Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clip on WILLYS step

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I was thinking about this the other day and thought a horse stirrup might also be used.  

They are out there...many different styles and many different companies selling them. Wink
Image result for stirrups jeep step  

SADDLE UP THE WILLYS FESTUS!
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2020 at 11:30pm
Well there ya go! I’ll weld them....you can plasti-dip them. That saves me the hour I spend curing rubber strips and glueing them! Sounds like a win-win! 

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Great idea and great execution. My only concern is it might scratch the paint..

Another thought on the subject ....they could be painted ( or dipped) with rubber tool hand coating to prevent scratches.

davemacinnh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davemacinnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2020 at 11:42pm
Are you guys for real? 
Put a sock over it to prevent scratching??
Plasti dip it??? 
Make it rated for 300lbs yet able to fold up and put in your wallet???

No one listens and everyone complains these days. This is pretty pathetic 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 1:19am
Originally posted by davemacinnh davemacinnh wrote:

No one listens and everyone complains these days. This is pretty pathetic 

Who do you think isn't listening?....

My Plasti-Dip comment was just a suggestion to drm101....I actually like Seth's use of rubber (or maybe even paint them with plasti-dip for corrosion protection AND use the rubber strips)

Here's what I think is "pathetic" .... somebody actually getting their knickers in a twist because somebody wanted to protect their paint job!

Seth has a very good design and executed it well.

drm101 mentioned stirrups, I showed him where to find some....just helping. NO DISRESPECT MEANT TO SETH, its just how threads tangent off sometimes.

He mentions paint concerns, I suggested a fix....just helping. NO DISRESPECT MEANT TO SETH.

Please enlighten me as to what is so "pathetic"....Some people put a lot of time and effort into their project and I see no reason to call someone pathetic because they want to take care of their stuff.

Just because its a JEEP doesn't mean some people care anything about ruining something they have worked hard on.

Seth, if you were offended by a suggested change I am very sorry for that...was not my intentions...was just continuing the thread.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 12:28pm
Hey Dave Mac, chill out my friend.  Like Roc said there was no disrespect in our comments.  I believe enough in seth's design that I ordered one from him.  Seth took my first recommended change and did it, and sold a few more steps with larger foot plates.  My suggestion for making the foot plate fold up against the shaft wasn't to put it in my wallet, it was to see if he could make it lay flatter once removed from the side of a Jeep and laid on the back floor.  We are simply offering ideas to the maker for him to consider.  We are not slamming his product.  Quite the opposite.  We support what he's made.  

Have you bought one of his steps yet???
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 2:39pm
I tried the stirrups that were attached to webbing and clipped over the door opening, problem was that the webbing really pivoted when try to get aboard.  So what about combining your design with a plastic stirrup bolted to the 1 inch tubing. Probably need to bolt direct at the bottom and use a spacer at the top of the stirrup

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 3:03pm
I guess basically we need to let Seth make what he makes.

If he wants to offer changes he changes.....if a committed buyer wants something different then they could agree or disagree on changes and/if it would affect the price.

My coating comment was more for when it was sliding/bouncing around in the floor of the Jeep ( like Mike mentioned) than the actual hanging...I think the rubber strips would handle that part just fine.

Oh well....have a good day folks.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 1:38am
Perhaps If 10 people were asking for these I may consider changing the design.... also, the original smaller, shorter step takes up a lot less space when being stored but still helps you get in and can’t hold a lot of weight....something to consider. And as far as the coatings go. I can do paint with protective rubber strips or leave it primed or bare steel if you have some special rubberized coating you would like. I could sell Bare steel steps cheaper for sure! Other than that I don’t think enough people actually. Want/need a step to get too fancy with it. I initially made these to help an elderly friend of mine. I did that and also sold a few on top of that so I’m happy. If someone else needs one I’ll make a few more. Not trying to make a business out of it but if I can help people get in their Jeeps why not! 😆 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 12:43pm
Mine showed up in the mail yesterday and I went out to the shop to try it out. That's when I made an obvious discovery that I had not even considered before.  On my M38 I carry tools in the tool rack on the side of the Jeep.  Guess what.  The step does not work over tools in the tool rack.  Works great on the driver's side.  Hhhmmm.  Now contemplating what to do so I can use the step on the passenger side.  I only need it there when we are riding trails that are too narrow to keep the Jeep step on.  Like the UTV trails in the Black Hills.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
davemacinnh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davemacinnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 1:07pm
If you are taking your step off, take the tools off. Problem solved.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2020 at 1:25pm
Yeah...this step utilizes the flat surface of the tub side.... a different design would be needed in order to work with pioneering tools. I do believe it would work just fine with just took indents but no tools. I’m sorry I wasn’t aware that you needed it tow work with tools. 

Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Mine showed up in the mail yesterday and I went out to the shop to try it out. That's when I made an obvious discovery that I had not even considered before.  On my M38 I carry tools in the tool rack on the side of the Jeep.  Guess what.  The step does not work over tools in the tool rack.  Works great on the driver's side.  Hhhmmm.  Now contemplating what to do so I can use the step on the passenger side.  I only need it there when we are riding trails that are too narrow to keep the Jeep step on.  Like the UTV trails in the Black Hills.  
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by davemacinnh davemacinnh wrote:

If you are taking your step off, take the tools off. Problem solved.

Unless of course the tools are there for a reason other than for show Wink
Glen
49 CJ3A
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 12:10am
Sent you a PM, i want the longer version. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2020 at 10:41am
Seth,
The steps work great! Nice job.
Nice meeting you guys at the PA ride.
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by WKWillys WKWillys wrote:

Seth,
The steps work great! Nice job.
Nice meeting you guys at the PA ride.
John

Awesome! Good to hear! Nice meeting you as well! 

I’ve got one step left if anyone wants it. Thanks! 
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 1:57pm
Can your steps handle 250-300#?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 2:02pm
Absolutely! We've tested them with an "ample" jeep friend... lol. The step didnt waver a bit! 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Absolutely! We've tested them with an "ample" jeep friend... lol. The step didnt waver a bit! 

Yeah, but how does the Willys sheet metal handle it? Will it bend over time?

If the welds are good that step should handle at least 1,000 lbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>