Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning coolant passages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulson1948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning coolant passages
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 8:42pm
Hi all!!

The motor I'm putting together hasn't been ran for a few years now & mice moved in and made it their home for awhile.  I've vacuumed, Blew out, & now pouring 5 gallon buckets of water down thru it.  Head & manifolds are off and sitting on engine stand.  I just want to prevent any clogged ports & overheating.   
Do I pour acetone thru it like I am water? 
Any words of advice are appreciated!!  
This is not a complete rebuild, I just want it to run good enough to get around.  Saving that motor for my next project.  
Thank you! 

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 9:16pm
I’ve had good results with a pressure washer and some degreaser, I pull the water pump off and hit it from the front too. Just be sure you get the cylinders and valves dried out and oiled when you’re done.
I don’t think acetone is necessary and wouldn’t recommend it. If it has a buildup of oil in the water jacket a degreaser will probably take care of it.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 9:48pm
I use a "sock" of screen door material in the upper radiator hose (as it connects to the radiator). This catches loose debris and detritus before it gets into the radiator core, and is an easy spot to check/clean the sock.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 10:31pm
Perhaps some white vinegar run thru also?  Have heard of pantyhose material used around around top inlet to the radiator to trap loose debris, rust flakes, etc
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply