Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cliffhanger Trail in Moab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:52am
Originally posted by eugenethejeep eugenethejeep wrote:

.  My Jeep is used on our little farm as a tractor most of the time and the roll bar gets in the way.

What do you use the little boom for on the front of your tractor??
Also are those mutt axles?
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:54am
My recommendation would be to NOT roll off those cliffs, with, or without a cage and seatbelts
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:15pm
Greg, you pictures are amazing!! Did you get one of BAM BAM from this perspctive?

... looks like Stan is driving right off the Cliff!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Greg, you pictures are amazing!! Did you get one of BAM BAM from this perspctive?

... looks like Stan is driving right off the Cliff!!

Thanks Jeff!

Let me see what I have.

The rest of my pics from the weekend (Moab Rim, the Pickle) are here - https://greg-catherine.smugmug.com/Travel/April-2018-RME-Trip-Moab-Utah/

RME4x4.com - 4x4 Forum of the Rockies
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:52pm
Thanks Greg,

Now we need to see some of you going up the Waterfall!

Here is a video from Ted and Carrie:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Thanks Greg,

Now we need to see some of you going up the Waterfall!

Here is a video from Ted and Carrie:

I'll see who had pics from my waterfall climb and share them.

That footage and editing from Ted and Carrie is great, they really captured how challenging it was! My GoPro footage turned out horrible, for some reason the mount I used caused a lot of the camera vibrating, making noise and a very bumpy picture. :(

I will admit that I feel like that wasn't my smoothest driving, I know I need deeper low range gearing for the rocky Moab trails.... and power steering sure would be nice. If I added those things, I'd be a lot happier with how it worked on the trail. A front locker would be nice, too... LOL
Rock Cred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 6:45pm
The boom is a tool bar that I built for hauling fire wood to our hunting camp fire. A really big fire. It also is used for the tow bar. Here at home it is used to push vehicles or hoist engines and it even has an extension that I have used to pull engines with. This Jeep is used to get our winters fire wood and the winch and front bar come in handy. I made the ring on the end of the cable, it will fit over a 2" ball, it will grab the cable, it will hook on a bumper, it will grab a chain or a tow hook and it has grapple hooks for grabbing logs. This Jeep is my little buddy.
   The front axel is an open dana 30 with cherokee outers and the rear is a stock open 44 with cherokee front brakes and you might have noticed the smaller bolt pattern 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 10:43pm
Wow, really great photos!  I cant wait to get out to Moab again sometime soon.

Great video too!  I will need to put this trail on my list - with a few upgrades to my jeep before I make an attempt.

Dave

Edited by dluber - 23 Apr. 2018 at 11:51pm
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 4:00am
The documentation of this little adventure keeps me refreshing my screen eagerly awaiting new posts. It looks to me like an impromptu trip to Moab turned into a great day on the trail in every aspect. As the fantastic pictures convey, Cliffhanger is another one of those iconic Moab trails that has both spectacular scenery and some challenging obstacles. Jeff, I am glad that you finally got to do the Cliffhanger trail and that the experience was shared with such a great group of flatties and friends. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

The documentation of this little adventure keeps me refreshing my screen eagerly awaiting new posts.....

Grab a chair:

Greg also shot some drone footage that I expect to be incredible!

Quote ....Jeff, I am glad that you finally got to do the Cliffhanger trail and that the experience was shared with such a great group of flatties and friends. 
Thanks Brian, The scenery on this trial is an absolute miracle and once again, you have to earn mother earth's respect before she unlocks her secrets. I will advise the readers that if you didn't like Black Bear and the steps, you really won't like this trail. It was also amazing to me the way Stan and I got to meet Ted and Carrie. Simple timing and coincidence. I'm also very happy to have finally met Greg@RME and to have some new friends in the Qwaaazy 8's. I expect we will be wheeling together much in the future.

So glad that Stan was able to join me! What a gr8 guy gr8 jeep and gr8 friend!!.... he is Qwaaazy!!!

I'm certainly going to do this trail more times in the future but I'm very happy to have finished old business. New Business: Pritchett Canyon, Rusty Nail, Helldorado. Some will tell me they can't be done in a flatty with NDTs.... I don't believe it.

Edited by jpet - 24 Apr. 2018 at 11:58am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 3:24pm
Fabulous video Jeff.
This was a most amazing and enjoyable trip. Four flat fenders and drivers working together to get through a really tough trail. Each machine had a little different set up and required a little different driving technique. We, for the most part, couldn't bull our way through, we had to pick and stack and think our way through. It was really, really fun.
As Jeff said, the beauty of the place is miraculous. I was in the leading jeep and at one point when we were driving right on the cliff's edge and the amazing view was spread out all below us, I literally had to stop my jeep and get out and catch my breath, not from the danger, but from the overwhelming beauty that was laid out before me in every direction. 
Photos don't even come close to matching the live version.  

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:15pm
Yea, that was a really nice video, Jeff! 

Greg, I have radials too.  Can I ask what tire pressure you run on these trails and what you run normally on the road?

And, are Ted's jeep and Greg's jeeps still Willys engine and drive train?  Do you guys have lockers and lower than normal gearing?

Thanks!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Rock Cred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:24pm
As Jeff said, the meeting in Moab was a quirk of fate and it lead to the most amazing trail run we have had in years.  This experience sets the high standard of how a trail run should be.  This type of camaraderie and friendship should be experienced by everyone, and the fact that there were four Willys in the group certainly improved the flavor of the trail.  Looking forward to many more runs like this in the future.  Thank you for the invite!  

Ted and Carrie ") (and Ollie!)
Rock Cred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Cred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:27pm
My little Jeep, "Pepe", has a 2.3 liter Ford engine (with a carburetor), a C4 automatic transmission and a bone stock 26 tooth Dana 18 transfer case.  The front axle is a modified Dana 30 with 5.38 gears and open differential.  The rear axle is a tapered axle 44 with 5.38 gears, of course, and an open differential.  
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 12:56am
Jeff,

Great video and it looks like you all had a great time.

Dave
Greg@RME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg@RME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:07am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

... Greg, I have radials too.  Can I ask what tire pressure you run on these trails and what you run normally on the road?

And, are Ted's jeep and Greg's jeeps still Willys engine and drive train?  Do you guys have lockers and lower than normal gearing?

Thanks!

I was running 12 PSI for the trails last weekend, I wanted to go a little lower to 9-10 PSI but didn't want to loose any more ground clearance. I had a little sidewall buldge and the tires had some give on the rocks, but less pressure would have made for more traction and a better ride. I'll run 20-25 PSI on the road, usually don't drive it very far though.... just around town.

I'm running a Buick Oddfire V6 with the T90 and Dana 18.... LockRite in the rear, t-case gearing is stock as well as axle gears at 5.38's. I could use deeper low range gearing, I was bouncing over rocks and ledges when I should have been crawling. The Buick has just enough torque at idle that it will keep running over MOST rocks, but if you give it any gas, it's too much wheel speed. I will be pulling the trigger on a TeraLow for the Dana 18 real soon here.

I had so much fun last weekend, I have another project 'crawler' Willys but it's a long way from being done. I think I'll be modifying Ole Yeller for more Moab trail time. ;)

Edited by Greg@RME - 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:12am
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 2:16am
Excellent, thanks a lot!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 9:23pm
This was a well documented ride. 
Here's kind of a silly video with 3 different views of Grampa's Jeep climbing the main Cliffhanger obstacle. The funny part comes at the end when my GoPro got knocked off it's mount by the rock face. I Had even moved it from it's usual place on the side mirror to a spot on the windshield frame, but I really had to hug the wall to get up this obstacle and the camera hit the rock and went flying over the top of me and into the passenger footwell.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>