheeling later this month. I'll let you know. If yours isn't ready, you're welcome to tag along and ride with me. 
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2018 at 2:46am
Yea the wiring was pretty bad, nothing really worked except what was needed to run the engine.  The headlights and plow light did work at one point but that was years ago.  I do a lot of wiring on boats so hopefully the complicated systems on the 2A shouldn't take me to long. LOL.
  Minnow, the only thing that may hold me up is tires.  Mine are unknown age, I know they haven't been changed in the 30+ years I know of and I don't even have a spare.  But keep me posted and we will see how it goes.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2018 at 8:03pm
Started on the re-wire.  Pulled the battery by removing the plywood, zipties and electrical wire that was the hold down.  Once removed I saw why it was being used.

I was planning on using a different tray anyway but I didn't think it was going to be that bad.  But it makes sense now, the only bad spot on the frame is directly below the battery.  The dripping acid over the years took its toll.  Luckily the frame doesn't look nearly as bad as the tray.  The supports and perimeter were still in decent shape so I cleaned up, primed, and painted.  I installed the new tray right on top with new battery cables.  I ran a short cable to the rear of the original battery bracket then another length to the side of the block where the starter mounts.  New positive right to the foot switch.  My voltage regulator had also gone out, new reg was like $60-70 so brought mine to a starter alternator shop we use for work and got a new 65 amp single wire for $100.  I had to space out the pulley to get the belt alignment close.

I also received the new headlight, turn signal, hi/low, and brake switches to wrap up the wiring.  I added a fuse block under the dash to run everything off of.  The engine side of the electrical is done minus a little heat shrink tube needed at the terminals.  I always seem to have every size but the one I need.

I still need to figure out what to do about the tail lights.  The stock ones are pretty small and I don't care for how far they stick out, so looking at either smaller or some sort of flush mount lights.  Anyone have suggestions?   
  After that its back to the leaking circ pump (on order), replacing the exhaust system (just arrived), address the leaking transfer case, replace the leaking master cylinder, and get new tires.  So I am quickly learning that the jeep will be like the house, the projects never end. LOL.  
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 1:54am
Put a little dent in some of the work needed.  Installed the new exhaust system, pretty straight forward only had to mess with some of the "universal" hangers back at the muffler.  Its so quite now.  New circ pump installed.  Broke one of the bolts in the block but luckily it was a pretty easy extraction.  It also helped my slightly off pulley alignment with the alternator.
  One major hurdle in my opinion completed was I now have a new title in my name and current registration.  A little bit of a paper work mess but not to bad, just glad I was able to get all cleared in my name.  It had not been registered since 1983 and I it did not have a title since it was so old.
  I also found out why my taillights were buzzing every time I hit the switch.

LOL

So I got the old tailights working as I am still not sure what I would like to do about them, so the cheapest thing was to replace the sockets/bulbs and secure the lenses.  I had also ran all new wiring throughout the jeep.

Also got the headlights done

I know its not factory but went with the Omix turn signal kit and I also added a small tach.  I am not used to what a 4 cyl flat head sounds like, and with a low redline would like a little reference.  On a good note it idles great right around 650rpm.

Still need to replace the leaking master cylinder, seal the leaking transfer case, and need tires bad.  Now with it registered I got brave and took it out of the neighborhood and yea, 3rd gear at speed is a little sketchy.  Definitely tires and possibly some steering repairs.
  But its a fun project and my kids ask me just about every day to go for a ride, and they dont have to twist my arm much for me to say yes.  
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:10am
Well I got a little time so I started to tear into the leaking transfer case.  It came apart pretty easy.  Will be replacing the front and rear output shaft seals, took off the rear output housing to get a broken speedometer cable out and will clean and re-seal the shims (looked like it was leaking there also).  At the same time will install new speedometer cable and emergency brake cable.  The e brake shoes don't look to worn they were just soaked in gear lube.  Will also clean and paint some parts as they go back together.  Hope to get it wrapped up in a couple weeks.

Well lubricated e brake

The rear companion flange felt seal flange looks damaged/ deformed.  

So until parts come in just the cleaning and painting.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:39am
Awesome progress Clap
Thanks for sharing 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 3:26am
Well still been picking away at the jeep as time allows.  Replaced the leaking master cylinder and re-adjusted the brakes.  Finally tackled the oil change, yea I know not much of a challenge but I was scared of what I would find.  Couldn't just pull the oil filter out due to all the sludge in the housing, it was pretty bad.  Made me nervous enough to drop the oil pan and check.  Some sludge on the bottom but much better than I was expecting after the filter housing.  I literally had to scoop out the bottom inch or two of the housing.  The pan, what I would consider normal, 1/8" sludge on the bottom.  Cleaned up the pan and oil pump pick up.  Spun the crank around to check out the cylinders and they looked pretty good.  Definitely has some mileage but nothing to be concerned about.

Got 4 new tires, went with Deestone 503 7.00X16.  Good fit and installed them myself with tubes.  I did have to bring them down the street to get balanced.  They took a lot of weight.

Other than that just been driving it around more and more to get some confidence in her.

Edited by cjs cj - 15 July 2018 at 3:28am
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 7:40am
It's progress!  Yay!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 7:13pm
I have still been picking away at the jeep.  I picked up a roll bar over the weekend, for the price and location of it I couldn't pass it up.  Test fit pic below

I have also been still tossing around what to do about seats.  The floor mats on the metal pans are getting a little uncomfortable.  So I cleaned up the rear seat which I believe is original and tried to match the color.  No such luck at the couple of stores I went to, so I just picked up some black vinyl for now and will make my own inexpensive cushions until I decide what I would like to do long term. Pic of back seat, left cleaned, right side still dirty.

Other than that I have been trying to drive it as much as possible to gain some confidence in the mechanical's.  She has been running well with no issues around town.  I also think I solved my front turn signal problem.  I replaced the parking light sockets to accept a dual filament bulb but then the bulb stuck out just a little to far to put the lens back on.  So I ordered another pair of trim rings and will stack two together per side.  Hope it looks OK, will post pic when they come in.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 7:59pm
Everything looks good to me. About rollbars, I was doing the body work on my 3B and I pulled the rollbar and did a fair amount of work to it. I feel better about it now. I have a few friends that ended up using theirs and all came through it fine and I have never needed mine. It is sort of stuck in my mind as my sister in law was out driving a few days ago and she got T boned. She rolled twice in their Subaru. I suppose there is a reason I got rid of my motorcycles a few years back, lots of idiots out there.
uncamonkey
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 8:34pm
I like your project, love the look! Thumbs Up 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:17am
  I hear you on the idiot drivers out there.  I know the roll bar is not stock but where I live the streets are busy and the drivers never seem to be paying attention.  So I hope to never need it but at least it may give me a chance if someone is not paying attention.  What still scares me is the windshield, that tubing is pretty small. 
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 4:12pm
So I couldn't decide on what to do about seats so I went the least expensive route.  Bought about $35 worth of vinyl and put some together.  They are a slight improvement over the metal pans and floor mats I was using but still not great.  I am leaning towards trying to keep original seats and not go with something new/aftermarket.  If that decision stays I will redo in the future with better foam. 

I also got the second set of parking light bezels in so I installed the front parking lights.  I replaced the socket with one that will take an 1157 bulb for turn and park.  I had to stack the bezels to get the clearance needed for the larger bulb.  

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2018 at 3:58am
I know you did the turn signals, but here's and idea from what i did.
Put a three-way switch on the dash, and made the high-beam light a turn signal indicator.

cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:46am
So I haven't forgotten about the jeep, just actually been driving it and not working on it much.  I have put probably 500 miles or so on it.  Drive it whenever I can, need to go to the store?  Take the jeep.  Kids want to go to the neighborhood park?  Take the jeep.  Its been fun driving it around and I now feel pretty confident in the drivetrain.  So now its time to tackle the body.  The hat channels are gone, floor panels are gone, along with many other issues.  I have been learning/ practicing welding to be able to do this myself.  I am sure it will not be professional quality but it will be fun for me.  The plan is in the next month or so remove the body from the frame then hopefully 2-3 months of work and then back together.  As long as life doesn't get in the way.  Still undecided on how far to go paint wise.  I do like the patina look it has but there is so much damage on the underside I don't think I can repair it and not paint it to have it look right.  Some shiny new repair panels next to 70 year aged, dented, slightly rusted panels?  We will see.  I will try and keep the posts updated along the way.  Wish me luck.

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 3:02am
Good luck. None of this Jeep stuff is particularly hard. With the wealth of information here you will be all right.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 3:15pm
   High-5 on the wiring !

I grew-up in a '53 Willys pickup, but was not allowed to drive until age 16, in 1967, then that pickup chased bunches of rabbits and girls.
So because of that, I allowed my son to drive my CJ as soon as his feet could reach the pedals, age 8 thereabouts.

What i saw growing up, was that the old-guys who owned "jeeps" (willys) would divorce their wife before they would cut-loose of their Jeep. My dads old hunting buddies still had their jeeps when they passed away, and that is "dedication" to a brand.    right !
   I drug home my grandfather's old horse-drawn hay rake a few years back from my dad's place, and still need to move the sickle mower.

That Willys has some good Patina, and many stories.

W
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>