Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cliffhanger Trail in Moab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cliffhanger Trail in Moab
    Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 6:42pm
My wife and I were in Moab on Friday.  We recognized the Bam Bam Jeep in a parking lot that we have watched on You Tube.  We stopped to check it out and up walked Jeff.  After a brief conversation, he invited us to join him, Stan and Greg on the Cliffhanger trail at 7:30 a.m. Saturday.  We got up early and drove "Pepe" our little 1942 MB down from Monticello to Moab to meet up.  It was an extraordinary day and a pleasure getting some "rock cred" with these three.  

Edited by eugenethejeep - 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:13am
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 7:12pm
Awesome pics 
Thanks for sharing Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 8:17pm
I’m traveling home, but here are a few teaser shots till I can compile some video:

even ran into some Qwaaazy 8’s on the way home!

Edited by jpet - 23 Apr. 2018 at 1:14pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 8:20pm

Edited by jpet - 22 Apr. 2018 at 8:24pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 9:58pm
Jeff meeting Ted and his wife for the 1st time in Moab and them driving up and running Cliffhanger with us the next day was awesome. Having Greg from RME4x4.com in his yellow 2A along with Jeff and I made for the perfect group. 

Here's the trail head sign behind that old rusty jeep.

Here's a cool MB added to the picture.

There is no way these cell phone pics can even scratch the surface of the beauty of this place. At this particular spot I had to stop my jeep and catch my breath because the grandeur of the sight before me took my breath away.

Hard to see all 4 of the jeeps here,but they aren't really the stars of the show anyway.

Jeeps in the same spot, but I'm on the other side. If you look really closely you can see Greg looking at his phone. That's because he's controlling his drone with it. Hopefully we'll get to see some awesome drone footage when he gets time to go through it.

Jeep hasn't moved, but I did again. You can see the Colorado River hundreds of feet below.

Here's a little video I shot while sitting on the edge of the cliff there at the overlook. 

More videos and pics to come as we all have time to go through our stuff.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 1:15am
You guys were back in Moab again?  Weren't you just there a month ago? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

You guys were back in Moab again?  Weren't you just there a month ago? 
Lucky there is no limit

I’m home safely. I’ll post some video tomorrow.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:07am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Lucky there is no limit

No, but I'm now overflowing with envy!  Cry  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:24am
This was honestly one of the best Moab trips I've had in YEARS.... I'm grateful to Stan for the invite and to Jeff, Ted & Carrie for the great experience! This was the first Moab trip for my '48 CJ2a, 'Ole Yeller'... I've had it for a couple years and have slowly been getting it ready.

Edited by Greg@RME - 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:28am
RME4x4.com - 4x4 Forum of the Rockies
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:30am
Wow gorgeous pictures. Great to see Stan has a roll bar.
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:34am
Speaking of which...did any of you guys ever feel like you actually NEEDED a roll bar?  Were you glad to have them or would you have rather done without?  Great trip...once again!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:38am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Speaking of which...did any of you guys ever feel like you actually NEEDED a roll bar?  Were you glad to have them or would you have rather done without?  Great trip...once again!

There was a point yesterday at the end of the trail where I wished I had a full roll cage and a 5 point harness! Ted or Jeff may have a photo... LOL    Resize by dragging with the right mouse button.

Edited by Greg@RME - 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:50am
Rock Cred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:48am
Sorry, Greg, I did not get a photo but I did see it!  As far as the roll bar goes, Jeeping with experienced drivers, such as these, makes obstacles less daunting.  Good spotters are a big help and you only need a roll bar if you roll over.  I do have a roll bar but the timing of this run did not allow me to install it.  My Jeep is used on our little farm as a tractor most of the time and the roll bar gets in the way.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:57am

Speaking of which...did any of you guys ever feel like you actually NEEDED a roll bar? ......
I never felt like I “needed” a roll bar, but I would not have attempted some of the optional obstacles without one.... then again, maybe I would.

Originally posted by Greg@RME Greg@RME wrote:

There was a point yesterday at the end of the trail where I wished I had a full roll cage and a 5 point harness!
If this is what you are talking about, it didn’t look as bad as it felt.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:06am
Greg,
Amazing pics as usual.

Tom, 
Roll bar - hmmmm.... I only have it cuz my jeeping dad, Brian, made it and installed it for me. It would just be rude if I didn’t keep it. I felt a little squeamish on a few off camber spots, but I never felt in danger of getting more than one, or maybe two tires off the ground except when I “turtled” a time or two when all 4 tires where off the ground. Just needed a little push to get back on the ground.

Edited by smfulle - 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:18am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:06am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Greg@RME Greg@RME wrote:

There was a point yesterday at the end of the trail where I wished I had a full roll cage and a 5 point harness!

If this is what you are talking about, it didn’t look as bad as it felt.

Boy, you're right.... it felt like I was inches from going over!!

I'm glad you got the pic, when I stopped I thought about  hanging out and posing for a photo but the engine was still running and I was worried about oil pressure, so I backed out. It was pretty funny, I was working on the ledge and everything felt great, then all of a sudden the passenger front reached for the sky! Even funnier was backing down, changing my line a little bit and then driving right up!

Thanks for the pics!!

Edited by Greg@RME - 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:08am
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:18am
Greg, I've never been near that tipped up and can only imagine what it must have felt like.  Without a seat belt a guy might slide right out. 

Stan, we're all glad that your "jeep dad" Brian is looking out for you.  We know you can't be trusted playing all on your own!Wink

Tom
1949 CJ3A

Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:23am

Greg, I've never been near that tipped up and can only imagine what it must have felt like.  Without a seat belt a guy might slide right out. 

It felt real bad... the pic doesn't do it justice! I've been wheelin in Moab for a long time, have flopped rigs before. For 2 seconds I thought I was going over! Being that this was my first Moab trip with my CJ2A, I realize there's a learning curve getting to know how it works in certain situations.... this one just snuck up on me!

It's a good thing I put seat belts in a couple weeks ago!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>