Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch lever inferance ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch lever inferance ?
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:15pm
SO today I am working under CHUG trying to figure out where I can mount some rock slider mounts to the frame while keeping it out of the way of the clutch linkage.

I get my fancy clutch linkage and quicky slide it together and hold it up to the frame. And it looks like not only do I have to worry about the Rock slider mount but I think the arm is going to hit the section of "Hat Channel" that extends out under the Toe Board Gusset.

I see a couple of drawings on line that show the flange on the hat channel cut back some. As I used 1" x 2" rectangular tubing instead of Hat Channel I didn't think I would have to worry about this.

So my question for anyone that knows. How narrow does the Hat Channel need to be in this area to clear the Clutch Pedal Arm?

Since the body will soon be coming back off the Chassis and on to the rotisserie I can use a cut off wheel to notch this area and then weld in a Plug. I'll have to redo a little of the PC-7 sealers I have on the Hat Channel to Tub joints but not much.

It would just help to know how much to cut out.

ALWAYS SOMETHING WHEN YOU GO CUSTOM.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 7:56pm
I'm going to have to check mine in that spot too. I used .75x1.5 or x2, and I'm looking to install some discrete rock sliders as well.

I went heavy on the hat channel replacement because I wanted to be able to actually stand on that step.

Can you post a pic of where you think you'll have problems?

Les

Edited by LesBerg - 20 Jan. 2018 at 7:59pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 11:33pm
The problem is just forward of the angle change from the floor to the Toe board Les. I have seen a number of photos of original Hat channel and it all has the flange cut way back in this area to narrow it up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply