Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch fork install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch fork install
    Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 12:06am

Got my bell housing back on and transmission bolted up and and now I'm trying to install the clutch fork. I've done some searching on the site and found a few post about the subject, but still can't accomplish the install of the fork. I've taken the inspection plate off and can push the carrier forward, but can't get the fork to slide on the pivot point and also the tool that I'm using to push the carrier forwad is in the way of the fork. There has to be something I'm not doing right. Any help will greatly be appreciated. My jeep is a 53 3A.

Allen Fabre
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 2:19am
http://thecj2apage.com/forums/flywheel-and-clutch-install_topic15770.html

Scroll down and there are two pictures of either side of the carrier bearing.  This may help you visualize what you can't see.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 4:09am
I have tried to install the fork after the bellhousing and it is HARD. My hands are too large to manipulate through the inspection hole and lever the throwout forward without losing a finger.
I think if you can get it behind the throwout bearing first, then try to lever it over the ball stud, or bite the bullet and put it on first, then line things up through the inspection hole.
BOULDER 48 2A
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 4:12am
Allen... It's a pain. I've found it easier to get the fork in place on the fork's pivot ball when the transmission is about 2-1/2" to 3" out of the bell housing (i.e. before the transmission is bolted up). And, this means doing it on a lift with the transmission supported on a stand. Once the fork is in place, the throw-out bearing housing will hold it in place (via its spring) and you then just push the transmission in, bolt it up, and you're done. Getting your hand in there is a squeeze, but it's definitely doable.  ..R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2011 at 4:34pm
  I had the same problem.  I finally took it back out and mated the tranny and bell housing, installed the throw out bearing and intalled it as a unit.   Leave the motor mounts off and lower motor as far as it will go and you will have enough room to install the top  bell housing bolts.

JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2011 at 1:49pm
I've done it twice. If you have large hands ( bigger than mine) have a friend with smaller hands help. Work the fork down in behind the throwout bearing with it pushed forward. Not too far forward or the return spring will be damaged.  Cuss at least 2 or three times while you get the fatigue out of your hand.  You can have your helper reach in through the cable hole to help hold it up on the cable area with a wire or some device you come up with. That part helped get it in the right orientation to eventually  slip on while your one hand does the rest.  I go out of my way to not do it if possible. Putting the bell on the motor with the rest assembled isn't easy either, and be carefull you don't drop the engine off or down on you or someone else. Ouch John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2011 at 1:15am

Success with the clutch fork. I had my cousin come over and I loosened the four bolts holding the tranny to the bell housing and slid the tranny backwars an inch or so. This gave me the room I needed to get the clutch fork on. It was tough but I got er done!!!!!!

Allen Fabre
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2011 at 6:57pm
It can be done through the inspection cover. it's not easy, but can be done. I had to flip my release bearing carrier 180 degrees and had to pop the fork off first. be patient you will be able to do it.
taf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 8:28pm
While trying to re-install my clutch fork, I came acrross your post from 2011 here about pulling the transmission back out 2.5" - 3" for better access.  I tried it and that truly made it easy.  Getting the fork in for one, and then while there's all that room, it's relatively easy to get the clutch cable ball end into the fork.  The last time we did this it took hours.  This way was just a few minutes.  So, if you're suffering a clutch fork install, using @JeepRoger's  method might set you free. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 10:39pm
X2. I did my first one this way recently and it was painless.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:25am
Yes it can be done, when I first built the jeep a friend was over sitting in the jeep and when he was sitting there he was pushing the clutch in and out ( and making motor noises ) we heard a pop, the ball pulled through the clutch fork, the look on his face was priceless, I was able to reach in and remove it through the inspection hole and install the new replacement , its not easy and i did drop it a couple of times and using a magnet to fish it out, I also used a long pair of needle nose plyers to push the release bearing forward while I slipped the fork in place.
Just recently I repaired my transmission and I decided to mount up the bellhousing first then the transmission and installed the fork again through the inspection hole .
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 10:03am
I recently installed though the cover, and with the advice from a fellow member it was easier than getting it out.
Drill a small hole on the top and tie a peice of string or floss to it, then you can get it mounted properly and once its seated pull the string or cut the floss off with a razor
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
 Post Reply Post Reply